for the Week of March 5th
Reminders from the Principal
3rd Nine Weeks end March 9. All teachers are required to have administered their 2nd Unit test and conducted RTI for it by then.
All teachers are required to administer a unit assessment every 4.5 weeks and they must be labeled as a unit assessment in your gradebook. These assessments must also appear in the gradebook to reflect grades for that time period. While the expectation is that all teachers will administer at least one unit test every 4.5 weeks, the total number of assessments each nine weeks is determined by the classroom teacher. With assessments counting 75% of the nine weeks grade it behooves each teacher to have more than two. All teachers are required to have spoken to or had face-to-face contact with parents of students who have an "F" in their class BEFORE the end of each 9 weeks. It is NOT the responsibility of the EX ED teacher to make those contacts for the classroom teacher, either. These are non-negotiables.
All staff are responsible for electronic communications and items shared through the google platform. A copy of the current staff handbook for HMS is on the google drive.
We will be adding additional documents as the year progresses. "I did not read my email" or "I did not know how to access the google folders" is not an acceptable excuse.
All teachers should be uploading evidence to EducateAlabama on a regular basis. Do not wait until the last minute.
Here is a list of reminders for this semester:
1. If we want things to change the change starts with us.
2. All employees will be professional.
3. Attendance counts even for the adults. Attendance must be taken each class period and posted.
4. Our expectations for students have to be taught and have to be consistent across the team if not grade level.
5. All teachers are expected to be on time for school and duty.
6. Hall duty does not mean standing in a huddle and talking about the students. It means actively supervising students in all areas of the building. This includes the lunchroom. Teachers do not have a duty free lunch. Teachers are expected to monitor students to the lunchroom, in the lunchroom (including the line) and on the way back from the lunchroom.
7. All students are expected to be in the classroom when the tardy bell rings.
8. No student should be allowed out of class without a pass, period.
9. Teachers and staff are expected to be on campus all day. Permission to leave campus must be given by an administrator and only if it is school related.
10. 3rd Period Advisement and Career Prep Lessons are not optional. It is the expectation that these lessons will be delivered each Friday including when a teacher is absent.
11. Sub folders should contain emergency lesson plans for a teacher's classes including 3rd period.
Important Reminders for the Week of March 5th Plus
Mar 5 - HMS Tennis @ Leeds
Mar 5 - HMS Softball @ McAdory
Mar 6 - Faculty meetings in the conference room
Mar 6 - FBLA meeting after school in Bus Tech Lab
Mar 6 - HMS Golf vs McAdory @ Bentbrook
Mar 6 - HMS Track @ Mortimer Jordan High School
Mar 7 - FCCLA meeting after school in FACS Classroom
Mar 7 - HMS Softball vs Rudd @ Natalie Bunn Field
Mar 8 - PLUS Day - Math
Mar 8 - HMS Golf vs Phillips Academy in Roebuck
Mar 8 - HMS Baseball vs Thompson @ Bud Newell Field
Mar 9 - HMS Baseball vs Oak Mountain and Pelham @ Pelham High School
Mar 9 & 10 - McAdory Softball Tournament - See Coach McAlister for details
Mar 9 - End of 3rd Nine Weeks
Mar 11 - Daylight Savings Kicks in
Mar 12 - Local Professional Development Day - No Students
Mar 12 - Grades due by 3 PM
Mar 13 - Faculty Meetings - Data for core instruction action plan due
Mar 13 - Grade Verification sheets due by 3 PM
Mar 14 - Spring Pictures during PE
Mar 14 - Fire/Tornado drill - 1st period
Mar 14 - Report Cards given out to 7th Period
Mar 16 - 5th Grade Tour
PLUS Team Rotation
Mar 1st - English
Mar 8th - Math
Mar 15th - Science
Mar 22nd - Social Studies
April (This may change due to testing)
Apr 5th - English
Apr 12th - Math
Apr 19th - Science
Apr 26th - Social Studies
No PLUS Team Meetings in May
Lesson Plan, Unit Assessments & Contact Log Administrators
- 6th Grade teachers, Poe, Finch, Overton, and Owens submit to Mr. Anders via email.
- 7th Grade teachers, Gonzalez, Moreno, Evans, Williams and Channel submit to Mr. Powell via email.
- 8th Grade teachers, Cerka-Wilkes, A. Smith, Kunath, Whitfield and Richards-Broome submit to Dr. Foster via email.
Lesson Plans/Parent Contact Log Calendar
- March 16 (LP Mar 19 – Apr 6, PC through Mar 15)
April 6 (LP Apr 9 – April 20, PC though Apr 5)
April 20 (LP Apr 23 – May 4, PC through Apr 19)
May 4 (LP May 7 – May 24, PC through May 3)
May 25 (PC through May 24)