Team Thomson News & Notes
March 5, 2018
Important Information for You!
Literacy Essential #8
Jumping around a bit, I wanted to focus on Literacy Essential #8 which states: Abundant reading material and reading opportunities in the classroom. The classroom includes:
- a wide range of books and other texts, print, audio, and digital, including information books, poetry, and storybooks that children are supported in accessing
- books and other materials connected to children’s interests and that reflect children’s backgrounds and cultural experiences, including class- and child-made books
- books children can borrow to bring home and/or access digitally at home
- comfortable places in which to read books, frequently visited by the teacher(s) and by adult volunteers recruited to the classroom
- opportunities for children to engage in independent reading of materials of their choice every day, with the teacher providing instruction and coaching in how to select texts and employ productive strategies during reading, feedback on children’s reading, and post-reading response activities including text discussion
March is Reading Month
I would like to thank everyone for such as amazing Family Reading Night last week. I have had so many parents tell me what a great night it was for their family. What a great way to kick-off Reading Month.
Our planning committee has planned the following special days to keep the focus on Reading Month. The activities are as follows:
- March 5th-Reading Exercises the Mind-Students and staff are encouraged to wear their favorite jogging/reading suit.
- March 12th-Red Day-Students and staff are encouraged to wear red to go along with our Llama, Llama Red Pajama book.
- March 19th-Snuggle Up to a Good Book-Students and staff are encouraged to wear their pj's to school.
- March 26th-Read a Shirt Day-Students and staff are encouraged to wear clothing with words on it.
Also, don't forget to continue to encourage students and parents to read and record their minutes on their reading calendars.
I am happy to report that I have now had the opportunity to meet with everyone except Amy, who I had to reschedule with due to a parent meeting, for your Growth Plan meetings. I loved talking with you about the areas that you really want to focus on. Working in a type of 'backwards design', I hope will make Growth Plans more meaningful for you and that it has helped to continue to develop a deeper understanding of the connections between the 5D+ Rubric and classroom instruction.
It was also nice to get back into classrooms for observations. Watch you teach and the students learn is really my very favorite part of the job. I look forward to completing several more observations this week.
Cardinal Code Focus of the Week & Cardinal Code Relaunch:
This week the Cardinal Code focus is OFFICE. Please be sure to review the Cardinal Code expectations for coming the office. These should include stepping up to the rug, stating your name and classroom, and the reason for visiting the office.
Quotes Worth Reading
"A book is a dream that you hold in your hands."
"The more your read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
Celebrations & Announcements
Birthdays...No Birthdays in March!
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Monday, March 5th-Internal Review Training, 4:15-5:15 p.m. Cardinal Center; Board of Education Meeting, 7:00 p.m. HS AMR
- Tuesday, March 6th-Tornado Drill
- Wednesday, March 7th-Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: PTO Events, SI-Building Visits & Planning); Early Release Day (Agenda: Literacy & Math)
- Thursday, March 8th-General Admin Meeting (Natalie); (ELA Curriculum Meeting, 4:15-6:15 p.m.-CANCELLED); Transition to Kindergarten Meeting 5-7 p.m. (Natalie)
- Friday, March 9th-Gates Internal Review 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.(?)-(Natalie)
- Monday, March 12th-Literacy Lab Classroom at Thomson
- Tuesday, March 13th-PTO Pals; Science Curriculum Meeting, 4-6 p.m.
- Thursday, March 15th-Elementary Principals Meeting (Natalie); CMC 4-7 p.m.
- Friday, March 16th-Leadership Team Meeting, 7:15-8:15 a.m.; Fire Drill
- Monday, March 19th-Math Curriculum Meeting 4:15-6:15 p.m.; PTO Meeting, 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 20th-Child Study Day (please send names to Jason & I), Cardinal Nest Visits 9:45 a.m. & 12:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 21st-Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: Internal Review)
- Thursday, March 22nd-Kindergarten Math Learning Labs
- Friday, March 23rd-Rep. Ruth Johnson visits to read to Early 5's Classrooms