Sequoia Elementary Newsletter
School News and Updates
Next Wednesday, October 2nd, is International Walk and Roll to School Day! This is always a fun and high participation event at Sequoia. This is one of many opportunities we have this year to focus on wellness for our students and families as well as care for our earth. We encourage all students and families to walk or roll (bike, skate, scooter) to school. Please see below for more detailed information about how your family can participate!
Every two years our school asks for new parents and staff to join our School Site Council. The purpose of a School Site Council is to review and approve our school goals, school safety plan and LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan). This group meets 3-4 times a year and is composed of the school principal, parents, teachers and other school staff members. I am looking for 3-5 parents to join our site council this year. If we have more than 5 parents interested, we are required to hold an small election where the school community will vote for their preferred representatives. If you are interested in being part of this group please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is a great way to get involved in your child's education and allows you to be part of important decision making for our school.
As a quick reminder, we ask that students not be dropped off at school before 8:00am. Lately, we have had several students on campus well before 8:00am when there is no supervision. Students dropped off at 8:00am should sit on the bench outside the front office until our staff takes them down to the blacktop. Thank you for your help with this issue.
I want to express my appreciation for your time and commitment in coming to parent-teacher conferences this week and next. At Back to School Night, I spoke about looking for and finding opportunities to connect to each other and our school staff. Our staff continues to consider ways we can connect with students and families regularly to make a difference in student learning and lives. Conferences are one way we get to connect with every family and we appreciate the time we get with you to learn more about your child and your hopes and goals for them this year. Connection and healthy relationships with you and your child will make the difference in how we help your child grow in all areas this year. Please continue to check in with your child's teacher often throughout the year and always remember I am available to touch base by email, phone call or a stop by the office.
International Walk and Roll to School Day!
Wednesday, Oct. 2nd, 8am
Next Wednesday is Sequoia's Walk and Roll to School Day! We encourage all parents and students to participate in this fun, healthy event by walking and rolling (biking, skating or scootering) to school!
Drop Off Locations:
- If you usually drop off by car in the morning and your child would like to participate, we have two locations that students can walk and roll onto campus with teachers.
- Staff will be in the Safeway parking lot (on Calistoga Rd.) waiting for WALKING students only.
- Staff will also be at Oaklake Green Park (corner of Garfield Park and Monte Verde) waiting for WALKING and ROLLING students only.
- Please be at either location promptly at 8:00am as staff will be leaving no later than 8:15am.
Rolling to Campus Information:
- If your child is rolling onto campus, please make sure they are wearing a helmet.
- If our bike racks fill up, the gym will be available to keep bikes for the day.
- If your child attends daycare and your child's bike is in the gym, we will have them move it to a bike rack location after school until you are able to pick up.
- We encourage you to bring a bike lock because we do not have a secure location to keep bikes after this event.
Activities on Walk and Roll Day:
- Mr. Tayler will be working on bikes near the counseling office at lunch recess. He will have extra tools for students to use if they'd like to join in and learn about bikes and bike repair.
- As a school we will graph how all of our students came to school that day.
Incentives and More Fun:
- Students who Walk and Roll to school or walk 5 laps that day will receive a Go Green Ticket which will be entered into a raffle for prizes.
- The classes with the most walkers and rollers will get extra recess in the coming weeks.
- We will also have a Frequent Walk and Roll Program for those that want to keep the walk and roll going! Stay tuned for more information on that soon.
If your child is Kinder-2nd grade we expect that they will have an adult accompany them on and off campus before and after school.
Correction: Copperfield's Book Fair at Sequoia starting Sept. 30th!
Monday, Sep. 30th, 10:30am to Friday, Oct. 4th, 2:30pm
Camp Sequoia Walkathon Pledge Collecting Online!
Pledgestar helps make it easier for some families to request pledges from their family and friends who may be out of town or who would like to pay with a credit card. If you’d like to try this out, you can start requesting pledges now!
· Go to http://pledgestar.com/sequoia
· Enter your name and email address, then click Register
· Follow the instructions as prompted
When you finish, the system will email pledge requests to your family and friends, and allows them to make secure credit card donations online or send in checks. You get notified each time a pledge is made, and you can track your pledge progress online. Call 1-888-598-7510 if you need help.
Thinking about Middle School?
See the flyer below for more details!
Spirit Wear Update!
Dates to Remember
- September 23rd - Oct. 4th - Fall Conferences
- October 10th - SPC Meeting in Library @ 6:30pm
- October 11th - Walk-a-Thon
- October 17th - The Big Shake Out Earthquake Drill @ 9:30am
- October 23rd - Tomatina Dine and Donate for Sequoia
- October 25th - Sequoia's Fall Festival (more details to come)