Boone Meadow Friday Flyer
August 6, 2021
Dear Boone Meadow Families -
It's been a wonderful week as we transitioned back to school. Students are getting settled into routines as teachers are studying children with a keen eye to gain insight on strengths and goals. The beginning of the school year is an exciting time for students and staff to kindle friendships, learn new skills, and set ambitious goals. The year looks promising as we continue to keep first things first...the children.
As we roll into our second week of school, please note the following important bits of information:
- Mark you calendars for the evening of Thursday, August 19th. Curriculum Night is an opportunity for parents/guardians to attend a 30 minute session with their child's teacher to learn some of the nuts and bolts of your child's classroom. You will learn about the instructional and logistical components of your child's upcoming year.
- School Picture Day is Friday, August 28th. More information located below.
- NWEA testing will begin soon. Our testing window for NWEA is August 9th-27th. Please watch for information from your child's teacher. Results will be stored and will then be available for access via your child's PowerSchool account when completed later in August or early September.
- Dine to Donate - Our first Dine to Donate is next Wednesday, August 11th at Hot Box Pizza. Smoothie King is next on our list on August 25th.
- Eagle Fest is scheduled for Friday, August 20th at Jennings Field (near the ZCHS Football Stadium). See the flyer below to learn more about this family friendly tradition to support ZCS high school and middle school athletic programs.
Enjoy your weekend,
Tom Hundley, Principal
Picture Day/Pre-Order School Photos
Cripe Photography will be on BME campus to take student photos on Thursday, August 26th.
PRE-ORDER FOR SCHOOL PHOTOS IS NOW OPEN!
To order with a debit or credit card, please follow the link below. All pre-ordering will close after Thursday, August 26, 2021. You do not need to turn in any receipt or form for an online order. Your student will be bringing home a paper form to pay by check or cash. Proof ordering will be available 4-6 weeks after the photo day.
COVID Policy for the 2021-22 school year:
Cripe Photography has instituted a "No Contact" policy for school photos. Our photographers will not be in contact with the students, therefore will not be fixing hair, collars or other clothing. Photographers will try their best to have the student fix what is needed.
If you have any questions or concerns please fill out our Customer Service Contact Form
August 9-27 - NWEA testing window
August 11 - PTO Why Cook Wednesday/Dine to Donate - Hot Box Pizza
August 19- Curriculum Night, 5:30-8:00 PM (more details to come)
- 5:30-6:00 Kindergarten
- 6:00-6:30 1st Grade
- 6:30-7:00 2nd Grade
- 7:00-7:30 3rd Grade
- 7:30-8:00 4th Grade
August 25 - Dine for Dollars - Smoothie King
August 26 - Picture Day
September 2 - 4th grade to Camp Tecumseh (extended day study trip)
September 6 - Labor Day (no school)
September 22 - Jog-a-thon
October 4-8 - Fire Safety Week
October 5 - End of Quarter 1
October 7 - Picture Retake/Make-up Day
October 11-15 - Fall Break
October 26 - Regular school day w/ Family/student conferences (PM)
October 27 - E-Day & Family/Student Conferences
November 7 - Daylight Savings Time ends
November 11 - Veterans Day
November 24-26 - Thanksgiving Break (no school)
December 6-17 - NWEA testing window
December 17 - End of Quarter 2/Semester 1
December 20-31 - Winter Break (no school)
January 17 - MLK Jr. Day (no school)
January 18 - Teacher professional development day (no school for students)
February 14 - Valentine's Day
February 21-25 - Presidents' Day/February Break (no school)
March 15 - End of Quarter 3
April 1-8 - Spring Break (no school)
May 25 - Last day of school
May 26- June 3 - Make up days (if needed)
May 30 - Memorial Day (no school)
Car Rider Map & Info
Arrival and Dismissal Notes:
Within a 10-15 minutes window each morning and each afternoon, we strive to ensure that all 600 students are transported safely to where they need to be. At dismissal each day, all students remain in their classrooms until called for buses, cars, BAC, walkers, etc.. Behind the scenes is a network of staff and communication that works cohesively to get children where they need to go. Thank you to all families that follow our daily routines and procedures. We would not be able to keep children safe without your cooperation.
Below, you will find some updates regarding arrival and dismissal:
- All cars should enter the Boone Meadow campus via Eagle Church entrance/access road. This is true for both arrival and dismissal
- When approaching BME lot, near the end of access road, Kindergarten-4th grade vehicles should form 2 lines lines and wait until signaled by staff to approach the front curb.
- Morning arrival/drop off begins at 7:50; Kindergarten drop off begins at 8:50.
- All drop offs should occur at curb, unless a situation necessitates otherwise. Additional foot traffic at crosswalk delays arrival.
- Students must exit on curb side of vehicle.
- Thank you for keeping our fire lane clear until signaled by staff to pull up. The fire lane must remain clear as much as possible for potential emergency needs and school deliveries.
- Displaying car/family numbers in an easy to see manner is greatly beneficial. Ball point pen writing on a post it placed on your dash is hard for my old eyes to see, so bold numbers hanging from the rear view mirror or attached to the passenger sun visor assists in moving vehicles efficiently through the line.
- Please reduce idling when possible. The build up of vehicle emissions is not only harmful for the environment, but also creates unhealthy air quality for staff and students.
Walker/Bikers: We will continue to assist with crossing Main Street by having staff present whenever possible. Please note the following items:
Significant weather (walkers/bikers) - When weather is inclement with heavy rain, heavy snow, sleet, etc...walking to school is highly discouraged. The office team will make the decision if staff will be present at the crosswalk.
- If families decide to walk to school and no crosswalk staff is present, an adult or family member must safely escort students to the front doors. The doors will open at approximately 7:50 for arrival, and families should wait at the front doors with their students until the doors open.
Walkers and bikers will be dismissed after car riders each day (approximately 2:35). This allows families to use the car line for pick up when needed. Simply display your family number while you are in line and pick up your child(ren) at the front door with staff assistance.
In the event of questionable or severe weather, families must utilize the car rider procedures instead of walking/biking. (stormy weather, lightning, sleet, you need to get Toto before going to the Land of Oz...)
Please do not bypass the car rider line and request to pick up students from the parking lot, other school sidewalks, etc... Again, we must adhere to all procedures for the safety of students and staff
- Families should refer to the teacher assignment email you received last week in order to find your bus transportation information. The email provides bus stop times and location for pick up and drop off.
- Staff readily awaits students at arrival with supervision fully provided from bus to classroom where teachers await their arrival. Kindergarten students are released first off of the buses where staff escorts them into the building for Bridge or Early Start Spanish programming. Following Bridge/Early Start Spanish, they are escorted to their classroom.
Please note: We anticipate a large volume of personal vehicles during arrival and dismissal. Your patience is greatly appreciated as we fine-tune logistics during the first couple of weeks to ensure children are safe and in their proper location.
GROW/Child Care Options
Bridge and Early Start Spanish are optional, fee based programs that “bridge” the time between the 7:50-8:00 arrival time for 1st-4th grade students, and the start of the instructional day for Kindergarten students, which is 8:50-9:00.
Before and After-School Care (BAC) is available for all Union students. Before school care begins at 6:45am and After school extends childcare from 2:30 to 6:00pm.
Eagle Rec offers fee based programs in a variety of interest areas, which typically start after school has already begun.
Bus route and bus stop information was e-mailed to parents/guardians on Friday, July 23rd. Bus information was included in the teacher/class assignment email.
Kindergarten Families: Please note that Kindergarten students do not begin school until 9:00AM. Kindy students can ride the bus to school if they are registered for either Early Start Spanish or the BRIDGE program (8:00-9:00). End of school day dismissal is at 2:30 for all students K-4th grades.
Director of Transportation: Amy Eaton
Direct Office Line: 317-873-1237 x11802
Volunteers and Visitor Background Checks
At this time, due to CoVID 19 restraints, we are "pausing" on volunteers and visitors. When volunteers are needed and approved, appropriate staff members will reach out to you in effort to welcome your support and assistance.
If you plan to volunteer of visit in the future, please note the following information.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building typically offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.
Preschool : Melissa Deater (lead teacher), Liz Kieper (assistant)
Kindergarten: Maggie Bennett, Kathy Coats, MacKenzie Luse, Katie Sarpa, Erika Sorrells, Melissa Tuttila
First Grade:Jennifer Bender, Michelle Drew, Kelly Mattingly, Chrissy Smith, Jill Neal, Jennifer Welch
Second Grade: Becky Graham, Sarah Kiel, Jonann Lamaster, Kim Megli, Becky Proctor, Amanda Rennard
Third Grade: Cindi Hamlow, Kayla Meyer, Lindsay McGuire, Nick Noel, Sarah Schermerhorn
Fourth Grade: Donna Adams, Emma Bleakman, Nick Burch, Alyssa Casselman
Related Arts: Kara Benson (STEM), Will Doublestein (Music), Ehrin Howe (Media)
Garrett Stephens (Wellness), Jen Trinosky (Art)
Unified Student Services (Special Education)
Audrey Csikos (Speech Language Pathologist)
Abby Fox & Lisa Wagner (Resource)
Erica Moore (School Psychologist)
Laura Nolan (OT); Mary Jo Swenson (PT)
School Counselor: Kristi Sloan
Literacy Coach: Kim Gray
ELL: Kris Barksdale
Lead Custodial Care: Ricardo Rodriguez
School Nurse: Amy Deinlein
Cafe Manager: Cheryl Pendleton
Before & After Care: Tahereh Kahedizadeh (Lead) & Marissa Simmons (Assistant BAC Lead)
Bob Anderson/Neil Randolf (Safety Resource Officer)
Barb Bernard (Administrative Assistant/Treasurer)
Tom Hundley (Principal)
Lauren Kersey (Assistant Principal)
Beth Kiel (Administrative Assistant/Registrar)
Team Meadow Instructional Assistants 2020-2021
Katherine Brown, Ann Cooney (new team member), Amanda Gahn, Linda Gillette (new team member), Kerrie Hodges, Fiona Lastovica, Justine O'Brien, Annette Scotto-Diluzio, Abby Stacy, Wendy Van Veldhuizen