- Electronic balance
- Metre ruler
- Several 1 kg masses to add to the trolleys
- Two rubber bands tied together that will stretch to 20cm quite easily
- Level bench top
- Piece of A4 paper
- Masking tape
- The piece of a4 paper was attached to the benchtop with masking tape. Two parallel lines were ruled, 20cm apart
- The two trolleys were linked with the rubber bands
- The trolleys were pulled apart and help with the front ends on the two lines
- The two trolleys were released.
- The trolleys accelerated towards each other and collided at the same time. The distance the trolleys travelled was proportionate to their relative velocities.
- The location at which the trolleys collided was determined, and was marked on the paper.
- The distance between the two lines and the collision point were measured
various masses were added to the trolleys and the experiment was repeated. Approximately 5 different mass combination were tested.
The momentum is zero.