Panther Newsletter -- June 5, 2015
It's been a great school year! Congratulations to all students for working hard to achieve their accomplishments. I would also like to wish the very best to our 5th grade class who will be heading over to PALMS next year. I hope all students continue to read, write, & practice their math facts over the summer. I wish you all a fun, safe, & relaxing summer!
Please feel free to contact me at 610-847-5131 ext. 6001 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be available most of the summer if you have things that you'd like to discuss with me.
Springfield Elementary Principal
6/9- Final Panther Pride Assembly, 2:30pm, Springfield Gym
6/10- Bus Driver Breakfast, 9am, Springfield Library
6/10- EPS meeting- 7pm, PHS Audion. Presenting data comparing Springfield to other Elementary Schools in our District
6/12- 5th Grade Promotion Ceremony, 10:30am, Springfield Gym
6/15-Last Day of School! Happy Summer!
6/17- Board meeting, 7:30pm, PHS Library
Did You Know?
Our first bottlecap art project is in the works--so send in your caps! But don't stop collecting! Mrs. McNichol has more ideas in store for those caps, so keep saving--even over the summer. Thanks!
Class end-of-year parties will be held during the last full week of school--check with your teacher or homeroom parent to discover the date of your party.
New PA law requires re-submission of volunteer clearances every 3 years and adds FBI Clearance (fingerprinting) to the list. More info & links
Palisades High School will host a mobile site for fingerprinting on August 26, 2015; Fingerprinting will be required as part of the clearances beginning in the 2015-16 school year.
School Starts BEFORE Labor Day next year--mark your calendar for August 31st! Back to School Night will occur BEFORE the start of school--August 27th. School Calendar
We will continue to run our BoxTops for Education & the Labels for Education fundraisers next year, so please keep collecting over the summer!
Upcoming Sports / Activities
8/10-13 Camp Invention, Palisades HS, 8am-4pm Flier Available at other local schools on different weeks of summer. See website in flier for more info.
Purple & Gold Summer Day Camps, entering grades 6-9. Flier
Palisades Summer Sports Camps, entering grades K-9. Flier
Palisades Summer Rec Program, entering grades K-6. Flier
Palisades Youth Field Hockey Flier
Palisades Youth Soccer Programs, Spring, Summer & Fall, many ages & many programs.
Palisades Pirates Youth Football & Cheer (now including Flag Football), 2015 registration, grades K-7th. Flier
SEPTA Meeting - 6/1
1. 100-step challenge results were announced at the Panther Pride Assembly on 5/26: all students reached the reading goal of 100 steps, so Mr. Davis will spend the night on the school roof on 6/4! Students & their families may stop by to visit around 7pm; he will read a bedtime story around 7:30pm. An email will be sent home with information on how to watch the bedtime story live on Google Hangouts.
2. Back to School Night will be held on August 27th--before school starts on the 31st. Back to School Night is for parents to meet their child(ren)s new teacher who shares expectations & goals for their class and an opportunity for parents to ask questions of the teacher.
3. The current Kindergarten enrollment at Springfield is 23 students; if that number rises above 25 students during the summer, then there will be two Kindergarten sessions (morning & afternoon), otherwise there may be only one half-day Kindergarten session.
4. Jill Triani gave an update on purchases, including gym shades installation (beginning 6/16) & microphone purchase.
5. A new Panther Pride t-shirt design will be chosen by the 1st-4th graders this week. The new shirt design will be available next year.
- Thank you to Mr. Johnson & Mr. Hogan for planning Field Day and for all teachers & aides who helped run the events, the parents who helped & those who sent in water & popsicles for the children!
- Thank you to the Title-1 teachers & support staff for planning the Title-1 parent meeting & student celebration, and for Kate Kieres, Director of Curriculum, for joining us.
- Thank you to Mrs. Scholl & Mrs. Hall for organizing Chess Club and the recent Chess Club district tournament. Thank you to our Springfield student representatives: 3rd Grade: William J, Runner up: Harrison K; 4th Grade: Ethan W, Runner up: Melody W; 5th Grade: Triston R, Runner up: Peter S. for playing well!
- Thank you to Jade Scholl & Courtney Muck for organizing the Springfield Steppers (composed of both students & staff) who raised money at school & at the Relay for Life event at Quakertown Memorial Park May 30-31 totaling $1500--raising funds & awareness to save lives from cancer.
- Thank you to Bella Clifford for her work installing the new shrubs & mulch along the front walkway & thank you Daphne Pavlinski for helping her!
- Thank you to all the teachers & staff who supplied fabulous food for the Volunteer Luncheon on 6/1. Yum!
- Thank you to all the volunteers who brought their power screwdrivers/drills & helped our students attach bottlecaps! Parents: Sarah Gappa, Jen Bauman, Moira Hower, Cheryl Stevens, Maryanne McClintic & Lyla Cookson. Former teacher: Chuck Wagner. Teachers & aides: Mrs. Burne, Mrs. Mannherz, Ms. Borzok, & Mrs. Butler.
- Thank you to Dr. Bridget O'Connell, Superintendent, & Scott Davis, Principal, for stopping by to help attach bottlecaps, too!
- Thank you to Mike Clifford (parent) & Dale Marino (custodian) for loading, cutting & planting the bottlecap flowers.
3rd Grade Salads
- Events & More -
- Tug-of-War -
Bottlecap Project - Painting & Attaching
Pre-teen/Teen Girls Website
Math Fact Awards
Math Ribbons were awarded to the following students at the May 26th Panther Pride Assembly:
Mason B, Riannan S, Chance B, Isabella C, Nathan F, Brandon P, Ava R, William Z, Corban F,
Natalie G, Novella K, Jared N, Silas D, Matthew M, Lydia M, Gianna N, MacLeod O, Lucy S, Megan R & Dylan V
Olivia K, Genevieve F, Reese K, Chantel L & Katelyn M
Jayden G, Teddy H, Zoe K & Madalyn G
PM-K: Layne L, Avery J, Austin M, Adrianna R, Brianna R, & Tatianna G
1st Grade: Bobby T, Chance B, Novella K, Corban F, Ian H, Natalie G, Kyli J, Olivia D, Silas D,
Gwen L & Lydia M
2nd Grade: Kathleen A, Sean F, Cameron H, Ava H, John L, & Jonathon S
3rd Grade: Josh H, Peter B, Eve H, Brendan S & Logan D
4th Grade: Amanda A, Teddy H, Zoe K, Katie H, Wyatt H, Jayden G, Seamus F, Blake E &Melody W
Beyond 100 Steps...
At the May Panther Pride Assembly the following students were recognized for reading above (and sometimes way beyond!) the 100 steps required. Great work!
200 Steps: Abbi E, Wesley D, Isabella C, Louden H & Jack F
300 Steps: William Z
200 Steps: Julia B & Molly L
300 Steps: Johonna S, Colby M, Annaliese L & Olivia O
400 Steps: Olivia O
200 Steps: Alena H, Oliva K, Katelyn M & Joey V
300 Steps: Genevieve F, Kaylie G, Kaitlyn C, Devon P & Chase M
400 Steps: Giada S, Reese K, & Ellie N
500 Steps: Harrison K
900 Steps: Amelia S
200 Steps: Michael Z, Joseph Z, William C & Wyatt H
300 Steps: Melody W, Teddy H, Blake E & Samantha N
400 Steps: Zoe K, Seamus F & Allison B
500 Steps: Laci G, Shawna K & John M
500 Steps: Aidan M
900 Steps: Brianna H
1000 Steps: Hailey S
They were: Kaelynn T, Bobby T, Brendan S & Lessette D. Congratulations!
For more information on this program follow this link.
Comments, Thoughts, Ideas
Did anything in this newsletter make you say "Huh?" or "What's that all about?" Please let me know and we'll follow up with more information. Just click on the green "Contact Lyla Cookson" or email directly to email@example.com.
For the safety of our children, PLEASE do not share this newsletter on any of the social media sites.