Jana Anderson, Principal
From the desk of Mrs. Anderson
It is hard to believe that August is coming to a close within the next few days! We continue to be proud of our students for following our new safety procedures and guidelines this year. Also, our students and staff are diving into academics. Teachers have been identifying priority standards, content vocabulary within the curriculum, and working collaboratively to plan engaging lessons for all students. Below, you will see a picture of our 6th grade teachers with our lead teacher working together in their Professional Learning Community!
We appreciate your continued assistance with ensuring that your child’s iPad is charging each evening so it will be ready to go the next morning. Students have been taking assessments on their iPads and will continue next week. It is very helpful to have the iPads charged - thank you!
To help us continue our planning for a great 2020-21 school year, we ask that each family please take the time time to complete this short survey.
Our Gold Academy staff continues to prioritize Student Learning, Safety, and Customer Service!
6th grade team
Learning and social distancing in the Media center!
4th graders practicing social distancing with zombie arms!
3rd graders in Miss Burr's class working on using details to support their ideas in their writing.
PTO Trash Bag Fundraiser - August 31st - September 14th
Covid Screening for Parents
Social Emotional Learning
The month of September, our schoolwide theme is skills for learning: listening, focusing attention, using self-talk to stay on-task, and being assertive when asking for help with a learning task. In our morning announcements and school assembly, we’ll be reminding students of these skills, which help students be successful learners.
Second Step lessons teach skills for learning. You’ll be receiving Home Links describing why these skills are important and including fun activities to do with your child to practice them. We hope you enjoy them!
Please tell your child’s teacher if you’d like more suggestions about supporting skills for learning at home.
- Benchmark Reading Assessments for all students have started this week. Our teachers and IA's have been meeting with students individually to determine their current reading levels.
- iReady Reading and Math Assessments for all 1st and 2nd-grade students will begin the week of August 24th. This will be a diagnostic assessment on their iPad, that will allow teachers to build individualized academic plans for each student.
- ClearSight Reading, Writing and Math Assessments for all 3rd - 6th-grade students will begin the week of August 24th. This will be an online predictive assessment aligned with the State standards and the iLearn assessment. Teachers will utilize the student data to create plans for individual student needs.
6th grade athletics at DMS
6th graders are ENCOURAGED to participate in limited athletics at the middle school level. They are still required to have a physical and all electronic forms on file. All of these forms can be found at dchawks.com under the MORE tab.
6th graders may participate in GOLF, CROSS COUNTRY, TENNIS AND BOYS AND GIRLS SOCCER.
For more information, contact Missy Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources available for families in need
1. Gleaners Community Cupboard at 3737 Waldemere Avenue
- Tuesday/Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday from 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.
2.Gleaners SNAP Application Assistance
- (317) 644-1280
3. Community Compass App (download from the App store or Google Play)
- Information on food pantries, meal assistance, and more
4. Home delivery of family meal boxes and fresh produce from Gleaners or prepared
meals from Second Helpings
- Text Gleaners to 55433 (English Only)
- Call (317) 742-9111 (English and Spanish)
5. CARE Mobile Pantries (through the end of August) - Drive thru food distribution with walk-up capacity.
- John Marshall High School, 10101 E. 38th St. Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Save-A-Lot/Marion County Election Board, 3737 E. Washington Mondays from 2:00- 6:00
- Ivy Tech Community College, 2535 N. Capitol Ave. Fridays from 2:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Attendance is Important!
Revised School Calendar
Don't forget to save your box tops and send them in with your child! Our school earns money for each box top turned into the school! Click the box above for details!
Parents did you know that by registering your Kroger Card you can help the Gold Academy? With each purchase you make, you will be contributing toward a rebate for the Gold Academy to purchase supplies for the school. Click the box above for details!
Calendar of Events
Monday, September 7th - Labor Day - NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, September 8th - 6:00 p.m., PTO Meeting in the Community Room, enter through Door 14
Wednesday, September 9th - Midterm grades distributed