P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
During the month of November, we will be participating a Gratitude Challenge where students name a specific thing they are grateful for and why. We started it on November 1st. We named someone we are grateful for and why; something that makes us smile and why; a food you love and why (mine was pizza because I love the taste of a hot slice with the cheese almost falling off); someone that goes unnoticed and why. Expressing gratitude helps us stop and think about something other than ourselves or our situations.
📢On Monday, November 7th, our 3rd to 5th grade students will be casting their vote for P.S. 188Q Student Council Executive Board members. The students running for office will be giving a speech and students will then go and vote. Stay tuned for the results!
📅No school for students on Tuesday, November 8th for Election Day. Please exercise your right to vote.
🥇No school for students on Friday, November 11th in honor of Veteran's Day. Be sure to thank those men and women that served in our countries Armed Forces. The students will watch a video this week of me interviewing my dad, Jerry Owen, a Vietnam War Veteran. Ask your child about it.
🚗Stop-Drop-and-Go at the Main:
We need volunteers to help out at stop-drop-and-go. Please reach out the PTA if you would like to volunteer.
Also, we need you to drive safely while waiting for someone to open your car door and let the students out. Please do not cut others off. We need your help with this.
🛑ConEdison continues to work on Hartland Avenue in front of the school. It should not interfere with arrival or dismissal.
🗨PTA School Store is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday mornings from 7:40-7:55 a.m.
😁The P.S 188 Snack Shack is now selling water. Everything from the Snack Shack is $1. All proceeds will be used for supplies and events for the students.
📖November's Book of the Month is A Little Spot of Confidence. Grades 1-5 had their Book of the Month Assembly this past week and PreK and K will be having their assembly on Monday. Please have your child wear their PS 188 blue trip shirt or any blue shirt. Each month we will be asking students to wear their PS 188 blue shirts (or a blue shirt) for our Book of the Month assemblies to show our PS 188 school pride! Teachers will be working on activities to do in classrooms throughout the month to highlight the DESSA Competencies the book highlights which are: optimistic thinking, self-awareness, goal directed behavior, personal responsibility, and self-management. Have your read our newsletter linked below?
💻Virtual STEM Night for grades 3-5 on December 1st! Sign up below!
Have a question? Contact us:
Election Day Bake Sale---5th Grade Graduation Committee Fundraiser
The 5th Graduation Committee will be having an Election Day Bake Sale on Tuesday, November 8th in the Main Building from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Please stop by and purchase an item to support the 5th Grade Graduating Class.
We are also looking for volunteers and donations for the Bake Sale.
Want to donate goods to be sold at our bake sale-
Please see the link below to Volunteer.
Thank you so much,
25 Day Gratitude Challenge
📚Book of the Month Assembly--Confidence and Optimistic Thinking
Morgan Library Classroom Visit--Thank You PTA!
We Love to Learn!
Thank You to My Snack Shack Helpers!
Virtual STEM Night for Grades 3-5💻
Fill out the Google Form below to sign up for our first ever Virtual STEM Night. This is for students in grades 3-5. It should be a great event!
Dear PS 188 Q Families, We are excited to share that on December 1st, we will be having P.S. 188's FIRST ever virtual STEM night for students in 3rd through 5th grade from 5:15 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. via zoom. If you are interested in joining us, please submit this form by Friday, November 11th.
☕Coffee and Conversations November 2nd
- November 7th: Student Council Executive Board elections---3rd, 4th and 5th grade students will vote; PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirts
- November 8th: Election Day- Students do not attend school; DESSA administration begins; PTA Sponsored Bake Sale---Volunteers needed
- November 10th: 1st grade trip to Queens Botanical Gardens; CDEC meeting 7:00 p.m. TBD
- November 11th: No School Veteran's Day
- November 15th: Parent DEI Meeting @ 9:30 a.m. virtually
- November 16th: PTA Meeting Virtual 7:00 p.m.
- November 18th: Student DEI group meeting @ 7:30 a.m. in Library
- November 21st: Photo Retake Day
- November 24th-25th: Thanksgiving Break
- November 29th and 30th: Scholastic Book Fair in both Annex and Main
- December 1st: Grades 3-5 STEM Night from 5:45-7:00 p.m.; Middle School Application closes
- December 2nd: Marking Period 1 ends
- 12/5-12/09: Computer Science for All week
- December 5th: PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirt
- December 6th: Parent DEI Committee Meeting @ 9:30 a.m.
- December 7th: Grades 1-5 Book of the Month assembly---wear P.S. 188Q trip shirt; SLT Meeting TBD
- December 8th: CDEC Meeting 7:00 p.m. TBD
- December 9th: Teachers and Writers Collaborative begins for 3-216, 3-218, 4-313, 4-316
- December 12th: 5th grade trip to view Strange World at College Point Multiplex
- December 13th: 1-101 trip to Bayside Historical Society
- December 15th: 1-119 trip to Bayside Historical Society; Report Cards Available on NYCSA
- December 16th: Student DEI group meeting @ 7:30 a.m. in Library
- December 20th: 1-102 trip to Bayside Historical Society
- December 21st: 1-118 trip to Bayside Historical Society; PTA Meeting on Zoom at 7:00 p.m. virtually
- December 22nd: Alley Pond in-class visit to PreK B8 and B9
- December 24th to January 2nd: Winter Recess