Thinking Strategies with iPads
Using Marzano's 9
Why use an iPad?
- 90% of Americans have a mobile phone
- 6 billion of the world's population have access to mobile phones while only 4.5 billion have access to working toilets
- More children ages 2-5 can work a smart phone than tie their own shoes
- This year's first graders have never known a world without touch screens
- The first iPhone debuted in 2007
MTS 3G PLUS - Internet Baby - Born For The Internet [TV Advertisement] 
Where do I start?
- Start with the learning standard
- Focus on what you want them to learn
- How will they show you what they have learned?
- What will help students acquire and integrate learning?
- What will help students practice, review, and apply learning?
What will students learn?
Setting Objectives- focuses on establishing a direction for learning
Which strategies will help students acquire and integrate learning?
- Cues, Questions, and Advance Organizers- use what they already know to enhance what they are about to learn
- Non-linguistic Representation- enhances students' ability to use mental images to represent and elaborate knowledge
- Summarizing and Note Taking- focuses on enhancing students' ability to synthesize information and put it in a concise new form
- Cooperative Learning- focuses on having students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning
- Reinforcing Effort- enhances students' understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement by addressing their attributes and beliefs about learning
Which strategies will help students practice, review, and apply learning?
- Identifying Similarities and Differences- allows understanding of complex problems in a simple way.
- Homework and Practice- extend learning outside the classroom
- Generating and Testing Hypothesis- enhancing their overall understanding of the content
Which strategies will provide evidence of student learning?
- Providing Feedback- focuses on formative assessment
- Providing Recognition- giving students rewards or praise for accomplishments