Social Studies Department Updates
We sometimes emerge from behind our computers!
GCSS State Fair Announcement
Did you know that you can grade quizzes directly from the gradebook and get the feedback to show up in the grade tool for the students?
2. Select Attempt 1 in the grade book, grade, and save.
3. Select completion summary in the small attempt window.
4. Enter overall feedback and save. Your feedback shows in your grade column and to the students and QAS.
See images below.
We have some reminders for you.
Put a comment or grading stamp to accompany 0 grades in the gradebook feedback box. The comment must include the late policy . Continue to enter the policy for non responsive students as well.
All quizzes, discussions, and dropbox items must have feedback.
Contact stakeholders of failing students. Check stakeholders listed in Thesis before replying to requests for information about students.
Be sure accommodations for extended time are in place in the quiz section.
Add a grading comment to items with accommodations for extra time and reduced schedules.
Update course news weekly. You can compose these ahead of time and schedule them. Mark the items expired, but do not delete them when you no longer want them to show in the course so that a record of these announcements shows. You may want to reuse them next semester. If you delete, they disappear forever. Some things are forever.
- Post your remediation opportunities with a deadline to student submissions. Confer with others teaching the same courses to plan for differentiation and remediation items.
Web 2.0 Tools
Final Exam Review
1. Extra Points: Students may be given an opportunity to earn extra points on an existing assignment by submitting corrections or revising the assignment in accordance with the instructor’s feedback. An opportunity to earn extra points should be worth no more than 10% of the assignment value (original maximum assignment value). Extra points should be added to the original assignment grade; and a note should be included in the assignment feedback. Since opportunities should be offered to all students, a student may earn extra points in excess of 100%. Teachers will need to modify the grade item settings to allow the grade to exceed 100%. To modify the grade item settings, teachers will:
* Select Manage Grades
* Locate and select the grade item you need to modify
* Select the radio button next to “Can Exceed”
2. Extra Learning Opportunity: Students may be given the opportunity to replace a grade on a previous assignment by completing an entirely different assignment that addresses the same standards as the original assignment. The replacement grade should take the place of the original grade in the gradebook; and a note should be included in the assignment feedback.
When offering students an opportunity for remediation please adhere to the following guidelines:
* If remediation or enrichment opportunities are offered, they should be available to all students.
* Remediation or enrichment grades should be a part of a current grade item and NOT a separate bonus item.