Community supports during school closure (3/17/20 edition)
¿Necesita traducción? Seleccione su idioma usando la función Google Translate en la parte inferior del boletín.
Dear Kinnaman Community,
I hope this message finds you and your loved ones happy and healthy. Although our school is currently closed to students, our secretary, administrators, custodians, and select Nutrition Services staff have been working to continue supporting our community.
Thank you for your continued dedication, sacrifice, and flexibility in these uncertain times. Please know that we are all doing our best to protect our students, staff, and the communities we call home. Communication and updates will continue to be provided by the District as information becomes available.
Many of our teachers sent home activities students can do while at home last Friday. BSD compiled strategies and educational activities that families can use to keep students engaged in learning during the school closure. My son has been completing the middle school activities to add structure to his new daily routine and I've enjoyed receiving updates about what he's learning and thinking about throughout the day. Please check out the Remote Learning Page for more details.
At this time, we are still planning for school to resume on April 1. Please continue to watch your email for messages from our District regarding plans moving forward because guidance has been evolving rapidly over the last few days.
In the sections below, you will find a range of resources. I hope you find them helpful. I really miss having our staff and students here at school! Thank you for all you are doing to keep children reading, writing, thinking mathematically, and moving around each day while at home!
Learning Activities at Home
- Check out this link for daily activities in all content areas for each grade level: bit.ly/BSDremotelearning
- Keep a daily journal
- Write books or stories to share when you return to school
- Complete activities on Kahn Academy at https://www.khanacademy.org/
- Use the link from Scholastic for daily activities: www.scholastic.com/learnathome
- Register on the Outschool website, which is now offering free classes for families affected by school closures.
- Play board games, card games, and dice games - here's a link to some resources.
- Watch Mo Willems in his studio every day for his LUNCH DOODLE at 1:00 pm ET (10:00 am in Portland). Learners worldwide can draw, doodle and explore new ways of writing by visiting Mo’s studio virtually once a day for the next few weeks.
- Visit https://www.kennedy-center.org/education/mo-willems/ to watch all of Mo Willems's videos, find activity sheets to print out & follow along, and more!
Resources for Books
Our local libraries have recently closed, but hopefully your children brought enough books home last Friday to sustain them for awhile. We have a cart of free take home books in the front of the school during our meal services, feel free to come grab as many books as you need! You can also find books online at these sites:
- Login to Clever then use Bookshelf to read books by IRLA level
- Login to Clever then use Sora to check out ebooks
- Login to Epic - Access is free between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm with a class code
- Check out ebooks from the Washington County Library, including Tumblebooks
- Register your Washington County Library Card on Sora and get access to digital books from both the BSD Library and the Washington County Library.
- The Beaverton School District is providing free meals at several sites between 11:00 and 12:00 this week and on March 30 and March 31. Kinnaman Elementary is one of the free meal sites for people 18 years of age and younger.
- Food from our School Pantry will be available for pick up tomorrow (March 18th) from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in front of the school.
- Anyone can call 211 for assistance with housing, childcare, utility bills, or if you have health and safety questions or need any other resources. Help is available in several languages. You can also get help online at http://211.org/.
- The Oregon Food Bank is open. Check here for more information: https://www.oregonfoodbank.org/.
- All families can set up free internet access for 2 months through Comcast. Go here for details: https://www.internetessentials.com/ or call 1-855-846-8376.
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.