- Sept 19-22: MAP Math Testing 1st-5th
9/21- EPIC @ Feed My Starving Children, Culver's Night in Libertyville
9/27, EPIC Parents Night Out at RJ's Eatery
10/4- Early Release @ 1:00
10/9- No School- Indigenous Peoples Day
10/10- No School- In-service Day
10/10- EPIC Family Fun @ Patch 22
10/13-10/14- EPIC Resale
- Brad's BookWorms Reading Program
- Breastfest 2023
- 23/24 MES Goals
- Common Formative Assessments
- 23/24 Yearbook Orders
- 23/24 Parent/Student Handbook
- Substitutes Wanted
- EPIC News
2023/2024 MES School Goals
This week we shared at Parent Night our goals for this school year. We will continue our focus on student growth in ELA and Math, but this year focus on our students hitting their growth targets set by NWEA. The national average of students hitting their growth target is 50%. Our goals are:
- In the area of ELA, 57% (22/23 = 56%) of Millburn Elementary School students will meet their targeted growth goal on the Reading MAP assessment from Fall 2023 to Spring 2024.
- In the area of Math, 60% (22/23 = 59.1%) of Millburn Elementary School students will meet their targeted growth goal on the MAP assessment.
- Increase a sense of belonging in our school community.
Common Formative Assessments (CFAs)
Over the few years, our school has been working on developing common expectations for our learning targets in both ELA and Math. The learning targets were then turned into proficiency scales, descriptions of our targets and what we expect to see with students for each trimester. As we then prepare lessons we ask ourselves three questions:
- What do we want student to know?
- How are we going to teach it?
- How will we know if they learned it?
Knowing if students learned a concept will be through assessments. We began to create common formative assessments, also known as CFAs. Common formative assessments are team-designed, intentional measures used for the purpose of monitoring student attainment of essential learning targets throughout the instructional process. In addition to providing information about which students need additional support or extension, common formative assessments allow teams to examine the effects of their practice, and gain insight as to which instructional strategies yield high levels of learning. Furthermore, the data can be used to provide frequent feedback to students that they can use to adjust their own learning strategies.
Our teams will be meeting after each CFA given throughout the year to review the data, make adjustments, and take action steps. CFAs are designed to give educators information on how to adjust teaching and provide support for student so they are successful.
23/24 Yearbook Orders
The 23/24 Student/Parent Handbook is available on our website. Click the button below to access the handbook.