MUSTANG PARENT ALERT
T. L. MARSALIS ELEMENTARY STEAM ACADEMY
March 2023 Monthly Parent Newsletter
A NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Hello Mustang Families!
Welcome Back! We hope you've had a terrific Spring Break and are ready for our final instructional quarter of the school year, with all the excitement it brings. Our official STAAR (3-5) and MAP (K-2) countdowns have begun and all important dates are listed in this newsletter. Parents, it is very important that all students are here every day so that our teachers can provide critical and important instruction during the next several weeks. In addition, if your child has been identified to receive additional instruction in our afterschool scholars academy, please make sure that they are in attendance on Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
We thank you in advance for your support and are looking forward to another great month at Marsalis! Please let us know if you have any questions.
March 8 - District MOCK STAAR Reading (Grades 3-5)
March 29 - District MOCK STAAR Math (Grades 3-5)
March 30 - District MOCK STAAR Science (Grade 5)
Upcoming in April - Quarter 4 Instructional Reviews for PK-2nd Grade
March 3 - 2023 Marsalis Annual Oratorical Competition - March 3, 2023
March 6 - Dallas Environmental Education Center Field Trip for Kindergarten
March 23 - REPORT CARDS ISSUED
March 24 - Dallas Children's Theatre Field Trip for Fourth Grade
CLUB COMPETITION DATES:
March 4 - Spring Elementary UIL Academic Meet
April 1 - Elementary ESports Tournament
SCHOOL HOLIDAY/NO SCHOOL:
March 13 - 17 - SPRING BREAK / ALL SCHOOLS CLOSED
Congratulations to our 2023 Oratorical Participants and Winners!
Meet our counselor, Ms. Telisa Ingram. Visit her counseling website at
Marsalis still needs 85 parents to complete the survey today! We want the district to hear from our parents.
TO SHARE YOUR OPINION:
1. Click on this link:
PARA COMPARTIR SU OPINIÓN:
1. Pulse en este enlace:
PK -3 REGISTRATION FOR 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR BEGINS APRIL 1ST
MARSALIS ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL REMINDERS
- Our school opens at 7:30 a.m. Only bus riders and PK3 students need to enter at the Scottsboro (bus lane) door. All other students must enter at the front entrance.
- School begins at 8:00 a.m. and a student is tardy at 8:15 a.m. Recording of tardies will begin this week and can affect your child's overall attendance.
- Students begin picking up breakfast from the cafeteria with their teachers at 7:45 a.m. and eat in their classrooms. Breakfast concludes at 8:15 a.m. All students who arrive after this time will miss the breakfast period.
- Dismissal begins at 3:15 p.m. If you would like to pick your child up early, they will need to be picked up prior to 2:45 p.m. Please understand that your child will be missing valuable instruction and parent conferences will be held for students who have frequent early releases.
- If your child is a bus rider or is being picked up by a daycare facility, please be sure to notify your child's teacher.
PARENT PICKUP PROCEDURES
- All persons picking up students will need to have photo ID ready to show. Our scholars will only be released to the persons listed on their enrollment history. If you need to update this information, please contact Mrs. Garcia, CRC, at 972-749-3512.
STAY CONNECTED TO YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER(S)
- Our Marsalis grade level Google sites are officially live now. Check out our school website (www.dallasisd.org/marsalis) for access. These sites will provide you with specific information and resources for your child's specific grade level. Click on our "Academics" tab and select "Grade Level Classes" to locate the teachers' pages.
BUS SAFETY REMINDERS
Please share with your child(ren) the importance of bus safety. Students are to wear seatbelts, if applicable, obey the bus drivers' directives, keep their hands and belongings to themselves and most importantly, stay seated while on the bus. Parents, also remember to be at the appropriate bus pickup locations on time. Our bus drivers routes do not service Marsalis only and must stay on schedule.
Students are expected to be in the correct school uniform each day. Parents will be called to bring the appropriate clothing if students are out of dress code. Please be reminded that the only color for uniform bottoms is khaki.