NC State Agronomy
Help the world grow plant growth is getting slow
Panel 2 Mechanical vs Chemical weathering
Chemical weathering : A change that results in the formation of a new chemical substance.
(examples) Rust forming from water, gasoline igniting, or hydrogen peroxide bubbling and fizzing in a open cut.
Panel 3 Soil Formation/Composition/Horizon/Texture
Soil texture- Sandy soil is more coarse and grainy then soil with a lot of clay that will be a lot more smooth.
Soil horizons- A layer of soil that differs in color and texture from layers above and below it.
Soil composition- Soil is a mixture of rock particles, minerals, decayed organic materials, air and water.
Panel 4 Soil Formation Rate
Panel 5 Remote Sensing
Panel 6 Importance of Soil
Panel 7 Common Misuses of Soil and the Negative Outcomes
- Soil is often taken for granite.
- People dig it up
- Things are built on perfectly good soil
- Often times is not keep up well enough to be used
- The soil losses its minerals way faster then it gains them.
- Farmers often farm the wrong direction on hills causing the soil to wash away then boom it's gone in the blink of an eye
- It will take soil 100-500 years to grow 1 inch of soil
- Bad dry topsoil causes bad dust storms
- Soil is what grows our food source without it we can't eat
Panel 8 Soil Stewardship
Advances in this field of agronomy: It is just the beginning but people are just now starting to realize how important this matter is. Compost bins and piles are growing more popular and we need this situation to be recognized more at events like earth day.