TOAST Weekly Newsletter
Week of Feb. 1st- Feb. 5th, 2016
TOAST and Magnet School Certification: TEAM WORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
A team of teacher leaders from TOAST attended a meeting at ASH with our district magnet schools. The meeting was facitiliated by Magnet Schools for America ( MSA). MSA is a national organization that has one mission, "Providing leadership for high quality innovative instructional programs that promote choice, equity, diversity, and academic excellence for all students."
MSA's main goal is to help shape and create the future of Magnet Schools. TOAST is joining forces with ASH, Montessori and DCS in an effort to move our magnet schools forward through the guidance of experts around Magnet Schools.
The team of teacher leaders selected will be working in collaboration with the Theme Team at TOAST as we navigate through the 5 Pillars of the MSA action plan with the end goal of earning our Magnet School Certification. The video below was presented to me during a debriefing with the Magnet School Certification Team and they asked me one simple question after viewing it. " What stands out to you in this video?"
After you watch the video below, I would like you to answer the same question. You can email me your answer or just have a conversation around it.
Magnet School Focus Team: Tina Cascone/ Claudia Lo/ Amanda Bell/Emily Shoop/ Robin Johnson/Mildred Forte/Rebecca Hughes/Andrea DeLollo **Focus on TOAST and our Magnet School Certification/Working with MSA/ Collaborate with Theme Team when needed to ensure we are aligned with the work needed in the 5 Pillars towards Magnet School Certification**
Theme Team: Deb Whipple/Kelly Kardas/Kate Wright/Art Flynn/Jamie Holmes/Kim Reynolds **Focus on School Themes through collaboration with teachers/ collaborate with Magnet School Focus Team as needed to ensure we are aligned with the work needed in the 5 Pillars towards Magnet School Certification**
Reminder: Announced Lockdown Drill Scheduled for Feb. 8th, 2016. Practice the expected behaviors with scholars!
Black History Month: Books for Your Learning Enviornment/Building Project
This year I have purchased 2 texts for each employee at TOAST. The plan is for each grade level to read the books with their scholars and create a visual project for display created for each grade level team. The following titles have been purchased and will be distributed for you all next week. These books are for your classroom library and 2 of my favorite books. I am looking forward to seeing what each grade level comes up with to showcase these books. It will be great to see teachers and scholars throughout the building able to share a conversation around these 2 books by the end of the month. I have a few extra copies if I have missed anyone...:-)
Author: Jacqueline Woodson
Books: Visiting Day and The Other Side
***REPORT CARDS GO HOME FOR ALL SCHOLARS: Tuesday, Feb. 2nd, 2016***
The Power of Positive Thinking!
**Thank you to Ms. Blanchard and her 6th grade scholars for literally flagging me down to share a similar video on the overall brain functions in regards to positivity and how it impacts one thought process and even sleep patterns! That visit to her room and with her scholars set me on a path to ensure that the "Power of Positive" is always within my day and part of my daily routines. Negativity can be found everywhere, but will only impact you if you let it..:-)**
District Budget Presentation at TOAST
Monday, Feb. 8th, 6:30-7:30pm
Thomas O'Brien Academy of Science & Technology, Albany, NY, United States
- All scholars are to have a pass when in the hallways.
- Remind scholars that they are to stay to the right while in the halls and on stairs. Our lunch staff have made some great new signs by the stairs that lead up to the cafeteria and small gym for scholars and staff.
- Take time to reach out to your families regarding breakfast. Some teachers have already created a breakfast survey or have simply DOJO'd families about breakfast needs. It has helped them tremendously to determine who should be going to breakfast in the morning or who is not.
- Don't forget to sign up for your PBIS celebration time. Sign-ups are in the office on the counter.
- Attendance is due by 9:00am
- SMILE!!!!! Your smile is what scholars see first they enter the school and last when they leave. Never forget a smile goes a long way..:-)
- Take time to enjoy the little moments with your scholars. Always remember, little moments lead to BIG SUCCESSES!