Earth Science Water Project

Water Distribution and Conservation By Helia Rahimian

Water Conservation

Fresh water is what life needs to survive. There is approximately 3% of freshwater available the earth! The remaining 97% of the water on the earth is salt water from oceans. The sources of fresh water are groundwater and surface water such as rivers, streams, glaciers, and lakes. The main sources of salt water are from oceans and seas. The usable water is mainly coming from groundwater and surface water after appropriate treatment depending on it’s application such as drinking water and irrigation water.The following image shows the freshwater and saltwater distribution.

Water Conservation


  • Check faucets and pipes for leaks

  • Take shorter showers

  • Turn off the water after you wet your toothbrush

  • Use dishwasher and clothes washers only for full loads

  • Water your lawn only if it needs to be watered