PHS Staff Update - Grading Period 1
Volume 2, Number 5 (September 22, 2014)
Krashen at PHS
We will do a follow up on some of the SSR elements to be sure we are using the SSR time effectively. He mentioned several times how impressed he was with the faculty at PHS. Special thanks to Connie for her help in coordinating his visit with us.
Dr. Stephen Krashen speaking to our staff last Wednesday
An Awesome ELAC!
- Petaluma Girls' Volleyball has moved into league play. After defeating El Molino, they are sitting at 5-3 on the season. They visit Analy on Tuesday and host Healdsburg Thursday.
- Girls' golf picked up two wins last week, already ahead of last season's pace. Sarah Jane shot a one-under par at the Fairgrounds making us all proud and jealous! They visit Sonoma National on Thursday this week.
- All three football squads again came away with wins. The frosh stopped Ukiah Thursday night, while the JV and Varsity squads traveled to Daly City to best Jefferson High School. Varsity is now 3-1 and prepares to open league play at Sonoma Valley this Friday.
- Girls' tennis remains unbeaten and continues a dominating season this week.
- Boys' soccer continued its strong play, beating Elsie Allen 1-0, running their record to 7-3. They host Healdsburg and are away at Piner this week.
- Girls soccer is doing well too, but I don't have their scores for the week. Update next time.
- Don't forget to check the PHS website for the upcoming athletics schedule. Go to http://phsathletics.wix.com/trojans . You can also download our Athletics app to your mobile device for access on the go.
- Follow us on Twitter for the latest in news and sports scores @PetalumaHS...
A Busy Start of the Week Coming Up...
Monday is also a Trojan Connections day. Please be sure you have reviewed Kerry's TC email since you are on your own today (with the ASB students at the CASL/CADA event)
Monday is also our staff meeting starting at 3:15pm. The agenda is full so please arrive on time for prompt start.
On Wednesday, the PLN teams will meet. There will be further information coming shortly on Wednesday's activity...
And, as you know, Wednesday is also the end of the first grading period!
SSA (Safe School Ambassador) training on Tuesday and Wednesday - see Jennie Lounibos if you need information or want to help out. Jennie has done amazing work with these students over the past few years. I think she is still looking for a couple more teacher leaders.
Some October dates to consider:
Oct 13 - District wide Staff Development
Oct 15 - PSAT Testing - Late start for 9th, 12th and non-testing 11th
Oct 17 - Homecoming Parade/Football
Oct 18 - Homecoming Dance
A Great Article on Asking Questions...
Below is a link to a relatively old article that has some current wisdom. Steven Reinhart writes about how he asks questions of students. He wanted his students to take on the journey of learning themselves. He defines the change in his definition of good teaching from "one who explains things so well that students understand" to "one who gets students to explain things so well that they can be understood." An interesting Common Core-ish ideal from the year 2000. Please take a look. We might talk briefly about this next week at our staff meeting.