THE FAMILY ZONE
Equipping the Domestic Church/ISSUE 80/ 3.06.22
Moving into the Heart of Lent
"As Lent is the time for greater love, listen to Jesus’ thirst…He knows your weakness. He wants only your love, wants only the chance to love you.”
– Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
LIVE THE EUCHARIST
Want to grow this Lent instead of just giving up things? A wonderful idea is to read the Sunday scriptures prior to Mass each week. This experience helps you to reflect on the readings and deepen your connection to Mass. In our publication, we provide the readings for the two Sundays ahead, just so you can take the opportunity to prepare for the Mass by reading the scriptures and reflecting on them throughout your week! Try this as a Lenten practice and gain a new habit that deepens your appreciation for the Eucharist, helps you to see how the readings impact your daily life, and strengthens your connection with Christ!
Photo by Sylvain Brison on Unsplash
Click on the link below for the readings that you will hear at the Sunday's Mass for the coming two weeks. This will give you a chance to prepare your heart and mind for full and active participation in Mass this weekend! For a Mass schedule in our diocese click on the purple button below.
Family Stories: Story Time with a Positive Message.
- The Blackbird's Nest: St. Kevin of Ireland by Jenny Shroedel: St. Kevin holds a blackbird's nest during the 40 days of Lent and then returns to his monastic community for Easter!
- The Tale of the Three Trees: A Traditional Folktale: Retold by Angela Elwell Hunt
- Into the Sea, Out of the Tomb: Jonah and Jesus: Maura Roan McKeegan
Parenting Articles: Making the Most of Lent: https://www.catholicbrain.com/content/60134/1/how-your-family-can-get-the-most-out-of-lent
- LENTEN ACTION CARDS: https://catechistsjourney.loyolapress.com/2017/01/lenten-actions-cards/
- Make a WORK OF MERCY TREE: https://s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/lpress-craft/files/ocf-files/lent-intergen-files/crafting-faith-44-45.pdf
- Join the LENTEN ADVENTURE: https://holyheroes.com/pages/lenten-adventure
Imagine podcast: Lent edition
[VIDEO] Why Lent? Bishop Barron Explains - Word on Fire
- Felt Finger Puppets: https://catholicsprouts.com/lenten-finger-puppets/
- Lenten cross: https://catholicsprouts.com/childs-painted-crucifix/
Stations of the Cross for Marriages and Families
An interactive Stations of the Cross for Young Families.
Word of the Week!
- Why does God want me to give something I like up? Is Lent about being punished? (Hint - no it is not!)
- How does giving money to others help me to get closer to God?
- When I pray, does God know I am there? How does God hear everyone praying at once?
- What did Jesus eat when he was in the desert? Was he scared? Was it dangerous?
- Are Sundays days of Lent? (Here's a link to answer that commonly debated question!) https://www.catholicherald.com/faith/in_lent,_do_sundays_count_/
Office of Evangelization and Catechesis
Roman Catholic Diocese of RochesterDebtor in Possession