GRAND AVENUE SPECIALS
WHAT WE'VE BEEN WORKING ON:
Fifth Grade: During December the fifth grade artists created quilled snowflakes for their concert backdrop. As we transition into January artists are starting to work on their artwork for the GSPIE Square One Art fundraiser. They are creating abstract designs based on the artwork of Sonia Delaunay. Using rulers and compasses artists will draw concentric circles and straight lines. The final designs will be colored with marker using a color scheme selected by the student. You will receive more information about this fundraiser from GSPIE In March.
This past month the Fifth graders have prepared and performed a successful December concert. At the same time the third and fourth graders were singing a lot of music of the season, saw and discussed Peter Tchailovsky's ballet," The Nutcracker." We also sang music from Botswana and listened to Johannes Brahms's "Wiegenlied" (Lullaby).
What we worked on in December:
- Students worked on improving their Jump Rope skills. We include this unit because it works on improving our agility, is a good cardiovascular endurance activity, and it builds bone density. Students work individually during this unit through a progression of jumping skills.
- Winter Wonderland Stations were a hit again! Check out the video to see one of the fun stations students were able to enjoy.
- We learned a lot at our training about how to use the heart rate monitors to help students assess their health and effort. Ask your son or daughter about how they use the heart rate monitors to assess their health and effort, they have learned a lot.
- We will begin to focus on developing our cooperation, communication, and teamwork skills.
- 3rd graders will work through a new activity each week to accomplish this. They will use Mission Impossible, Chinese Jump Rope, and Bowling to help us work on developing our team building skills.
- 4th and 5th graders will be work through physical challenges with the team they are given for three weeks.
- Also we will begin to discuss our upcoming Ski Trip with the 4th and 5th graders!