Oak Grove Newsletter - September 22, 2023
As always, please let us know if there is anything we can do to help your student(s) be successful and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. The Oak Grove phone number is 913-288-3900.
¿Necesita traducción de este boletín? Abrir el boletín en su navegador de Internet, luego en la esquina inferior en la derecha verá un ícono de una persona, haga clic en el ícono, haga clic en “Traducir boletín” y seleccione el idioma que necesita en el menú desplegable.
September 27th - Pastries with Parents (6:00 PM)
October 3rd - Skate City Night (6:00 - 8:00 PM)
Friendship Project for Anti-Bullying Awareness
Meet Miss Gracie Gentry, Third Grade Teacher
Hello! My name is Gracie Gentry. This is my first year teaching and I have absolutely loved it! I graduated from Turner High School and then went on to receive my Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education from Park University. I am so happy to be a part of Oak Grove Elementary! Go Panthers!
Student Birthday Celebrations
Due to time constraints and to minimize disruption to instruction, birthday celebrations will be limited to no more than 15 minutes and occur after 3:00 PM. Up to two parents or adults may attend the celebration with 24 hours notice to the teacher and prior approval from administration. Due to limited space and supervision, siblings are not able to attend. In addition to birthday celebrations, parents may eat lunch with their child within the designated areas. As a reminder, all visitors must provide official identification and be run through our background check system.
As indicated in the district’s student handbook, we follow Health Department recommendations and only allow food which is commercially prepared to be brought to school parties and special occasions. All treats must be store bought and sealed in original containers to be served at classroom parties and school activities. No homemade items may be served at school.
For National Hispanic Heritage Month, the library has books with Hispanic characters and topics on a special display. Students have choices of picture books and chapter books.
Save the date: Our first Book Fair is October 18-19 during conferences.
Library Media Specialist
BIST Virtual Parenting Series
Dear Parents and Guardians,
As part of ongoing support for families, your child’s school is offering a series of classes for parents and guardians through a partnership with the Behavior Intervention Support Team (BIST). These training sessions are designed to provide ways you can support your child’s developing academic and behavior skills, as well as increase consistency between home and school.
BIST Virtual Parenting Series
5:45 PM - 6:00 PM Enter Zoom Room
6:00 PM – 6:45 PM Informational Session
6:45 PM – 7:00 PM Questions and Answers
September 19th: Punishment vs. Protection
September 26th: Enabling vs. Equipping
October 3rd: Cultivating Accountability to Grow Seeds of Empathy
These classes are designed to:
· Create consistency between school and home
· Provide language for adults to use when redirecting children
· Share ways to problem solve to increase your child’s success
· Increase generosity and kindness in your children
· Bring a sense of calm to your home
Please join us for any or all three sessions!
How to Register for Free Training
These virtual classes are provided free of charge, however, we do ask that you please register through our website on or before Friday, September 15th, 2023.
To register for this class:
- Go to http://BIST.org
- Use the dropdown menu “My Account.” Click Log In/Log Out.
- Create a username by clicking “Click Here” under the large LOG IN heading. If you already created a username by previously enrolling in a BIST class, just log in.
- Enter your information (Name, Email, and a Password). This will register you on the website, but not for the class.
- Select the class you wish to attend. Click “Register” to the right of the class name.
- Follow the instructions.
- Be sure to select “Pay Later via PO” under the Payment Method. This Parent Class is free, but you must select the “Pay Later via PO” option in order to register.
- Select your child’s District and School from the dropdown menus.
- Select your position as a Parent unless you are a school staff member. If you are both a parent and a school staff member, you may select either.
- Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email containing the Zoom link for the training sessions.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email by noon on Monday, September 18th, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Marty Huitt, Director
Behavior Intervention Support Team/Cornerstones of Care
8150 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64114
PTA loves being able to help Oak Grove each year with classroom grants, school equipment, special learning supplies, carnivals and events, etc. This year will be no different! To accomplish this, we need the help of the parents, grandparents, staff and community to please join PTA so we are able to help our students and teachers and try to make this year feel as normal as possible! You are able to join and pay online through our MemberHub website by clicking the button below. Thank you in advance for supporting Oak Grove PTA! 💚