WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
November 15, 2020
Full Outdoor Band Recording Session
Tuesday, Nov. 17th, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
Lot's of exciting information in this week's newsletter. Please read thoroughly!
Back over the weeks of September 21 and 28, 22 of our Winter Park Band students auditioned for this year's Florida All-State Ensembles. Those who auditioned were Hannah Arnold, Aydan Bailey, Mya Bell, Olivia Benesch, Curtis Culhane, Carter Hetz, Colin Hetz, Ben Johnson, Keirren Lawson, Kaia Leavitt, Kang Muscatello, Anna Nguyen, Harrison Paster, Bradley Ribaric, Taylor Ribaric, Bronson Sadowski, Charlie Schmitt, Emma Spencer, Charlie Storch, Lilah Storch, Emily Strickland, and Shay Stulman. Congratulations to all for preparing and completing the audition process, a wonderful effort by all! Mr. Smith and I are very proud of your work going above and beyond.
CONGRATULATIONS to Curtis Culhane (9/10 Concert Band Bb Clarinet) and Lilah Storch (9/10 Concert Band Oboe) for being selected to perform with this year's All-State Ensembles!
This week we will have our Full Outdoor Band Recording Session on the afternoon of Tuesday, 11/17 from 3 - 5 PM. Since we've been able to focus so much this year on our traditional marching band music, as well as lots of "stands tunes," Mr Smith and I want to create something to show for all of the students' hard work. The recordings from this session will be made available to our Band families at no cost.
In lieu of a formal Winter Concert this semester, we will be making video recordings of each of our 6 ensembles playing repertoire that we would traditionally perform this time of year. Those Winter Video Recording Sessions will take place over Wednesday, December 9 and Thursday, December 10. Please see below in this newsletter for more detailed information.
Friday 11/20 Playoff Game Sign Up Sheet: Due to the football team's victorious effort this past Friday, we will need to field another Volunteer Pep Band for this Friday's playoff football game. Please click on the following link to sign up for a spot in the Pep Band. Students must sign up no later than Tuesday, 11/17. Any spots left to fill will be assigned on Wednesday morning, 11/18.
Friday 11/20 Playoff Game tickets: As with last week's playoff game, parents and family members will need to purchase tickets to this week's game. I do not have the link for tickets yet, so once I do the it will be sent out in a separate email early this week. Tickets are $8.00/person.
In order for the Band students to perform in full uniform for the Winter Park Christmas Parade on December 5, all Band students must have a pair of marching band shoes. These are shoes specifically designed for marching band, and traditionally the students would have ordered their shoes back in July and have had them for some time now. On Tuesday, 11/17, a representative form the company we use to buy marching band shoes will be on campus both during the day as well as after school before our Outdoor Band Recording Session to fit any student who needs to purchase a new pair of shoes. This will mostly be all our 9th grade students, as they would not have purchased shoes yet in their time in high school. However, all 10th - 12th grade students should try on their shoes tonight to check to see if they still fit. If you need a new pair of shoes, then you will be fitted on Tuesday as well. Marching Band shoes cost $30.00/pair, and payments can be made either on SchoolPay.com or by check made out to WPHS Bands. Payments for marching band shoes are due by Friday, November 20.
It's time to show your Winter Park Band spirit with our Band Spirit Wear! Please see below in the newsletter for more details, pricing, and photos of the items and color options available for purchase. This year we've added even more options and logos to choose from. Spirit Wear makes a perfect holiday gift! All orders must be made through SchoolPay.com no later than TOMORROW - Monday, 11/16.
Keep reading below for lots more information. Let's have a great week before break!
From the Band Booster President
November 15, 2020
Hello wonderful band families. Thank you so much to the volunteers who helped Friday night at the game. The band sounded wonderful, as usual. We will have another home playoff game this Friday, so we will need chaperones if you are able to help. Please check the Charms calendar for volunteer opportunities for the Winter Park parade on Saturday morning, December 5.
The band likely will wear uniforms for the Christmas parade, so we would appreciate any help fitting uniforms. Stay tuned for details on how you can help.
If you are interested in helping spruce up the trailer to get it ready for the parade and learning more about what the OPS team does during a “regular” marching band season, please email Keith Gavin, the fearless leader of our wonderful and supportive OPS crew at firstname.lastname@example.org and give him your cell number. He can send you additional information about helping out as much or as little as you can with all things Band/OPS related.
The OPS team will be meeting around 10am the Saturday after Thanksgiving, November 28, in the parking lot by the trailer to wash/ready the trailer for the parade the next weekend. They will also need help decorating the trailer for the parade starting at 7am the day of the parade. If you have never helped with OPS before, all are welcome. It’s a great way to meet band families and support the band—and have fun!
Have a great week everyone, and thank you for all you do.
WINTER VIDEO RECORDING SESSIONS
LaunchED students are welcome and encouraged to join us for these recording sessions. The more full our ensembles are for the recording, the more complete our recordings will turn out. Students will be masked at all times when not actively playing their instrument, and seated at the recommended safe distance on stage. If a LaunchED student, and their family, is still not comfortable performing on campus, they will need to complete an alternate assignment. These recording sessions (or the alternate assignment) will count as a grade in the "Performance" category of the grade book (50% of the student's overall grade for the marking period).
UNIFORM: The student uniform for these recording sessions will be as follows:
- Ladies - nice top and slacks or skirt, OR knee-length dress; closed toe dress shoes. Festive patterns and colors are encouraged, but not required. All articles of clothing must be school appropriate, and align with the dress code in the OCPS Student Code of Conduct.
- Gentlemen - shirt and tie, dress pants, closed toe dress shoes. Full suit recommended, if you have one. Festive patterns and colors of the shirt and tie are encouraged, but not required. All articles of clothing must be school appropriate, and align with the dress code in the OCPS Student Code of Conduct.
Wednesday, December 9: Concert Band Video Recording Session, 2 - 3:30 PM
- Wednesday, December 9: Freshman Jazz Band Video Recording Session, 4 - 5:30 PM
- Wednesday, December 9: Jazz Ensemble I Video Recording Session, 7 - 8:30 PM
- Thursday, December 10: Jazz Ensemble II Video Recording Session, 3 - 4:30 PM
- Thursday, December 10: Symphonic Band Video Recording Session, 5 - 6:30 PM
- Thursday, December 10: Wind Symphony Video Recording Session, 7 - 8:30 PM
BAND SPIRIT WEAR: ORDER BY TOMORROW, 11/16
Let’s all show our Winter Park Band spirit with spirit wear! Spirit wear is now available for purchase for any current Band student, parent, family member, or alumni. Makes a perfect holiday gift!
Orders for spirit wear must be placed on SchoolPay.com by Monday, November 16, 2020. Items will be available for pickup at school beginning after Thanksgiving Break.
Prices per item:
- BAND LOGO Short Sleeve T-shirt - $10.00
- BAND LOGO Long Sleeve T-shirt - $12.00
- BAND LOGO Hooded Sweatshirt - $20.00
- BAND LOGO Short Sleeve Performance Tee - $15.00
- BAND LOGO Long Sleeve Performance Tee - $20.00
- COLOR GUARD LOGO Short Sleeve Tee - $10.00
- JAZZ LOGO Short Sleeve Tee - $10.00
- BAND LOGO Face Mask - $5.00
- BAND 2020-2021 LOGO Short Sleeve Shirt - $10.00
*** See color options available for all items above in images below. ***
All orders must be placed through SchoolPay.com. Orders due Monday, 11/16/2020.
Butter Braid Fundraiser - ORDERS DUE THIS THURSDAY, 11/19
I hope you are doing well with the Butter Braid fundraiser. Here are a few reminders for this week:
Orders can be collected in 2 different ways.
First way - use the paper order form that your student will bring home on Monday. If you are a LaunchEd student, you can download the form from this link: http://www.winterparkhsband.com/band-boosters.html. Orders need to be paid for at the time of ordering. Checks can be made out to WPHS Band.
Second way - there is an online store that you can send the link to those that don’t live far away. You will still need to deliver the product to them. There is NO direct shipping available. They will pay for their item through the online store. Click on the link below to set up your online store: https://store.myfundraisingplace.com/RegisterSeller/f2039675-971e-4620-b22d-1270b59bc907
*****Orders are due November 19th with payment!*****
All Butter Braid orders MUST be paid for in advance.
If you are using the paper form, you can use:
- Check/cash turned in with your order.
Orders submitted in the online store will already be paid for.
There is a tight turn around to get our order placed with the company and we cannot process an order without payment. If you use SchoolPay, please send in a copy of your receipt with your order form.
Remember, students benefit $5.50 in fundraising credit from each pastry sold!
Questions? Feel free to email me at Ribaric.email@example.com
Unlike a full band rehearsal experience, studying with a private teacher focuses in on the student’s individual needs. Students who study privately once a week from a professional musician are usually those who excel and find Band more enjoyable. These students frequently earn positions in honor groups like All-State and All-County, and make entry into our more advanced bands like Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble I. Some even go on to earn college scholarships, even if they are not majoring in music!
By following the link below, you will find a list of local private teachers. This list is not exhaustive, and there may be other individuals who are not on the list. If you know a private teacher who should be added (or would like to be deleted), please contact Mr. Clemente at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW PARENT LIAISON
If you are having a technology issue and have not yet reached out to the school about resolution, please email Mr. Steffey at Donald.Steffey@ocps.net to set up an appointment at school for your computer to be looked at. Email should be sent as soon as you read this!
As a reminder, students are considered present in their LaunchED class if they:
- Joined the call before the tardy bell.
- Have their camera on the entire class period.
- Are able to be seen, face and instrument, in the camera view.
- Participate in class from bell to bell.
Students who do not have their camera on for the duration of class, and we have not received an email from the school stating awareness of the issue and work towards it being resolved, will be marked absent.
Thank you for your work to resolve these technology issues!
Monday, November 23 - Friday, November 27: Thanksgiving Break
Tuesday. December 1: Parade Rehearsal, 3 - 5 PM
Thursday, December 3: Parade Rehearsal, 3 - 5 PM
Saturday, December 5: Winter Park Christmas Parade, 7 - 11 AM
Wednesday, December 9: Concert Band Video Recording Session, 2 - 3:30 PM
Wednesday, December 9: Freshman Jazz Band Video Recording Session, 4 - 5:30 PM
Wednesday, December 9: Jazz Ensemble I Video Recording Session, 7 - 8:30 PM
Thursday, December 10: Jazz Ensemble II Video Recording Session, 3 - 4:30 PM
Thursday, December 10: Symphonic Band Video Recording Session, 5 - 6:30 PM
Thursday, December 10: Wind Symphony Video Recording Session, 7 - 8:30 PM
FINANCES & CHARMS
Past Due Band Payments
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/5
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $25.00 Due 8/19
- Fair Share Payment 2 - $25.00 Due 9/30
- Jazz Fair Share Payment 1(if applies) - $15.00 Due 9/30
- School Instrument Semester 1 Maintenance(if applies) - $60.00 Due 9/30
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE