HYDRO POWER: THE POWER OF WATER
By: Shelton Lewis
What is Hydro Power????
Hydroelectric Power -- what is it?
It=s a form of energy … a renewable resource. Hydropower provides about 96 percent of the renewable energy in the United States. Other renewable resources include geothermal, wave power, tidal power, wind power, and solar power. Hydroelectric powerplants do not use up resources to create electricity nor do they pollute the air, land, or water, as other powerplants may. Hydroelectric power has played an important part in the development of this Nation's electric power industry. Both small and large hydroelectric power developments were instrumental in the early expansion of the electric power industry.
Hydroelectric power comes from flowing water … winter and spring runoff from mountain streams and clear lakes. Water, when it is falling by the force of gravity, can be used to turn turbines and generators that produce electricity. hydro electric power can be found anywher there is water.
How does Hydro power produce energy....?
PICTURES OF HYDRO POWER DAM AND A TURBINE!!!
Hydro Power and the Environment
Advantages and uses of Hydro Power
Advantages to hydroelectric power:
- Fuel is not burned so there is minimal pollution
- Water to run the power plant is provided free by nature
- Hydropower plays a major role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- Relatively low operations and maintenance costs
- The technology is reliable and proven over time
- It's renewable - rainfall renews the water in the reservoir, so the fuel is almost always there