November 15, 2018
Roosevelt Weekly Parent Info
Hello to all Roosevelt families! A few reminders for the week:
• Climb to Feed Kids: We are again going to have a Roosevelt team for this fundraiser for the Backpack Food Program. IF the Roosevelt community raises $1500, then four different Roosevelt folks will be taped to the wall...sounds exciting, huh??!!! Your child can bring in any cash donations to their teacher starting now, OR here's the link to donate online. Your support is appreciated!!!
• Winter Gear: Roosevelt Raccoons play outside when it's cold! Please spend some time making sure your children have what they need to be warm outside. When it's cooler than 45 degrees F, students need some type of coat and/or sweatshirt. When it reaches 32 degrees F or cooler, students MUST HAVE a coat and some type of covering for their head. Once snow arrives, students in grades K-3 need boots and snow pants. Students in grades 4 & 5 are strongly encouraged to have snow pants and boots, but we do not require it. Your help with this is needed, so thank you! We are always on the hunt for donated winter gear. IF you have gloves, snow pants, or snow boots (all sizes) that you no longer are using, please consider donating them. Gently used, clean items can be brought to the Roosevelt office. THANK YOU!!!
• Rocky Time: Today we kicked off our new theme: PERSISTENCE & SELF-DETERMINATION. We are using this quote: Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison Ask you child about the mistakes video we watched--it was AWESOME!! We should be celebrating our mistakes, as they are key to our brain growing!
• Roosevelt third graders have the opportunity to participate in the statewide Read to the Final Four contest using myON Reader. Third grade myON reading minutes will count toward Roosevelt's standing in the Read to the Final Four bracket. Roosevelt needs to be in the top 17 schools to move on to the bracketed tournament rounds in January. Third graders can view school rankings by logging into myON. Find more information about this on the flyer or by going to http://www.finalfourminneapolis.com/read-to-the-final-four/
• 5th Graders: The PTO is sponsoring a Yearbook Cover Design contest open to ALL 5th grade students. Look for details coming home tomorrow about this awesome opportunity.
• Conferences: It was great to see so many of you on Tuesday. I look forward to connecting with others tonight or on Monday night. We do have child care available in the media center for siblings, AND please check Lost and Found when you are in the building--it grows by the day!
• Box Tops: WOW! The PTO collected over $360 from Box Tops. Keep collecting those, as well as Kwik Trip milk caps and Hy-Vee receipts. These things all add up to help our PTO offset expenses.
• Save the date: The first Student Council Dress Up Day this year will be PJ Day on Monday, November 19. Have fun!
• No School: There is no school November 20-23. School resumes on Monday, November 26.
Have a great weekend, Raccoons!!
Students are learning how to use the heart monitors in PE classes. A huge THANK YOU to Educare and to the Roosevelt PTO for their support of this project!
November Celebration Speaker
Wow. Jaye Davidowski came to speak to our community about perseverance and persistence. He spoke about his journey to be a pilot--the times he quit, the mistakes he made, and the importance of sticking with something that you are passionate about. He was AMAZING!!!!! Thank you, Jaye! You did a great job kicking off our next theme.
ALPS and Reading Bookmark Winners
Kudos to these kiddos for walking on our ALPS course and/or reading at home and returning the bookmark. Way to go, Raccoons!!! YOU ALL ROCK!