We Are Together Tamanend!
April 26, 2019
Tamanend Provides Comfort
Thank you to all the students who helped with the "Comfort Bags 4 Cancer" project, which involved making pillows after school. We were able to make over 50 pillows to put in donated bags, which will be hand delivered to local hospitals!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Upcoming Events at a Glance
AcaTamaJam--Friday, April 26 at 7:00 PM
10th Annual Central Bucks A Cappella Fesitival--Saturday, April 27 at 7:00 PM at Tamanend
7th & 8th Grade PSSA Testing for Math--Tuesday, April 30
8th Grade PSSA Testing for Science--Thursday, May 2
Spring Arts & Music Festival #1--Thursday, May 2 @ 7:30 PM
Teacher Appreciation Luncheon--Monday, May 6
Spring Arts & Music Festival #2--Tuesday, May 7 @ 7:00 PM
8th Grade Iron Pigs Field Trip--Wednesday, May 8
Spring Arts & Orchestra Concert--Wednesday, May 8 @ 7:00 PM
May 2nd Spring Concert Time Change
Reminder--PSSA Testing Dates--April 16, 17, 30 & May 2
The Pennsylvania System of School Assessment (PSSA) exams will be administered on April 16, April 17, April 30, and May 2. This link to the Tamanend website has further information for your reference.
Reminder From Parent Council--Help Make Teacher Appreciation Week Special
Teacher Appreciation Week will be celebrated May 6th-10th. We plan to honor all Tamanend teachers and staff members on Monday, May 6th with the annual Teacher Appreciation Luncheon.
If you would like to contribute a food or dessert item for the luncheon, kindly use the sign up genius form to note your donation. Parent volunteers are needed to assist with set-up, serving, and clean-up of the luncheon.
Parent Council will be surprising staff Tuesday thru Friday (May 7-10) with daily drawings for treats and goodies. We are collecting items for the daily drawings. Please drop off to the main office any item you would like to donate for this fun event (small gift cards, bagged candies, treats, coffees, teas, flowers). We ask that all donations be turned in by Friday, April 26th.
Thank you for helping to make Teacher Appreciation Week fun for the Tamanend staff!
Reminder--Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
Tamanend Band Receives Superior Rating at PMEA Adjudication
On Thursday afternoon, the Tamanend 9th Grade Concert Band attended the local PMEA adjudication at CB East High School. The band was adjudicated on two prepared tunes that will be featured in next week’s Spring Arts Festival Concert and received high marks from all three judges. After performing the two prepared selections, the band was then judged on their sight-reading ability (which is playing a piece of music for the first time without practicing it first). Overall, the band received a first place “Superior” rating from the judges which is not an easy feat in this state level festival, performing next to many school’s select wind ensembles. Mr. Werner is extremely proud of the 9th grade band’s performance and their professionalism for the entirety of the festival. You were commended on your outstanding behavior and mature musicianship! Congratulations on a job very well done!
THIS WEEK'S TEEN TALK
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Talking to Your Teen about Careers
The New York Times offers this advice about guiding your teen think about potential careers.
What We're Talking About at Tamanend:
- Mindfulness and Wellness activities for the 7th Graders (while we finish up PSSA testing)
- Career readiness activities for the 8th Graders
- Teacher Appreciation notes for the 9th Graders
HELPUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Athletic Department News
- Congratulations to the 7th Grade softball team, 7th Grade baseball team, and 8th Grade baseball team for picking up their first wins of the season!
- 7th Graders interested in playing football at Tamanend…you and your parents should plan to attend an informational meeting in Tamanend’s cafeteria on Tuesday, May 14th at 6:00. You will receive information about the football program, as well as details on voluntary workouts at the end of May/beginning of June and again in August. Tamanend’s coaches hope to see you there!
FROM CB SOUTH:
- There will be a concussion meeting, followed by mandatory ImPact testing, for all students trying out for Fall sports at CB South on Monday, May 13th at 3:00 in the Auditorium at CB South. Bus transportation will be provided, and students must be picked up by parents at CB South. Any current 8th or 9th Grade student interested in playing a Fall sport at South must register with Mr. Klein in order to take the bus.
- CB South Golf: Interest meeting to be held on Monday, May 13 in the Forum Room at the conclusion of the mandatory fall sport concussion meeting. This is for any boy or girl who will be in Grades 9-12 next school year and wants to try out for the golf team.
- CB South Girls Basketball open gyms will be held Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00, beginning April 16th. There will be no open gym on May 21st.
- CB South Girls Volleyball open gyms are held Wednesdays in the Aux Gym from 7:00 to 9:00.
- CB South Boys Basketball open gyms will be held Mondays 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30, through June 6th.
- All open gyms are weather dependent. Announcements will be made for cancellations.
This Week's Athletic Schedule
- Varsity Track @ Klinger (Away); buses leave at 2:20
- 7th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Lenape (Home)
- Girls Lacrosse vs. Lenape (Home)
- Boys Lacrosse @ Lenape (Awary; on turf at CB West’s Coach Pettine Sports Complex); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer @ Tohickon (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Softball @ Unami (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Baseball @ Unami (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 7th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Holicong (Home)
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer @ Maple Point (Away); bus leaves at 2:20
- Junior Varsity Track @ Unami (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- Girls Lacrosse vs. Holicong (Home)
- Boys Lacrosse @ Holicong (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- Varsity Track vs. Newtown (at Unami); buses leave at 2:40
- 8th Grade Softball vs. Klinger (Home)
- 8th Grade Baseball vs. Klinger (Home)
- 8th Grade Softball vs. Tohickon (Home)
- 8th Grade Baseball vs. Tohickon (Home)
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--The Diary of Anne Frank Performance
Relay for Life 2019 Update
Reminder: All participants must raise a minimum of $50 of donations by Friday, May 10. Please take advantage of the online donation option, if possible. If you are unable to donate online, individual team members should bring checks payable to the American Cancer Society to Room 230 during Advisory on Friday, May 3 or Tuesday, May 7. Thank you!
Chipoltle Fundraiser for Relay for Life--Tuesday, April 30
AcaTamaJam--Friday, April 26 at 7:00 PM
Reminder--Join Us for the Central Bucks A Capella Festival--April 27 at Tamanend
The 10th Annual Central Bucks A Cappella Festival will be held at Tamanend on Saturday April 27th. Throughout the day, Chieftain Chorus students and members of other select choral ensembles throughout CB will have the opportunity to work with two amazing guest artists. The House Jacks will be back for the 6th time – their powerful brand of a cappella matches their reputation as a ‘rock band without instruments.’ You’ll love their high-energy performance from start to finish. Also visiting this year is the ‘Father of Contemporary A Cappella’ himself – Deke Sharon. As the music producer of all three Pitch Perfect movies, multiple seasons of the Sing Off, the touring acts Vocalosity and DCappella, and more, Deke brings his passion for a cappella to CB as a clinician and guest performer at the evening concert. If you are interested in attending the concert (7pm, 4/27 at Tamanend), please visit the CB A Cappella Festival Website for more information and the ticket link.
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
CB South NASA Club's Star Night Event
Reminder--Support CB South's First Annual Color Run!
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is May 13
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at email@example.com if you are interested in participating.
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
Nominate a Tamanend Student for April's Boomerang Award!
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
All are Welcome to Join the Freshman Dance Committee
The Freshman Dance Committee Meeting will meet on Thursday, May 2nd, 5:00-6:00 in the Tamanend Cafeteria. If you are interested in helping out with this year’s Freshman Dance, regardless of which grade your child is in, please join us on Thursday evening. We will be meeting in the Tamanend Cafeteria from 5:00-6:00 pm to discuss details of the event. This will be the first meeting, so all are welcome. If you would like to help, but are unable to attend, please contact Mr. Dudley, at email@example.com.
Thursday, May 16th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900