Team News 9.29
Daring Greatly in Faith, Academics, & Service for SMCS
It's Solidarity Month!!!
We will be focusing on the Catholic Social Teaching of Solidarity in National Bully Prevention Month (October). October 1 is national solidarity day where we all wear orange---so go crazy, wear all the orange you have! See the dragon roar for the parent introduction.
Mrs. Moncrief is working with our Public speaking crew as you heard over announcements. Throughout this month please focus with your kids on solidarity. This is month we will gear up for our service projects!
Check your email for the solidarity activities from Mrs. Moncrief and our Archdiocesan Counseling team to do on October 1. We are pushing forward with our monthly themes! More to follow at our team meeting.
Activities to do on October 1
Footprints on ORANGE PAPER (documents attached)
Make Solidarity (unity crowns) and decorate them. The word will be “UNITY”"
Activities to do on October 1
3 -8th grade: Each child gets a set of footprints to decorate (document attached).
On one foot they write something that they can do to prevent bullying… the other they can decorate as they want (or write a positive note)…
Then we can stick the footprints on the walls (classroom or hallway)
September Challenge: Did anyone do it? Did you make a positive call home?
I made two. It was a mix of joy and then a parent saying "wait. what? you are doing standardized testing now?" Insert forehead smacking emoji. The other was pure joy.
Y'all. Let's do this!!! Extending it and it's the SOLIDARITY with our families challenge for October. You can do it!!!
Reminders and Updates
- Please cc admin when emailing parents re: behavior, conference requests, and grading.
- PLEEEEEEASE, make POSITIVE CALLS HOME!
- Send me at least one picture a week. Send a gratitude text about a colleague when you can!
- Report Grades Due Wednesday Oct. 16 by 5PM. Please check in with your mentor teacher for skill sets. We will get you a tutorial ASAP.
- Reminder---I will be out starting at 3PM on Monday to 4PM on Thursday for an Accreditation Site Visit at Mount Sacred Heart. If you need anything before then find me manana!! I will be in by 7AM tomorrow. Available via text/call for Emergencies. Mrs. Cortez will be in charge.
October is the month where -----Anxious or Defiant Behaviors Might Pop Up. All Behavior has a function and communication---see below for some great reminders and strategies.
Team Meeting: Math Sense, Positive Calls Awards , PTCand More
Tuesday, Oct. 1st, 3:45-4:45pm
Ms. Mechtel's Old Room
Guest from Mathnasium to give us a little mini PD.
Send any topics or events you need to discuss my way.
Are you or your students feeling insecure? Ways to battle the negative talk!
Missed our Team Meeting? Minutes and Notes here!
School Schedules: Duty, Classroom and Contact Information
This Week's Scheduled Interruptions/Off Campus/Subbing
HEADS UP: Ms. Salazar out October 1 to 3 serving on Accreditation Team at Sacred Heart. Please see me before if you will need anything approved during these days, etc. Mrs. Cortez is in Charge!
Mrs. VanZandt Out: Ms. Julie to Sub until 12PM, Mrs. Norton to sub for Elective at 1:35PM, Admin to sub for 5th Science 2:10PM to 2:55PM, Ms. Boehme to take 7th to library at 3PM.
Mrs. Buckner leaving at 2:30PM, Ms. Lori to support from 2:30 to 3:00PM
Mrs. Torres in Late--PreK, Kinder no music--can take out for recess or extend your class time. If not in by 9:55--Ms. Julie to sub for 1st Music.
Tuesday: Everyone can wear orange. Go crazy. Free Dress.
Ms. VanZandt Out: Ms. Julie to Sub all day
All School at Pet Blessing, Leave Classroom by 2:25PM, Starts at 2:30PM on Soccer Field.
If you're not on here, I don't have it in Paylocity or Email. Please let me know ASAP.
October 4: 1st Grade
Oct 11 Middle School
Oct 18 Kinder/Middle School
Oct 25 PK3-4/Middle School
Nov 1 Middle School * All Saints’ Day
Nov 8 4th grade
Please always confirm readers and begin practicing with them by Tuesday. Please email your assignments to Ms. Cortez and Ms. Salazar by Wednesday.
10.28: Laura Bazany
11.3: Mr. Victor
11.8: Ms. Lori
Gratitude from the past week
- Each of you that stayed late to get trained in CPR to keep our school safe.
- Coach Garcia for his Saturday Spirit for Cross Country.
- Ms. Molly for organizing and teaching our kids solidarity with St. Vincent de Paul.
- Ms. Boehme for bringing parents into the classroom to share their experiences. Thank you for building bridges.
- Ms. Brooks and Ms. Buckner for starting the day with dynamic centers and morning carpet time. You are building lively, joyful and compassionate classroom communities.
- All of the unnoticed yet appreciated ways each of you helps our school remain firmly rooted.
Report Card Quarter 1: Grades AND Skill Sets complete by 7PM on Wednesday, October 16
Progress Report Quarter 2: Grades complete by Sunday, Nov. 17
Report Card Quarter 2: Grades AND Skill Sets due by Thursday, December 19 at 7PM.
Progress Report Quarter 3: Grades complete by Sunday, Feb 9th.
Report Card Quarter 3: Grades and Skill Sets due by March 17 at 7PM.
Progress Report Quarter 4: Grades complete by Sunday, April 19.
8th Grade Report Card: Grades complete by May 22.
Kinder to 7th Grade: Take grades and complete until May 29.