Using UPSL to differentiate between addition and subtraction
Examine the bar graph below.
How many more days did it rain in June than in August?
What does it mean to examine the graph?
- All graphs have a title.
- All graphs represent a collection of data.
The key tells us that the maroon bars represent the number of days it rained.
- The left side of this bar graph tells us when the data was collected
The months of May, June, July, and August
- The bottom of this bar graph shows us the amount.
The number of days it rained, each line represents 2 days.
How many days in May did it rain? June? July? August?
ALWAYS write it on the graph.
Now that we have examined the graph we can begin our UPSL strategy to solve the problem!
How to Justify your Answer with College Readiness
- What operation did you use to solve the problem?
- Does your answer make sense?
- How do you know?