Cato MCHS Campus Connector
November, 2022 Volume 4, Issue 3
From the Desk of Ms. Johnson
I'm proud of the work our seniors are doing as their big day is drawing near! Cap & gown orders must be submitted by November 15th. Join me in congratulating the following students on their college acceptances and scholarship offers.
- Nyla Frambach, accepted to Wingate University ($112,000 scholarship offer)
- Tori Jarrett, accepted to Wingate University ($122,000 scholarship offer)
- Constance Agabor, accepted to Winston Salem State University and NC Central University
- Raj Dalsaniya, accepted to Eastern University
- Janiah Pulliam, accepted to Appalachian State University ($15,000 scholarship offer)
- Mitchell Cooper, recipient of a $5000 scholarship from Wells Fargo
- Naomi Blalock, accepted to Wingate University ($116,000 scholarship offer)
- Lyanette Cerda-Mira, accepted to Western Carolina University
- Constance Agabor, accepted to UNC-Greensboro
- Shamsa Yusuf, accepted to Wingate University ($112,000 scholarship offer)
Parents: Are you Missing our Text Messages?
Parents of Juniors,
- Please sign up through Remind. Text @catojrpar to 81010.
Parents of Seniors and Grade 13
- Please sign up through Remind. Text @catosrpar to 81010.
Seniors! It's time to place your 2023 Graduation Order!
- Cato 2 Building, Rm 270
- Signup here to schedule an appointment: https://www.cpcc.edu/academics/resources/tutoring
CPCC Digital Literacy Learning Space
- Get on-demand, rapid, personalized assistance in the following categories: Library Research, Technology & Brightspace.
- Make an online appointment: https://cpcc.libcal.com/appointments/online#s-lc-public-pt
- NOTE: This link will be added to Cato MCHS Linktree
Cato PTSA Information
- Go to www.FruitSale.com
- Select Order Now
- Enter Organization ID: 1029493
Interested in joining our PTSA? See the instructions below for joining.
Our November PTSA meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 17th at 6:30 p.m.
Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 665 983 4013
From The Desk of Mr. Smith
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Grade 13 and Graduating 12th grade students,
When requesting letters of recommendation in Naviance, it must be a Cato staff member. If requesting recommendations outside of Cato make that request in the Other Recommender section of Common App. You may also request your recommender to send a letter via US Mail. Provide them with the college's office of admissions address.
Please contact your teachers or anyone that you are requesting a letter of recommendation from asking for the recommendation letter prior to them getting the automated request via Naviance or Common App.
On Common App you will be reporting your weighted rank and GPA. 4.0 scale.
The University Honors Program at North Carolina A&T State University is elated to accept applications for the awarding of three university prestigious scholarship programs for incoming first-year freshmen who plan to enroll in Fall 2023.
We are seeking applicants who are extremely driven and offer unique and personalized experiences aimed to empower their professional growth, fuel their passion for lifelong learning and inspire their commitment to a stronger community. School endorsement or self-nomination required.
Priority deadline for consideration is 11:59PM EST on November 15, 2022
Additional information and important dates are available in the attached flyer. Prospective student and guest are also encouraged to attend an information session to learn more about Honors and our scholarship programs. We are offering limited in-person visits as
well as virtual information sessions throughout the semester.
These scholarships you can self endorse and apply.
- Heisman High School Scholarship
- North Carolina State University Goodnight Scholars
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill Thomas Wolfe Scholarship
- University of North Carolina Greensboro Guarantee Scholarship
- East Carolina University EC Scholars
- Clemson University Lyceum Scholars
- NHS Scholarship- Due by 11/30
- Going Merry November Scholarships- Various Due Dates for November
College & Scholarship Acceptance Letters
Congratulations to all for the college acceptances and scholarships that you have been awarded thus far. Please email or bring me a copy of all college acceptance letters and merit scholarship letters awarded (even if you are not attending the school). Go Cato!!!
The Financial Aid/Niner Central Office is offering one-hour virtual appointments for students and families to receive assistance with completing the FAFSA. Appointment time slots can be found here. They can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 704-687-8622 with any questions that they have.
Please be reminded to update your resume in Naviance. In an effort to paint the best picture of you as possible you need to include as much volunteer service, extracurricular activites, and academic awards that you've accomplished. This is the resume that faculty and staff at Cato will use to write your letters. Let's Go Cato!
Naviance and Common App email addresses must be the same to match the accounts. See me if you have questions.
As you know our 2 primary platforms to use with our college application process is with Naviance and Common App. Another resource you may use with career planning, scholarships, financial aid and other college admissions topics is via CFNC (College Foundation of North Carolina.) You can create an account or you can simply use the site as a resource.
From The Desk of Ms. Wilkins
Solve for Tomorrow
Each year Samsung asks public school students across the nation to dream, develop, and build solutions to problems facing their communities.
- Submit application by November 2
- Go to https://www.samsung.com/us/solvefortomorrow/ to learn more and apply
Bank of America Internship
As a Student Leader, you'll:
- Work as a paid intern at a local nonprofit for eight weeks
- Attend the weeklong Student Leaders Summit in Washington, D.C.
- Develop leadership and career skills
- Connect with like‑minded students from your own community and across the country
Applications for the 2023 program are now being accepted through January 13th, 2023. Students who have submitted nominations will be notified of their application status in April 2023.
- Go to www.bankofamerica.com/studentleaders to learn more and to apply
- Employment with the Y begins at the age of 16. If you have interest in working in afterschool or aquatics those positions begin at a pay rate of $11.25 and includes a free Y membership. Please browse our website for the opportunities you’re looking to apply for. Website: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/work-ymca-charlotte/career-opportunities
- If you are looking for opportunities to Level Up (Teens Night Out) program please follow this link: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/programs/teens/level-up
- If you are looking for opportunities to Volunteer please follow this link: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/become-a-volunteer
Carolina Youth Coalition(CYC) - Applications are open until November 15th!
A FREE program for highly motivated students with a desire to attend college. More importantly, CYC is an uplifting community of peers and mentors that work hard and work together to achieve their biggest goals! CYC "Fellows" have access to:
- Personalized college application and financial aid guidance
- Connection to exclusive scholarship opportunities
- High-quality ACT prep, writing coaching, and academic tutoring
- College tours, career exploration, and professional networking
- Jordan Brand Wings Program and gear
- 1:1 mentoring
- Support throughout college including career coaching, emergency financial assistance, and connection to internships and job opportunities
Atrium Health's PATCH Scholars Program
If you're interested in healthcare and a recipient of free or reduced price lunch, then you ae qualified to apply. Click here: https://redcap.link/PATCH2023
CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart
Refer to the CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart if you:
- Have been in close contact with someone who tested positive
- Have tested positive
- Have symptoms
NOTE: Should you meet any of the requirements above, please complete the Confidential Covid Screener google form located on the CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart.
21-22 SCHOOL ANNUAL NOTICE LETTER TO PARENTS
Month of November
- Vanessa Tang
- Vincent Vongphakdy
- Margaret Zadorozhniy
- Lourdes Alexander
- Astrid Reyes Ordonez
- Takirah Haye
- Hayaam Hassan
- Julizan Vazquez Sandoval
- Angela Zadorozhniy
- Mohamed Yalahow
- Alexia Liggett
- Jasmine Pelia
- Sarem Desalegn
- Martin Orozco