WMS Summer News- August 14, 2023
A Note from the Desk of Ms. Serino, Westland principal
SPONSOR A BACKPACK FULL OF SUPPLIES?
Final Sneak Peek Orientations for Students New To Westland on Tuesday, Aug 15
Chromebooks Distributed to New Students This Week (Aug 15 or Aug 18)
FAQ: What if we can't make it on 8/15 or 8/18?
A new student can get a Chromebook on the mini day on Aug 24, a new parent can get their child a Chromebook at back to school night on Aug 24 or a new student will get a Chromebook the first or second day of school.
FAQ: Does the school supply Chromebook bags or sleeves?
We do not have cases to distribute so we would recommend purchasing a padded sleeve when you shop for Back to School supplies.
FALL ATHLETIC TRYOUTS- Registration opens online tomorrow, August 14.
KEY RESOURCES TO REGISTER FOR FALL ATHLETICS
- Athletic Registration Video - A quick video for parents/guardians on how to register their students in athletics.
- ParentVue Guide - A "Quick Guide to ParentVue for Athletics" in English for parents/guardians when registering their students for athletics.
- ParentVue Guide - A "Quick Guide to ParentVue for Athletics" in Spanish for parents/guardians when registering their students for athletics.
- ParentVue Guide - A "How to Guide" for parents/guardians for Getting Started with ParentVUE.pdf
- Care for Kids - A health care program that provides access to health care services for uninsured children in Montgomery County.
- Clinics for Sports Physicals - an annual list released by MCPS Athletics, pricing is subject to change
Summer MYP Exploration for All Westland Students/Staff
An all-school read (It Wasn't Me) and online assignments
Each summer, Westland students and staff read a text that explores a compelling issue(s). (This year our issues are focused on building community and repairing harm to a community.) Students also complete several assignments within an online classroom. This work leads into further school-wide exploration and action in the fall.
Please come by the school between 8:30-3:30 to borrow a copy of the text, It Wasn't Me by Dana Alison Levy or get a copy from your local library! You can borrow it for the month of August. Just bring it back to the main office when school starts.
Click here for details. MYP Summer Read/Exploration
Frequently Asked Question: Is the book required?
Answer: No, but highly recommended since we will be working with the characters' perspectives and the themes throughout the first part of the year. The overarching themes of building community and repairing community are essential.
Summer Learning for All Westland Students
Summer Math- practice exercises
We encourage Westland students to complete material for the math class they are enrolled in this fall to keep their math brains sharp. Click here. Westland Summer Math Practice
Summer Reading- book (of your choice) and postcard
We ask Westland students to read a book of their choice and complete a post card-sized review that can be mailed, dropped off over the summer or submitted to English teachers when students arrive to school in the fall. Click here. Westland Summer Reading Postcard Template
Frequently Asked Question: Will you please give our kids more math and reading work this summer?
No, because our teachers won't be launching the year with time spent on feedback on summer work. But as parents, you can give them more!!!! Click below to learn about the summer reading challenge and a free, Kid Museum opportunity.
PARENT/CAREGIVER INFO SESSIONS- THIS THURSDAY AUG 17 (and also on SEPT 11)- BILINGUAL
This Thursday, August 17 at 6 PM join Ms. Serino, principal, and other key staff will review the most important information for the start of school.
NEW!!!! At 6:45 PM (on August 17 only) we will shift to a meeting with parents of students in our Autism Resource Services program.
On September 11 at 6 PM, after your kids have had nine days of school, Ms. Serino will offer another session to fill in any gaps.
Meeting ID: 973 2464 3856
WE'VE RE-OPENED AN ONLINE CLOTHING STORE- Now through Sept 8
Order Physical Education (PE) clothes or cool clothes to wear around. Items will be delivered to students at school in late September/early October.
(PE teachers will also have some t shirts, shorts and sweats to sell on site when we return to school.)
Visit the store here https://westland2023-2.itemorder.com/shop/home/
A 3-ring binder with locking rings or an accordian file
A pencil pouch
Pens, pencils, highlighters
A set of colored pencils
Headphones or earbuds
Non-aerosol deodorant (for PE)
Athletic shoes (for PE)- wear them or leave them in a PE locker
We supply a Chromebook and charger- you label them!
We supply combination locks
A change of clothes for PE
A planner/calendar book
A reusable water bottle
A case or sleeve for your Chromebook
A sharpie or labels to label your stuff
Me? I use a sharpie for my kids, but if you are already going to purchase labels for your kid's water bottle, lunch box, trumpet case, etc. why not support a Westland fundraiser?
20% of Back to School Sale in progress!
A MINI DAY for NEW STUDENTS NEXT WEEK- August 24
On Thursday, August 24 from 8:15-12:00 noon, we invite all 6th graders and new 7th and 8th graders INSIDE the school for a mini day. Students will receive their schedules and meet their teachers during short visits in each class.
Students who have attended Westland in the past should not attend this event so we can focus on our new kids!
School buses will run! It is a practice day for our drivers too.
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT NEXT WEEK- August 24
Main Office (240.740.5850)
Principal- Ms. Alison Serino, Alison_L_Serino@mcpsmd.org
Assistant Principal- Ms. Karen Bryant, Karen_Y_Tucker@mcpsmd.org
Assistant Principal- Ms. Vernitta Tucker, Vernitta_Tucker@mcpsmd.org
Administrative Secretary- Ms. Terri Howells, Mary_T_Howells@mcpsmd.org
Financial Specialist- Ms. Suzanne Marcou, Suzanne_W_Marcou@mcpsmd.org
Counseling/Registrar Office (240.740.5860)
Counseling Chairperson/8th grade counselor- Ms. Caryn Fischer, Caryn_Fischer@mcpsmd.org
6th Grade Counselor- Ms. Laura Williams, Laura_K_Williams@mcpsmd.org
7th Grade Counselor- Ms. Lauren Geissel, Lauren_Geissel@mcpsmd.org
8th Grade Counselor- Ms. Ashley Harper, Ashley_Harper@mcpsmd.org
Counseling Office Secretary- Ms. (Sara) Sally Belott, Sara_A_Belott@mcpsmd.org
CALENDAR- NEW EVENTS ADDED IN BOLD
- August 1-24- come by the main office to borrow a book that we are ALL reading this summer- It Wasn't Me by Dana Alison Levy
- M, 8/14- MCPS opens Fall Athletics online registration through ParentVue- 7th and 8th grade only
- Tu, 8/15- 2-4 PM- Chromebook distribution for new students- no appointment necessary
- Th, 8/17- 6:00 PM- Zoom info session for parents/caregivers (bilingual in Spanish)
- F, 8/18- 8:30-10:30 AM- Chromebook distribution for new students- no appointment necessary
- Tu, 8/24- 8:15-12:00 noon- Mini Day for students new to Westland (MCPS buses will run)
- Tu, 8/24- 6:30-8:20 PM- Back to School Night for ALL Parents and Caregivers
- M, 8/28- 8:15-3:00- First Day of School for Students
- W, 8/30- Town Hall Info Sessions for Students during PE
- F, 9/1- Student ID/yearbook photos taken during PE classes
- M, 9/4- Labor Day Holiday- No School
- F, 9/8- Back to School Family Picnic (PTA Event!) 6-8 PM (No rain date. We'll just bring the party inside.)
- M, 9/11- 6:00 PM- Zoom info session for parents/caregivers (bilingual in Spanish)
- Tu, 9/12- First Day for Cross Country and Softball Tryouts- 7th and 8th graders only
- Tu, 9/19- 6:40 PM- Parent Mtg about Family Life Health Curriculum- hybrid format- Zoom and in person
- F, 9/22- Early Release Day- Student Dismissed at 12:30 PM
- M, 9/25- No School for Students and Teachers
- Th, 9/28- 6th Grade Team Building All Day (In School Field Trip)