· During the Industrial Revolution who set prices for clothing? Who sets prices now?
· What happened in Bangladesh in 2013 to draw world attention to the garment industry there?
· Describe the increase in clothing production and clothing seasons using numbers.
· Why is clothing a deflationary product?
· When production costs have to be cut who is squeezed? How did some of the factory owners in the documentary respond to this squeeze?
· How and why is the environment impacted by this increased production and disposal of clothing?
Divided over Bangladesh
Discussion and Reading Comprehension
- What responsibility do Western companies have to ensure the health and safety of the workers who manufacture the clothing they sell?
- Which response is better: the Walt Disney Company’s decision to stop manufacturing in Bangladesh or Loblaw’s decision to stay in Bangladesh and push for tougher safety standards? Why?
- Do we as consumers have any responsibility for the workers in other countries who make our clothing? If yes, how do we exercise that responsibility? What should or can we do?