This Week in First Grade
Mrs. Brower Class, Room 106
The Week of March 9, 2015
ELA ~ We completed Lesson 20 on Monday and continued on to Lesson 21 Flake, the Missing Hamster on Tuesday. We talked about plays and how they are different from stories. We practiced reading out parts of the play. We also focused on the long a silent e (aCe) spelling pattern. Watch out for Sneaky E! We reviewed contractions and adjectives. We also continued our unit on Letter Writing.
EDM ~ Unit 6 is a fun and busy. We've measured with centimeters, made fact families, practiced 'What's My Rule?' activities and finally introduced the quarter. On Friday, we had Explorations, like math centers. We explored making shapes on geo-boards, played Egg Crate Addition, learned probability with spinners and played math games on the iPads. Make sure your child continues to practice Fact Power Nightly.
Science Rocks ~ Characteristics of Mammals
- Warm-blooded (which means to maintain a constant body temperature)
- Has fur or hair
- Gives birth to live young (except the spiny anteater and platypus)
- Feeds milk to young
- Vertebrates (has an endoskeleton)
- Breaths with lungs
Read Aloud ~ Charlotte's Web
Notes From the Classroom:
- Purple Homework Folders should be checked and signed nightly, including over the weekend. This is important to showing your child how to be responsible for homework.
- Fly Guy Field Trip is Thursday, March 26th. Please remember to send your child to school with a packed lunch, if you didn't order a lunch on the permission slip form. We will eat in the classroom before leaving for the trip. (If you can't remember, email me.)
- Our Spring Party will be April 2nd, exact time are still in the works. I'll let you know as soon as I find out more.