Do you need help?
What is it?
In many situations phillias develop during adolescence typically linked with a fantasy and continue into adulthood.
- Traditional Psychotherapy
- Behavioral Therapy - Orgasmic Reconditioning or Masturbatory Extinction
- Support Groups
More information regarding treatment options can be found at http://www.sevencounties.org/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=29729&cn=10
Myths about Paraphilic Disorders
- Every person suffering from a paraphilic disorder is a pedophile - False - The focus of paraphilic Disorders can be in relation to many different things not just children.
- The person just needs to think right - False - Individuals who suffer from this disorder need professional assistance to cope and rehabilitate themselves, it is not as simple as a quick change of thought.
- All pedophiles have sex with children - False - "People who are sexually attracted to children and have sex with children are pedophiles. Howerever, there is a much larger percentage of individuals who have pedophilic fantasies yet never disclose or execute them" ("paraphilia | thehumanpuzzle," 2012)
- Every paraphilic is a sex offender - False - Not all people who suffer from Paraphillic disorders are convicted sex offenders, many times these individuals do not act on their impulses.
How to Overcome a Paraphilic Disorder
- Find a professional who can guide you through the process
- Find support through friends, family or groups
- Follow your treatment plan
Finding a Professional
In the state of Michigan a behavioral therapist must have a Graduate Degree and have passed the National Counselor Examination.
Finding someone who specializes in Paraphilic Disorders will be beneficial as this individual will already have knowledge of treatment plans that can help you.
Glik, D. (2007). The Fun World of Philias [Drawing]. Retrieved from http://www.scicommbobulate.com/blog/2013/04/penis-length-virginities-and.html
Paraphilia Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - How common are paraphilias? - MedicineNet. (2014). Retrieved from http://www.medicinenet.com/paraphilia/page2.htm
paraphilia | thehumanpuzzle. (2012, August 17). Retrieved from http://thehumanpuzzle.wordpress.com/tag/paraphilia/
Paraphilias | Psychology Today. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/paraphilias