BAMS Staff Newsletter
May 8, 2016 - Volume 3, Issue 32
Be Awesome Today!!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2016, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing rubric score from the September 2015 opinion writing rubric score.
***Mid-Year Update: 62% of our students are showing growth. Grade levels noted that students have shown improvement in "citing and using evidence" in their writing. "Knowing the audience" was a skill that the data showed our students needed improvement in.***
- Have Patience and Courage
- Purposefully Use Learning Targets for Every Lesson
- Have Solution Based Discussions
- Be an Award Winning School - DPI School of Recognition/PBIS School of Merit
Driving Question for 2015-2016:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare all our students for higher level thinking opportunities?
News and Notes
- STAR Make-Ups - Make up tests will be completed by grade level teams. Our goal is to have 100% participation for STAR Reading and Math. If you need help retesting a student please let me know. I have tested students in the past and am happy to help again. :)
- Summer School @ BAMS - Bessie Allen will again be the main building for summer school. As I place summer school classes in rooms, please know that this is determined based on the classes and the needs of the students. If your room wasn't used this summer, it just means it wasn't needed. The list of rooms used for summer school will be finalized soon. Please come see me if you want to know if your room will be used for summer school.
- I will be walking the building with Dave and Ken in the near future to determine building needs for the summer. Please submit a work order for projects you would like to see done over the summer. Dave's team will do their best to complete all tasks requested.
- Please let me know if you are interested in learning more about PLTW within your content area. Next year, we will be learning about this design and are looking to implement this in the 2017-2018 school year.
- Please let me know what you need from me for iPad collection. Decide with your team what is the best day to collect iPads for your students. When you have a date(s) in mind, please pass them to me. Thank you!
- Teacher Effectiveness - Thank you for taking time to work on your evaluation materials. People are putting in time to complete their documentation log. I will be reviewing those during the month of May. When evaluating educators and educational specialists, I will use the artifacts for each year to make a final evaluation. For example, if you are in Year 2, I will look at artifacts from last year and this year. If you are in Year 3, I will be reviewing artifacts for all 3 years to make a final determination for each standard.
- Attendance Reminder - Thank you for helping to keep our students safe by taking accurate attendance.
Out of the Office
- May 11 - BCT Meeting, 8:30-10am, Team Room
- May 10 - Admin Meeting, 9-11am, DMR
- May 18 - Oriole Way Meeting, 7-8am, Team Room
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
Minor Behavior form link - here
Major Behavior form link - here
Why Do We Discipline a Child? = To Maintain Safety, To Teach, and To Build Relationships
- BAMS Buck Blitz This Week - Be on Time - Please look for students being on time this week. Most of our students show this behavior every day. Look for chances to acknowledge this. I will do some announcements about this during the week.
Next Meeting - May 18th, 7am - Team Room
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
Dates to Remember
May 9 - 6th Grade WFE - 3rd/4th Hours
May 10 - 8th Grade STAR Reading in comm skills classes
May 10 - Smiles 4 Life @ BAMS
May 10 - 6th Grade Orientation Night, 5:30-7:30pm
May 11 - Spring Band Concert 6:30pm
May 11 - Spring Choral Concert 7:30pm
May 13 - Writing Sample Data Due to Adam
May 13 - 6th Grade STAR Reading in comm skills classes
May 13 - Audition Session #1 for Talent Show, 8th hour
May 17 - Audition Session #2 for Talent Show, 8th hour
May 17 - BAMS Medal of Excellence Names to Jennifer
May 17 - 6th Grade STAR Math
May 18 - 5th Graders Visit BAMS, 9-11am
May 18 - Staff Meeting 2:50-3:30pm
May 19 - 5th/6th Grade Track Meet,
May 20 - Audition Session #3 for Talent Show, 8th hour
May 23 - School Board Meeting 7pm
May 24 - BAMS Honors Reception 6pm
May 25 - 8th Gr. Food & Snack Convention for Mr. Wismer’s class (3rd hour)
May 27 - Fourth Quarter Pep Assembly 1:45pm *5th Graders in attendance
May 30 - No School
*See Google Doc titled "2015-2016 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.