Thelma Jones Elementary Week of October 12-18
Greetings Shark Family!
Let's make it a great week!
October 5th-21st- Transfer Window to Change Modes of Instruction for the 3rd Grading Period
October 12th-23rd - Scholastic Virtual Book Fair
October 15th- 2nd Grading Period Progress Reports Posted in Skyward for 2nd-4th grades. Contact your child's teacher(s) if you have questions or concerns about your child's grades.
October 16th- Mobile Book Fair
October 16th- Fall Picture Day for In-Person and Virtual
Picture day is this friday, October 16th for virtual and in-person students
If you are a virtual student, assigned to a teacher at another campus, we still want you to take your picture here at Thelma Jones.
In-person students will be called, by class, to the gym for pictures during the school day.
Virtual students will come to the back of the school and into the parking lot. Students will enter the library to take their picture. Due to protocol and procedures, parents are not allowed to come inside with students. We will have staff members ready to assist students. Pictures can be taken anytime from 8:00a-12:30p on Oct. 16th.
Change in Attendance Protocol for In-Person Students
Please note that beginning Wednesday, Nov. 4, the beginning of the Third Six Weeks grading period, students who have selected in-person instruction will only be counted present when they are physically in class unless they have been quarantined due to COVID-19.
This means that in-person students will no longer be able to turn in assignments by 11:59 p.m. of that day to be counted present. They must be physically present in class to avoid an absence.
Quarantined students will be able to follow current practices to gain attendance for days they are quarantined.
Students enrolled in the MISD Virtual Learning Academy will continue to follow their current attendance practices.
Let's Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
To celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, our students, both in-person and virtual, have had the opportunity to explore the Hispanic Heritage page in the Virtual Music Room! There, they've discovered read-aloud stories about famous musicians such as Tito Puente, Celia Cruz, and Carlos Santana, in the Library. Students can visit the Musician Hall of Fame, where they can experience the music of Hispanic musicians and composers of many different genres. Instruments used in Hispanic music are available to view, and some are even in our classroom! Lastly, students can click on a song that takes them to Musicplay to listen to or learn the song in Spanish! We have had a great time so far! Please visit the Virtual Music Room and choose your grade level to explore! https://sites.google.com/misdmail.net/enrichmentlessons/music
Transfer Window for the 3rd Six weeks is Oct. 5-21!
Parents/guardians wanting to switch modes of instruction for their child (Virtual Learning Academy to in-person or in-person to the Virtual Learning Academy) have the option to do so during the Texas Education Agency’s designated learning transfer windows.
The next opportunity to submit a transfer request from one mode to the other is Oct. 5 through Oct. 21.
Those interested in transferring must log in to their Skyward Family Access account to submit the form within that time frame. Specific instructions are available here. The form will close at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 21. You do not need to fill out the form if you want to stay in your current learning mode.
Transfers submitted during the noted window will take effect on Monday, Nov. 4, which is the first day of the Third Six Weeks grading period. View this calendar to see all the transfer windows and grading periods for the 2020-21 school year.
PLEASE NOTE: Beginning Nov. 4, all students who have selected in-person instruction will only be counted present when they are physically in class unless they have been quarantined due to COVID-19. Quarantined students will be able to follow current practices to gain attendance for days they are quarantined.
After submitting a transfer request, campus personnel will be reaching out to parents to inform them of their child’s schedule changes once those changes are completed.
It is highly encouraged that students commit to a learning option for one semester to ensure continuity of teacher and schedule. View more information about Fall Reopening 2020 here.
Free Meals for Kids - Oct. 1 - Dec. 17
It’s BACK! Free Meals for ALL Kids!
Starting October 1 through December 17, MISD Student Nutrition will offer a holiday special – children may receive one free breakfast and one free lunch every school day!
This promotion applies to in-person learners at all MISD campuses, Virtual Academy students, younger siblings, and non-MISD-students.
Second meals, additional entrees/sides, and snacks will be available to in-person learners to purchase for an additional cost.
In-person learners will access meals as usual at their designated meal periods.
Click the link for details! Free Meals for Kids Information Link
Grades and Expectations!
Please be reminded that virtual students and in-person students follow the same curriculum and grading expectations.
It is IMPERATIVE that your child keep up with his/her assignments and participate in ALL classes every day.
We encourage you to communicate with your child's teachers if your child will be absent, is having technology issues, and/or needs assistance in the class. The teachers are here to help.
If your student is in need of a device, you may use the link below to request one. All remaining requests for devices will be delivered to campuses and parents will be notified. Please note that any device with internet connection can be used to access all apps and programs needed for virtual learning.
NO VISITORS ALLOWED IN THE BUILDING
In order to keep our students and staff safe, no visitors will be allowed in the building. This includes walking your child to class and eating lunch with your child.
If your child forgets his/her lunch and/or any materials needed for their learning, please follow the following procedures:
· Ring the Bell to speak to someone in the front office
· Let them know you are there to drop off your child's lunch and/or materials needed for learning
· Leave your item(s) on a table in the foyer with your child's name on it. It MUST have your child's name on it. Someone will get it off the table and deliver it to your child.
· Exit the building after that. You will not be allowed to come into the front office and/or give your child their item(s).
*This is different than having an appointment and/or being called to come pick up your child due to illness or other circumstances.
Mansfield ISD will provide bus transportation for all students meeting the eligibility requirements for transportation.
Find My Bus
School Bus Rider’s Safety Handbook
For Bus Delays & Substitutions https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j_9bi_plWMqtBDp8AG8B31rb3KzTAOIhRWe8B0CwTnY/edit
QUEST (After School Childcare)
QUEST is Mansfield ISD's before and after-school care program. Students attending the QUEST program are involved in a variety of activities, allowing for creative expression, socialization, and community awareness. Most importantly, students are safe, comfortable, and have fun through a variety of interactive activities. Morning, before school
care, is from 7:00 am – 7:30 am. After school care is from 3:30 pm – 6:30 pm, during school days. For more information please call our Quest office at 817-299-7596 or email us at Quest@misdmail.org.
- Health screenings –Align with the district and have students and staff pre-screen prior to arrival. All QUEST team members will have district badges and key cards so we can utilize it as a tracing function.
- PPE supplies – Student Services has provided the proper PPE supplies to utilize and ordered additional items to safeguard students and staff.
- Cleaning & sanitizing – At the end of each day, the custodial staff will clean every room/area utilized by the QUEST program.
- Instructor: student ratio – 1:12. Every attempt has been made to place students in cohorts, however, this may vary based on enrollment.
- Hand washing – Hand washing will be built into the before and after school program schedules.
- Contactless check-in/out – Quest will be implementing a drive-thru check-in/out procedure. Parents will utilize a PIN to check their child(ren) in/out. A driver’s license will be an added layer of verification at pick up. To assist with a rapid checkout we are strongly encouraging parents to utilize Remind 101 or Class Dojo. A QUEST staff member will meet them at the designated location with the child(ren). Security radios will be used for communication purposes.
- Sick/ill child – Parents of the sick student will be contacted immediately for pick up and custodial services will be informed of area(s) needing to be cleaned/sanitized.
Contact: Tina Cantu
Director of QUEST After School Program
Free and Reduced Lunch Application for the 20-21 School Year *click SchoolCafe' link below*
Do you need to update your email address or phone numbers in Skyward? You can make those changes in Family Access.
- Log into Family Access
- Click on My Account (top right corner)
- When the Account Settings screen opens, there is place for your email address and up to three phone numbers.
- Please note – Each parent/guardian can enter one email address to receive communication via Skyward Message Center.
- Once changes are made, click Save.
If you, parent/guardian, is unable to log into Family Access, there are a couple options:
1 – Use the Forgot Your Password link from the Family Access login page
2 – Email firstname.lastname@example.org