We Are Together Tamanend!
January 18, 2019
CB Save the Music Concert--January 25th and 26th at Holicong
Organized by the CB Music Department, the 16th Annual CB Save the Music Concert is here – next January 25th and 26th! This popular CB event supports the VH1 Save the Music Foundation, which helps schools provide music instruction to their students. Mr. Sanchez, Mr. Werner, Chieftain Chorus, Gold’n’Blues, and Jazz band are performing in this year’s concert. After raising enough money to entirely fund a music program at Thurgood Marshall K-8 School in New Orleans, LA in 2018, we are hoping to raise over $35,000 again this year to support another school music program. Tickets are selling briskly – they usually sell out, so get your tickets before they do! If you cannot attend, you can also support the cause by donating online (on Facebook or Crowdrise and liking/sharing/following the concert on Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube! There is also one additional restaurant fundraiser at Candlewyck in Buckingham Monday 1/21 from 5p-8p. Thanks for your support!
Gold'n'Blues Performs National Anthem at Temple Basketball Game
Gold’n’Blues has been active performing in the community this winter! After their holiday season performances, they recently performed the National Anthem at a Temple Basketball game (a fun overtime victory for the Owls!) and will perform for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service opening ceremony on Monday and at the CB Save the Music Concert on January 25th and 26th, along with Chieftain Chorus and Jazz Band.
Please Note: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Bucks County Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit to be Rescheduled Due to Expected Storm on Sunday
Reminder--Join Us for Kelly Anne Dolan Day at Tamanend on Saturday, February 23!
Fun with the Ski Club
This past Sunday, the Tamanend Ski Club had their third successful trip of the season. Here you’ll see some of our skiers and boarders getting ready for a run at Jack Frost Mountain. The club has been a blast thus far and we’re looking forward to our next three trips later this month. See you on the slopes.
Reminder--Program Planning for 2019-2020
Program Planning for the 2019-2020 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 3--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders
- January 4--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 10--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 18--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 18 to February 3--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 31--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 8--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 7th Graders
- February 26--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 5--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 8th Graders
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Martin Luther King Jr. Bucks County Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit--Will be rescheduled. Stay tuned for details.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service--Monday 1/21 School is closed for the holiday; encourage your child to volunteer by clicking here.
CB Save the Music Concerts--Friday, January 25 at 7:30 pm at Holicong Middle School; Saturday, January 26 at 3:00 pm and 7:30 pm at Holicong Middle School
Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Day & Basketball Fundraiser--Saturday, February 23
Athletic Department Updates
The 8th grade girls basketball team won the Bucks County League, Northern Division postseason tournament. Congratulations on a tremendous season!
FROM CB SOUTH:
- There will be a CB South Boys Volleyball informational meeting for players/parents on January 23rd at 6:30pm in Room D204.
- CB South Boys Tennis – Interest meeting at CB South on January 24 at 3:00pm in the Forum Room. For any boy grades 9-12 interested in trying out for the tennis team this spring.
Athletic Department Schedule
- 7th/8th grade Wrestling vs. Log College (Home; 3:15)
- 9th grade boys basketball BLUE @ Tohickon (5:00); bus leaves at 4:15
- 9th grade boys basketball GOLD vs. Tohickon (Home; 5:00)
- 7th/8th grade Wrestling @ Holicong (3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 9th Grade Boys Basketball tournament: Teams TBD (Seed 4 vs. Seed 5); 5:00 at Tamanend;
Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
January's Featured Teacher--Mrs. McFarland
This month’s featured teacher is Mrs. McFarland! Mrs. McFarland has been working at Tamanend for 14 years and her favorite part about being a teacher is helping her students so they can make the world a better place. Mrs. McFarland’s hobbies are eating, reading, watching TV and hanging out with family. Her favorite vacation spots are Ocean City, New Jersey and Boston, Massachusetts. Mrs. McFarland graduated from Ursinus. Her favorite foods include brownies, Thanksgiving dinner, chocolate cake and fruit. Mrs. McFarland’s favorite color is purple, and her favorite music genre is alternative rock. Mrs. McFarland’s favorite show and book series are Modern Family and Harry Potter. When Mrs. McFarland retires she sees herself wherever her kids are living and volunteering with babies or animals. Thank you for reading about January's featured teacher!
--Submitted by Paige S.
New Tamanend Spirit Wear
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is February 5
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
Reminder--Community Connections at Tamanend--January 30
Dear Tamanend Middle School Families,
Please join me in the Tamanend library on Wednesday, January 30 from 6 p.m. until 7 p.m. for “Community Connections,” one of a series of parent meetings scheduled to take place in each of our schools.
These meetings are designed to encourage frank conversations about our shared vision for the future of our schools. I hope you can find time to attend; I look forward to hearing your feedback and ideas.
A video introduction can be seen on the website homepage at www.cbsd.org/communityconnections.
I hope to see you on January 30!
John J. Kopicki, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Central Bucks School District
Celebration of Our Schools
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Internet Safety Presentation
Reminder--Parent Positive Presentation-Healthy Transitions from Elementary to Middle to High School
iSmart Parenting Presentation Sponsored by NOVA
Thursday, Feb. 21st, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900