Friends of Yahara River Headwaters
Winter 2017 Newsletter
Streambank Stabilization Success
Back in April, 2016, the Village of DeForest awarded us a $20,000 stormwater improvement grant to complete three streambank stabilization projects on the Yahara River adjacent to the Upper Yahara River Trail. The Village then received at $15,000 grant from YaharaWINS to provide matching funds for this project. We contracted Cardno, an environmental consultant company to design the project, secure permits and oversee the construction. All work was completed at the end of November.
Overall, the project went very well. Improving the streambank stability and access to the river not only helps water quality and reduces phosphorus and sediment runoff, it also improves the recreational experience.
Area 1 - By Windsor Rd
Area 3 - By Prairie Fire Ct
Area 1 - By Windsor Rd
- Streambanks were graded on east and west sides of the river.
- A dedicated launch was built.
- Stone J-hook vane installed on the east bank of the river to direct water flow away from eroding streambank.
- Three stone vanes were installed in this project area, on both sides of the river. The vanes direct water flow away from eroded streambank and will naturally narrow the stream over time.
- The steep and eroded streambank was regraded with a bankfull bench (helps hold flood water) and more gradual slope.
Thank you Volunteer Water Monitors
We need you, please volunteer
Special Event Assistance - Helping at fishing clinics, Yahara Riverfest family activities or getting dirty at our River Clean-up - we could always use more hands. Not sure how to bait a hook? That is OK, you can help with registration and check in.
River Blockage Scouting - Enjoy kayaking? Then this activity is for you! Kayak the Yahara River between Veterans Memorial Park and Windsor Rd and note river blockage locations. Report blockages back to us for removal. Interested in taking it a step further? Then assist with the blockage removal too!
Office Support/Publicity - Enjoy putting together newsletters or email promotions? Helping with mailings? Interested in helping to manage our Facebook page? We strive for 3 educational or pertinent Facebook posts per week. We're also in need of people to help write grants. Best of all, these things could be done from your home computer.
Serve on our Board of Directors - Although the annual meeting isn't until June, it isn't too early to start thinking about joining our board. We currently meet monthly, early in the morning on a weekday, so you can attend the meeting (usually only one hour) and then head to work. That way your evenings are still free! Can't make the meeting time but still interested, depending on new board member's availability, meeting dates and times can change for the next term to accommodate schedules.
Don't Forget to Renew your Membership
Did you see our membership renewal email this spring or the reminders on Facebook? Our membership year runs from June 1 - May 31, so there is still time to renew your membership for the 2016-2017 season. Membership is only $10 but it makes a big impact locally! Not sure if your membership is current? Email email@example.com and we'll check.
As a member you will:
- Support our mission of enhancing and protecting the quality of the Yahara River headwaters while educating the community and providing sustainable recreational opportunities.
- Play a vital role in supporting our fishing clinics and river clean-ups.
- Connect with a community who cares about your Yahara River.
- Receive personal invitations to our special events.
- Receive quarterly email newsletters.