Domestic Violence PSA
by Destiny Foster
- 70% of women worldwide will experience domestic violence
- 3 women everyday are murdered everyday by a former or current male partner
- 1 in 7 men who will be victims of domestic violence by their partner
- A women is 70 times more likely to be murdered in the few weeks after leaving her abusive partner than at any other time in the relationship.
- 10,000,000 children are exposed to domestic violence every year
Abuse is a cycle
1. Abuse - Your partner will lash out at you with belittling and violent behavior.
2. Guilt - Your partner will fell guilt but not because they are abusing you its more about being caught
3. Excuses - Your abuser will probably but the blame on you and tell you that what he is doing is for the best and will say he/she will get better soon.
4. Normal behavior - the abuser will regain control and keep the victim in the relationship. He/she may act as if nothing has happened, or he/she may turn on the charm. This peaceful honeymoon phase may give the victim hope.
5. Fantasy - the abuser begins to fantasize about abusing you again. He/she spends a lot of time thinking about what you’ve done wrong and how he'll/she'll make you pay.
6. Set up - Your abuser sets you up and puts his plan in motion, creating a situation where he can justify abusing you. ( Then the cycle starts all over again )
Domestic Violence Story
Start @ 2:55 and End at 7:23. http://youtu.be/V1yW5IsnSjo
I agree with Leslie when she says to break the silence. I also think that everyone should have more education about domestic violence because Leslie thought that she was in love with a troubled man and that it was normal. Everyone should know the signs and how to tell your friends and family about what is happening in the home.