The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - December 13, 2020
A Note from Principal Welch
Happy Sunday! I hope you are all continuing to stay healthy and safe! I sure miss seeing you all! This is the final Sunday we will be together in December and this marks my final newsletter of 2020. I will be sharing my next newsletter in January before we return to school.
This week, we are up for some fun with our school-wide spirit day focus. Below is the focus for each day this week. Let's have fun together, Sailors!
- Monday, December 14 - Mad About Plaid! Wear plaid or flannel to stay warm and cozy all day long
- Tuesday, December 15 - Twinkling Tuesday! Wear your shiniest and sparkliest things
- Wednesday, December 16 - Sweater Day! You choose any sweater you like. This could be a holiday sweater, a favorite sweater, an ugly sweater... any sweater is perfect!
- Thursday, December 17 - Cottage Lake Pride Day! Wear your Cottage Lake spirit wear or anything blue and yellow
- Friday, December 18 - Pajama Day! As we prepare for 2021, let's do so in comfy and cozy pajamas for our final school day of 2020.
I have heard from a few of you who want to deliver something to school for your child's teacher(s). Since we are not "business as usual" and do not have staff on-site daily, I wanted to share I will be at school this coming Thursday, December 17, from 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM. We will also have staff helping with our curbside book pick-up, I will be riding the Books on the Bus book delivery, so Thursday would be the best day to drop anything off at the building. Here are some of the small details:
- You can drop off something for staff and leave it in the box I will place on the bench outside the front office.
- You can hand something to staff at the curbside book pick-up on Thursday.
- You can hand something to me for staff during the Books on the Bus book delivery on Thursday
- You can email something to staff.
I want to share there is NO expectation that a gift is sent to your child's teacher(s). Since we are not on-site daily, I wanted to share when a staff member would be present to make sure anything you drop off is secured.
I want to share a huge THANK YOU to all the adults reading this newsletter. We have been in this remote learning stage for 9 months now and I know we could not do what we are doing without you! You are helping us lift instruction off the page and you have become our co-teachers. For many of you, this has meant you have made job choices, you are balancing multiple hats during the day, or you might even be sharing the load with other families. I want you to know how much I appreciate each of you!! While our launch into 2021 will likely remain remote, we will continue to look at health numbers and the district will make decisions they feel are best for students, staff, and families.
Lastly, during the two weeks we have off from school, I hope you and your child(ren) can unplug from technology for a bit, spend time playing games, making and enjoying delicious food, connecting with family and friends, and remaining healthy! If you celebrate holidays at this time of year, I wish you a very Happy Holidays! As we all look to 2021, I hope we all experience continued good health and happiness. We are going to make the rest of our school year the best possible!!
Take good care of yourself and please stay safe, stay healthy, and share kindness with one another.
See you in 2021!!
Jen Welch, Principal
•• SCHOOL NEWS ••
Next Materials Pick-up - January 7, 2021
Pick-up times will be as follows:
- Last names A-H, pick-up from 1:00-2:00 PM
- Last names I-O, pick-up from 2:00-3:00 PM
- Last names P-Z, pick-up from 3:00-4:00 PM
- Those families who couldn't come at the earlier times, 4:30-5:30 PM
Cottage Lake supports
Thank you for your generosity!
Holiday Assistance 2020 Community Resources
GIFTS: King County
Hopelink Holiday Gift Rooms – for ages birth through 18.
REDMOND LOCATION: 8990 154th Ave. NE, Redmond, 98052. (425) 869-6000
- To limit Coronavirus transmission in our community and support the safety of Hopelink staff, volunteers and clients, we will not accept or distribute toys, clothing, or other physical gift donations this holiday season. Instead, Hopelink is distributing gift cards to families buying gifts for their children.
Who can apply for a gift card?
To request a gift card, all these statements must apply to you.
- You are a current Hopelink client,
- You are the custodial parent or custodial guardian of at least one child 18 years old or younger, AND
- You have current income of less than 400% of the Federal Poverty Line, according the chart located here, self-declared.
- Fees: none
Helping Hands Ministries - Thrift Store
19213 Bothell-Everett Hwy. (425) 481-6682. Open 10-7
- Gently used and new clothing, toys, books, household items, furniture
- $25 Gift Vouchers available through:
- ..... Northshore School District
- ..... Canyon Hills Community Church [22027 17th Ave SE, Bothell 98021, (425) 488-4121]
- ..... North Creek Presbyterian Church [621 164th SE, Mill Creek, 98012 (425) 743-2386]
- ..... Northshore Community Church [10301 NE 145th St. Kirkland, 98034 (425) 821-5252]
Please contact Nurse Audrey for further information.
Salvation Army Christmas Assistance – Toys for Tots
911 164th Ave NE Bellevue, 98008. (425) 452-7300. Select Admin on phone options
- Deadline to order 12/6/19
- Call location ahead to verify zip code and information that is needed
- Two toys per child – one big, one small
- Serving Bellevue, Bothell, Kirkland, Redmond, Woodinville zip codes
- Must be income eligible; have proof of children’s ages; ID or social security for every member of household; proof of residency.
FOOD: King County
Hopelink – Kirkland/Northshore
11011 120th Ave NE, Kirkland, 98033 (425) 889-7880
- The food bank will continue to provide groceries at a clearly marked entry point in pre-packed boxes in order to limit exposure for clients, staff and volunteers.
- In response to the arrival of COVID-19 in our community, the following temporary changes have been put in place
- Each household will be able to pick up enough food for 21 meals per person.
- Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond & Shoreline food banks are open:
Tuesdays | 12 - 4PM
Wednesday | 3 - 7PM
Thursday | 10AM - 2PM
- Sno-Valley food bank is open:
Wednesday | 3 - 7PM
Thursday | 10AM - 2PM
- If you need food assistance go to the link: https://www.hopelink.org/need-help/food:
GIFTS: SNOHOMISH COUNTY
Marine Toys for Tots
Toys for Tots c/o The Foundation Church 2730 Oakes Avenue Everett, WA 98201
- Must be a Snohomish County Resident
- Contact Mary Butler w/ questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website to place your order: https://everett-wa.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/local-toy-request-single-form.aspx
FOOD: SNOHOMISH COUNTY
Saint Vincent De Paul North Sound Council Holiday Food Baskets
6424 Broadway Ave, Everett 98213.
- Holiday food baskets for Christmas.
- Basket contents varies by location.
- Individuals, couples, and families living in Snohomish County
- Call intake line to sign up (425) 355-3504 Ext #1
Our Book Circulation continues!
We are so excited about our book circulation to continue on Thursdays. We appreciate all the feedback we have received and love seeing pictures of your students reading, as well! Below is information regarding the upcoming book circulation.
- 1st, 3rd, & FSA - Your next delivery is on: Thursday, December 10
- If you want books, please fill out this form http://go.nsd.org/sailorbooks by Sunday, December 6 @ 9:00 PM.
- ALL STUDENTS - Your final delivery in December is on: Thursday, December 17
- ALL STUDENTS - If you want books to enjoy during winter break, please fill out this form: http://go.nsd.org/sailorbooks by Sunday, December 13 @ 9:00 PM.
Please click on the button below to locate the book circulation schedule (this is updated regularly) and find the request form in one place.
Please click on this link to find our online library book request forms and the upcoming schedule of delivery and pick-up weeks. This schedule will continue to be updated. Happy Reading!
•• District News ••
Meals During Winter Break
We are offering a Winter Break weekly meal packs that contains meals for two weeks. This weekly meal pack must be ordered on Wednesday, December 16 or Thursday, December 17 and must be picked up on Wednesday, December 23. There will be no daily meal packs during Winter Break.
- Some of the regular pick-up locations may not be available.
- Daily meal orders will resume on Sunday, January 3 for pick up on Monday, January 4.
- Daily meal packs that are picked up on Friday, December 18 will contain 5 days of meals. We encourage families who normally order daily meals to order the weekly pack on December 16 or 17.
- You will find further information by clicking on THIS MEALS LINK.
•• REPEAT of District News ••
Does your Cottage Lake Elementary student need a device for online learning? Please use the link below to sign up and sign the waiver. After you submit your form, Mr. Paganini will be in contact with you to set a pick-up time for you. For students in Kindergarten & Grade 1, we are issuing iPads. For students in Grade 2 through Grade 5, we are issuing Chromebooks. Students will keep these devices at home until we return to school.
Meals during remote learning and hybrid learning
Beginning Wednesday, September 9, we are offering free meals for ALL children ages 18 and younger. Students do not need to be enrolled in the Northshore School District to receive meals. This is GREAT news for each of our families; these are your tax dollars at work. I am so pleased this funding has been continued, allowing us to extend these meal services until the end of December.
Please visit our District website for more information about how and when to place your order, times and locations for meal pick-up, pricing, and how to apply for free and reduced-price meals.
For quick links:
- CLICK HERE to place an order for DAILY MEALS. [The order window time will be 2:00 PM-11:59 PM the day prior to meal pick-up. Orders include breakfast and lunch, including 16oz of milk. Orders placed for a Friday pick-up will also include meals for the weekend.]
- CLICK HERE to place an order for WEEKLY MEAL PACKS. [Weekly Meal Packs will include breakfast and lunch for an entire week, including a gallon of milk. The order window will open at 2:00 PM every Wednesday and close at 2:00 PM every Thursday. Pick up for these meals will be on Wednesday the following week.]
Please consider ordering food! Our district is committed to feeding our children during this challenging time.
•• PTA NEWS ••
Search: Cottage Lake PTA.
[YES, our PTA accounted is listed in Tacoma, but it IS our school's PTA located in Woodinville, WA.]
After selecting our school's PTA, each time you want to shop, begin with visiting www.smile.amazon.com, and then shop. You must first log into the smile.amazon.com for purchases to be eligible for the cash back opportunity.