April 9, 2016
"The Best Day Ever!"
Amelie lives each day with the philosophy that it is "the BEST day ever!" When her dad texted to check on how she's doing and I asked her, she replied, "I played pirates with Noah and it was the BEST day ever." The next day I'd ask her again and she'd say, "I played dress-up with Mercy. It was the BEST day ever!" The next day? You've got it. "The BEST day ever!"
Each day at the beach, whether it was so windy we had to stay on the deck or she could be building sand castles near water's edge and bossing her Auntie Mercy around, she would often stop, throw her hands up in the air, and say, "This is the BEST day ever!"
I want to live my life like she does. I'm going to write her quote on a sticky note and put it on my computer monitor so I can be reminded, "This is the BEST day ever!"
As we have professional conversations around this topic, I invite you to ask questions, listen to others on your team, dig into your own thinking, and stretch yourself. Before we can expect our kids to grow and learn around HSE21, we need to continue to learn and grow around HSE21 ourselves.
It's been a privilege to listen to your conversations during collab these past months. I've noticed a shift in how you process with each other allowing for challenging each other's thinking, confirming your own, or even changing it a bit. These professional conversations encourage and nurture our own growth and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of them.
Quotes from the book Amplify
~p. 22-23 from Amplify-Digital Teaching and Learning in the K-6 Classroom by Kate Muhtaris and Krstin Ziemke
Naomi and I are going to a conference the Monday back from Spring Break that features one of the authors of this book, Kristin Ziemke. I spent the day coming north from Florida immersed in this book. As I was reading the early pages of the books, the authors mentioned professional texts that have greatly influenced them. Reading their list felt like stumbling upon the list of old friends. I'll end with another quote from their book:
"No matter what devices or resources we have, we let our core believes and mindset guide how we use tools in the classroom. We focus on the overall goal of teaching kids how to think and then layer in the purposeful tools along the way. we--and our students--need to understand how the tools work and why we're using them. In order to do that, we need to remind ourselves what effective teaching looks like and fall back on the work of teacher-researchers and authors who have guided our teaching."
~p. 4 from Amplify
For Your Calendar
- Tuesday, April 12 4:30-7:00 - Elementary Learning Fair
- Tuesday, April 12 7:00 PTO Open Forum - CRES Fest Update, Exec. Board voting, etc.
- Thursday, April 14 5:00-7:00 PM - Kindergarten Round-up/Open House
- Friday, April 15 3:40-5:30 - Fun Friday sponsored by our Fourth Grade
- Friday, April 22 CRES Fest Balloon Man assemblies throughout the day
- Friday, April 22 CRES Fest 5:30-8:00
Monday, April 11 Day 3
- 3:10 Collab Team 3 - SIP PD - Problem Solving
Tuesday, April 12 Day 4
- 8:00/4:00 Tech Tuesday in Georgi's room
- 8:15 STL - MH - Snyder
- 9:30 Admin Meeting at FJH - Lisa gone
- 11:30 RtI meeting
- 1:30-2:30 Walk-through with Jan Combs
- 3:10 Collab Team 2 - SIP PD - Problem Solving
- 7:00 PTO Open Forum Meeting in the Art Room
Wednesday, April 13, Day 1
- Fire Drill today
- 2:00 Office meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 4 - SIP PD - Problem Solving
Thursday, April 14, Day 2
- 7:35 CIT
- 1:05 STL - KW - Hale
- 3:10 Collab Team K - SIP PD - Problem Solving
- 4:10 EC Collab
- 5:00-7:00 Kindergarten Round-Up/Open House
Friday, April 15, Day 3
- Mix Match Day - Wear your most mismatched outfit
- 8:00 STL - TM - Cook
- 8:15 STL - AG - Hicks
- 1:00 RtI meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 1 - SIP PD - Problem Solving
- 3:40-5:30 Fun Friday sponsored by Fourth Grade
Monday, April 18 Day 4
- ISTEP starts this week
- 3:10 Collab Team 2 - Math Problem Solving
Tuesday, April 19 Day 1
- 3:10 Collab Team 3 - Math Problem Solving
Wednesday, April 20 Day 2
- 2:00 Office meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 4 - Math Problem Solving
Thursday, April 21 Day 3
- 8:00 Inside Information book study
- 3:10 Collab Team K - Math Problem solving
Friday, April 22 Day 4
- $1 Hat Day
- 8:15 STL - TG - Omeish
- 1:00 RtI meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 1 - Math Problem Solving
- 5:00 Food Trucks for CRES Fest open
- 5:30-8:00 CRES Fest