20Learn, powered by Schoology
Where Learning Happens │September 14, 2018
Where Are We Now? - The Weekly Update
We have over 200 pilot members at some stage of the Getting Started with Schoology course! There has been over 325 discussion posts and over 7500 page views. It’s great to see so many people interacting with Schoology!
What you can do:
- Encourage your team members to join the course so that we can learn together!
- Share your favorite features and benefits in the Updates feed.
- Ask questions in the recent updates feed.
- Connect with other educators
- Please, do not distribute Access Codes to your IC courses. You will end up with duplicated students and later gradebook issues. Please submit a help ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance with duplicated students in your course(s).
- Parents won’t have their own 20Learn accounts during the fall semester.
- Grade passback between Schoology and IC isn’t available this semester.
- We are working on special roles for Resource teachers and paras. If you need temporary advisor capabilities until the technical process has been vetted, please submit a help ticket to email@example.com.
As we make progress with those features we’ll communicate updates.
Keep in mind that we’re at the beginning of a journey. We have a lot of ground to cover and we’re just learning the terrain. Partner with us by participating, asking questions, and providing feedback so that we can continue to grow. That participation is helping us work to meet your needs.
Email - Google or MSA?
Google or MSA? Which should we be using?
Students are being asked to login to 20Learn/Schoology using the email address IDfirstname.lastname@example.org. While some of you may be familiar with this email address, many are asking where this email came from and if you’re supposed to start using it with students. These are great questions!
The msa.asd20.org student emails are part of our district Microsoft account and are linked to our active directory. The “msa” in the email stands for “my student account.” Since these email addresses are associated with active directory, students need to use them in order to login to our secure Schoology domain.
Does this mean that we need to start using the MSA email accounts with our students for communication and class assignments? No, it doesn’t. Please continue with your current email practice and use the tool that is best for your site and your community.
Whether it’s the Gmail (IDemail@example.com) or the MSA (IDfirstname.lastname@example.org), we encourage you to be consistent throughout your school and communicate with your community which tools you are using.
Wow and Thank you!
Thank you for being part of such a successful launch! Here’s what we’ve seen over the past month:
- over 275,000 total visits
- over 4 million page views
- over 55,000 files uploaded
- over 64,000 submissions
- over 11,000 comments posted
Here’s what we’ve learned:
- Old habits die hard, like distributing Access Codes to students. With our IC integration we don’t need to do that. (We can help fix that :-)).
- There are differences between the Schoology app and the browser version. It helps to check out the views to see the differences until you get used to them.
- Communication is key! When something unusual happens, communicate it to your DLC or us. We’re happy to help plus we won’t know what to fix or improve unless we hear from you.
- There are so many supportive, excited ASD20 staff members that have really helped us make this successful!
I’d like to give a big shout out to Mountain View Elementary for their activity within 20Learn, nice start! I’d also like to give a virtual high-five to Challenger Middle School for having over 85,00 total visits and Pine Creek High School for having over 89,000 total visits in the first month - way to kick off the year!
As with any new adventure, there are questions and concerns. We'd love to hear them! Submit your questions, comments and concerns, and we'll do our best to address them in the following weekly newsletter.
Learning Services and Digital Integration Services are partnering with Schoology to develop our training program. You will be receiving online and face-to-face learning and support opportunities.
There are two (2) courses for you to join:
- In Schoology - Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology = this is growing and developing course to walk you through the process of getting to know Schoology. Join code = 5XK69-CHSJH.
- In the SPOT - Schoology Support for Pilot Participants: Foundations and Best Practices = this is where you register in order to receive credit for your work. Course ID=1819-017-20.
Your support will include online instruction and resources in the Schoology platform, face-to-face drop in sessions throughout the summer and school year, webinars, plus additional workshops and formal training opportunities. Do you need instant support? Schoology has an extensive resource collection to help, too!
Keep logging your hours!