The Wilmot Word: 5-13-22
The LIVE! Annual Wilmot Talent Show is BACK! Students in 3rd- 5th Grades (2nd posting)
Wilmot Students and Families,
The LIVE! Annual Wilmot Talent Show is BACK! Students in 3rd- 5th grade may audition for this exciting event! In order to ensure participants are prepared, please submit your video auditions by Monday May 23rd to Mrs. Dimas at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Group acts encouraged! Solo acts must consult with Mrs. Dimas prior to auditions. Acts can include but are not limited to, karate, gymnastics, dance, singing, piano, and magic. Please use parental discretion regarding the content of your student’s act (music, lyrics, dance moves, costumes). Acts will not be included in the talent show if the content or costume is inappropriate or students are unprepared at auditions. If participating in a group act, please remember to keep appropriate distances!
All acts should be 90 seconds (1 min 30 sec) or less. If your act is longer, we will need to shorten it.
Different from years past, there will be a limited stage crew (5th grade only). Please remain Mrs. Dimas if you are interested in joining the crew.
We will hold the talent show on June 1st during the school day. Livestreaming will be available for families.
We are looking forward to having a great show!
May Mash-Up - Spirit Month
Wilmot Students have been working exceptionally hard this year and deserve to celebrate! Join our school as we make each day in May special with a Wilmot Spirit Month. Click below to learn more about these special activities.
It's Time To Order School Supplies for the 2022-2023 School Year!
Starting today, April 14th, families are welcome to order school supply kits through the North Shore Coalition website. North Shore Coalition is a division of the Riverside Foundation, a 501 (c)(3) IL non-profit that provides vocational, residential, and recreational services to people with developmental disabilities. Please click the link below to order school supplies for Kindergarten-5th grade. As a reminder, assignment notebooks are required for all 4th and 5th-grade students. All supply kits must be ordered by June 1.
Thank you for supporting the PTO and North Shore Coalition!
Lost and Found
Band and Orchestra Registration Now Open for 3rd Grade Students
Sign-ups for trying out a band and orchestra instruments are now OPEN! Please head to our registration website to access a link to the signups. We're asking all families to register by Friday, May 20th to ensure that we're prepared and ready for your child! If you were unable to attend our virtual open house this Monday, you'll also find a recording of our presentation as well as a copy of our slide deck (scroll down to the bottom of the home page to access both of these resources). If you have any questions about the registration process or anything regarding instrumental music next year, please reach out to email@example.com.
The DPS109 Instrumental Music Team
Kindergarten Music Concert and Art Share- May 24
- The daytime kindergarten music concert will be held on Tuesday, May 24 at 9:20 am. Parents and guests will join us during the day for a virtual concert.
- The evening concert will include an art share and will be held in person. Students may bring up to 3 guests with them for the evening concert and art share.
- Please enter through the gym doors on the northeast side of the building.
- Students and their 3 guests may arrive at 5:45 pm to view student artwork.
- Students will meet their classroom teacher on the stage in the big gym at 6 pm.
- The music show will start at 6:10 pm.
How will the Art Share Work?
On Tuesday, May 24th, right before or right after the Music Show (you can choose either time), we will be having an Art Share in the same room as the concert! An “Art Share” is when students share their artwork with their families. (It will take about 10 minutes). Since this is taking place at the end of the year, Kindergarten students will actually be sharing ALL of their artwork from the entire year! And, thanks to Trader Joe’s, ALL of your child’s artwork will be conveniently packed in one big paper bag! The Art Share will pretty much look like this:
- Students and their families will find the appropriate bag from a specific area in the gym. -Students and their guests will sit on the floor or on chairs, and go through all of the artwork from the school year.
- Students will share thoughts regarding their art pieces, such as which project was their favorite, what materials they used to make each project, etc.
- If your child will not be at the Art Share/ Music concert, no worries, they will just take home their Art bag later in the week. )
Erin's Law Presentation - Rescheduled for May 16, 2022
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Erin’s Law (House Bill 6193) was signed by Governor Pat Quinn on January 24, 2013. This law requires schools to implement an age-appropriate sexual assault and abuse awareness and prevention curriculum for grades Pre-K through 12. District 109 partners with Childhood Victories, Inc., an organization founded by Victor Pacini who is a motivational speaker and a survivor of sexual abuse. Speakers from Childhood Victories, Inc. provide programming for our students that teaches them basic skills to keep them safe from dangerous or abusive situations. The program, Be Seen and Heard 2.0, is developmentally appropriate, interactive, aligned with learning standards, and will cover the following topics:
Distinguishing safe from unsafe touches
Safety rules at home and school
It’s not the child’s fault if someone touches them
Telling a trusted adult
The staff from Childhood Victories, Inc. will be presenting to our elementary students on the following dates:
Wilmot: Monday, May 16
Parents can view Victor Pacini’s parent video to preview the concepts of the Be Seen and Heard 2.0 program.
Assistant Superintendent for Student Services
What to do if your child is not returning to Wilmot next year? (ongoing posting)
If you have a current K-4th grade student who is not returning to Wilmot next year, please complete this form as soon as possible. This information not only supports us with making class placements but knowing your child is moving allows us to prepare for your child's transition. Prior to your child's last day at Wilmot, we will prepare all records for transfer. As a reminder, our school office will not be open during the summer months. Please complete this form even if your child is transferring to another DPS109 school.
Team Give's Philanthropy Fair
- Team Give students will run booths on the blacktop selling baked goods and running games.
- Prices range from $1-$2
- All proceeds go to Kidsave, an organization working to rescue orphans from Ukraine.
Save the Date! Spring Book Event Fundraiser for Wilmot!
- Kickoff Party Deerfield Square Patio: Friday, May 20 from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- Book Buying Barnes & Noble - Saturday and Sunday, May 21-22.
We have resumed our normal Shield Testing schedule will continue to test on Thursday mornings.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO FILL OUT THE SHIELD CONSENT FORM please
log in to Skyward/Family Access and it should appear as a green box next to your child’s name. Contact Kelly Mitchell (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any Family Access questions.
IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO OPT OUT OF A WEEK OF TESTING…
- Click here to fill out the required Google Form by 8:00 am each Wednesday (the day prior to Thursday testing):
Save the Date
Wednesday, May 18
- Philanthropy Fair - outside after school (2:30 – 3:30)
Thursday, May 19
- 4th/5th Band and Orchestra Evening Concert
Friday, May 20
- PTO Barnes and Noble Event
Tuesday, May 24
- Kindergarten Music Show and Art Share- The morning show is at 9:20 and 5th grade will attend - evening concert is 6:10 pm
Thursday, May 26
- BOE meeting - Wilmot presents to the Board
Monday, May 30
- No School - Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 31
- Field Day
Wednesday, June 1
- Talent Show - 9:00 ish
- 5th grade celebration/picnic
Thursday, June 2
- 5th grade Fly Up Transition Day at Caruso
Friday, June 3
- 5th-grade breakfast - before school
- Awards assembly – time TBD
- Early dismissal at 11:40