January 21, 2019
Geography Bee Finalists
Congratulations to all SMS students that participated in the preliminary round of the National Geographic Geography Bee. Hundreds of students battled it out on paper and these eleven students posted the highest scores: Caden Richardson (7), Leslie North, Zachary Taylor, Sydney Craig, Isaiah Foster, Mason Hall, Ben Craig, Sarthak Patel, Jace Schexnayder, Alex Spaulding, and Peyton Preston. These folks will compete in the finals on Friday! Good luck and thanks to the SS department teachers for offering this academic challenge!
Give What You CAN
Our local food bank, the Scott County Clearinghouse, is low on donations and family need is growing! Therefore, from January 28th through February 1st, SMS and SCSD2 will hold a canned food drive to benefit the Clearinghouse. Bring canned or non-perishable boxed foods to your homeroom any or every morning next week. All schools in our district will be participating.
At SMS, the homeroom with the most cans donated will win a pizza party courtesy of our Student Council. Everyone can start bringing in their canned goods on Monday, January 28th! The council will be collecting all of the canned goods on Friday, February 1st.
Please donate to help those in our community who need it most! Give what you CAN.
Climate Survey Executive Summary #2
- Respondents reported high degrees of respect for the administration and teachers but much lower levels of respect for supervision aides and subs. WHY IS THIS? Respect should not be connected to title or role. Warriors should respect EVERY adult in our building!
- Respondents report that staff members get along well at SMS. We are glad that you see staff collaborating and enjoying our work.
- Only 62% of respondent students report that they get along great or good with each other. Another 29% reported that students got along 'fair' and 10% felt that students did not get along well. WHAT CAN WE DO TO IMPROVE THIS FOR STUDENTS?
- Students report hearing profanity and gossip at a high rate. They also report ignoring as their primary response. They report seeing vandalism and cheating at a very low rate. HOW DOES PROFANITY AND GOSSIP IMPACT SMS?
- Students feel connected to parents, teachers, and peers at a relatively high rate. CONNECTION is important at SMS!
We'll be discussing these data points in HR starting in February. Start thinking now about how we can improve these climate deficits!
ILEARN Readiness Test- Monday
Early Dismissal January 30th
Recyclers Need You!
The recyclers would like to know you support them and their cause. Please sign the recycling banner in the lunch room tomorrow or Friday. We'll then hang the banner and we'll learn more about recycling from our team!
FACS Club Fundraiser: Let's Get Pampered!
Do you need any new cookware or tools for the kitchen? If you answered yes, the FACS Club fundraiser might be for you! From now until February 15th, your family can order through Pampered Chef. If you decided to order, a portion of the total sales will be donated to the FACS Club to help offset the cost of food for club activities. To support our club, go to https://www.pamperedchef.com/party/ScottsburgMiddleFACS and place your order. All orders are shipped directly to your home! If you have any questions feel free to ask Mr. Shoultz. Thanks for your support!
Even though we have snow on the ground, spring sports are just around the corner! SMS offers Baseball, Coed Golf, Softball, Boys/Girls Track, and Girls Tennis in the spring. All students will need a sports physical on file and will need to be academically eligible in order to tryout for a team. Specific start dates and signup information will be announced soon.
Baseball - may have cuts, open to 7th and 8th grade - no weekend games
Golf - may have cuts (not usually) coed, open to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade
Softball - may have cuts, open to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade - no weekend games
Tennis - may have cuts, open to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade girls
Track - no cuts, open to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade
If you have any questions please feel free to contact Mr. Smith or Mrs. Manns in the office.
Mon. Jan. 21: SNOW DAY (Make-up day is February 18th)
Tue. Jan. 22: SNOW DAY (Make-up day is Monday, March 18th)
Wed. Jan. 23: A day, Cross, 6/7/8 BB v. Charlestown
Thu. Jan. 24: B day, Student Council, Archery, Science Olympiad, Winterguard, 7 BB @ MSC Championship, 6 BB v. Southwestern, 7/8 GB @ Highland Hills
Fri. Jan. 25: A day, Yearbook Group Picture Day, Geo Bee Finals 2 PM,
Sat. Jan. 26: Bot Warrior VEX Competition, 7/8 BB v. Scottsburg Invitational, Wrestling v. Lil Warrior Rumble (at SHS McClain Hall)