February 10, 2017
Lead Learner Highlights
- Students are allowed to arrive 20 minutes before the scheduled delay time. To keep students safe by providing adequate supervision, it is imperative that parents/caregivers refrain from dropping off students prior to this time. These times are as follows: 8:40 am for a 60-minute delay, 9:10 am for a 90-minute delay, and 9:40 am for a 2-hour delay.
- When the message states that offices are delayed, a secretary will be available to answer phones at the following time 8:00 am for a 60-minute delay, 8:30 am for a 90-minute delay, and 9:00 am for a 2-hour delay.
- When there is a school delay ALL BEFORE SCHOOl PROGRAMS/Activities (i.e. PLAE and musical rehearsals) are also canceled.
- If a bus is late please reach out to the Transportation Office at Telephone: (860) 561-6647
Please feel free to reach out to me if you have questions/concerns/ideas to keep you better informed. Joy_Wright@whps.org or 860-233-8230
Need to Know Dates
- 2/10 - 6th Grade Bingo - 3 to 4pm
- 2/12 - Character Counts Winter Bowling League @ Silver Lanes in East Hartford - 2 to 3:30pm
- 2/13 - Rescheduled - Mock Trial Competition @ Kingswood-Oxford from 3 to 8pm
- 2/13 - Hall LUV Concert - 7pm
- 2/14 - Faculty Meeting - there are no late buses
- 2.17 - National Random Act of Kindness Day
- 2/20 - 2/21 - Winter Recess - no school
- 2/24 - Holocaust Speaker (Amethyst & Emerald Teams)
This Bulletin provides students, parents/caregivers, and staff members with important happenings. There is information about a number of school activities.
Special Notice to current 6th and 7th Grade Parents
Bristow Middle School Enrollment
Bristow Middle School expects to have a limited number of openings for students entering grades 7 and 8 in the 2017-2018 school year. Bristow Middle School is a school of choice, drawing its diverse population from all neighborhoods in West Hartford. In the 2017-2018 school year Bristow will have an enrollment of approximately 420 students.
Students who attend King Philip or Sedgwick Middle Schools, or non-public schools who would like to be part of our enrollment for 7th and 8th grade must apply for inclusion in the process by March 21, 2017. In order to help parents make an informed choice two informational meetings will be held at Bristow Middle School on Monday, March 6, 2017 and Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 6:30 pm. Parents can choose to attend either of these meetings. Students are invited to attend these meetings with their parents.
The application form as well as more details about the process for all grades is on our website at http://bristow.whps.org/
If you would like more information about Bristow and its programs please email or call the principal, Steven Cook, at Steven_Cook@whps.org, or 231-2100.
Join the KP Team to Cycle Against Cancer - March 18 - Please contact Justin Gusy (justin_gusy@whps,org) if you would like to join the KP team
Stay in the know about our clubs and activities happening during the week.
February Intramural Schedule Below
Student Contest to highlight a favorite teacher - click below
SEPTO News - Transition Planning
Wednesday, February 15 at 7pm
Monthly Meeting – Topic TBD
Save the date for our regularly scheduled monthly meeting at Sedgwick Middle School at 7pm in the multipurpose room.
It’s always the right time to join West Hartford SEPTO! Please register online at www.whsepto.org/membership.html
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/West-Hartford-SEPTO
CONVERSATION EQ Vs. IQ: How We Measure Children & Their Success - Great conversation -(46 min)
Parents, you have a challenging job these days. You may also be uncomfortable talking about mature topics, or not know where to start. Don’t worry. You can rise to your challenge by developing a mindset for progressive conversations.
Talcott Mountain Science Center Opportunities
Free Community Breakfast
The Fern Street Community Kitchen has free community breakfasts for neighbors in need at The Universalist Church, 433 Fern Street, WestHartford. The Community Breakfast is held every other Monday. Foodshare Mobile Truck distributes food from the back parking lot from9:15-9:45AM. Breakfast is served 9:00-10:00 AM.
BREAKFAST DATES: (9:00-10:00 AM)
February 13, February 27
March 13, March 27
PANTRY DATES:(10:00 AM-12:00 PM)
January 21, February 18, March 18
For more information about the Fern Street Community Kitchen, call 860-233-3669 or email firstname.lastname@example.org,
"Public Act 16-189
We believe that it is vital for all students in West Hartford Public Schools to be able to efficiently and effectively use digital tools that empower them in all phases of the learning process, including research, problem solving, content creation, communication, and collaboration. We also believe that we must be committed at all times to protecting students' privacy and providing them with a powerful and safe educational experience. To that end, the West Hartford Public Schools follow the legal requirements of Public Act 16-189 to promote the safety and security of all students and staff.
In compliance with Connecticut State Law, we update online programs used within the district that house student data. The programs may be used district-wide, in a very small number of classrooms, or with individual students. The list will be updated each time the district enters into a new contract where student data is housed. For more information on the specifics of Public Act 16-189 and updates of vendor agreements, visit www.whps.org/pa189."