Recap from Ojai!
Tips, News & Notes
My first newsletter "S'more format" to my awesome team!
Hello all! I hope you are all enjoying Fall so far!
I will be using S'more (an easy online customizable newsletter/flyer) to communicate to our team and my client base. This one is mostly from notes I gained through Ayesha Dawley, Senior Director, (and consultant friend in MN) who earned the incentive trip to Ojai! I asked if I could share her notes with you, and she was more than happy to share! She will be at The Radisson Blu this Tuesday, if you want to connect with her! She's awesome! TGIF!!! -Lani McCollar
How was Ojai? : From Ayesha Dawley, MN Senior Director
But, in my opinion, the most amazing part was the opportunity to hear Gregg Renfrew, Christy Coleman and Mia Davis speak about that with which they're passionate. When you see and hear them in action, your commitment to this mission, and to our standards, becomes even more solidified. Your enthusiasm spikes and you can't wait to share what you've learned with your networks.
What is also incredibly valuable about these gatherings is meeting other Beautycounter consultants and getting to know them on a more personal level. You get to chat about what has made them successful, what hasn't worked as well, and you just get to see what type of people are involved with this company. You always leave impressed! It's that feeling of, "These are my people." Quite literally, women on a mission."
Gregg Renfrew: What we are and what we are not.
- A disruptive beauty brand dedicated to radical transparency.
- All about SAFETY AND PERFORMANCE.
- Direct retail brand.
Who/What We Are Not:
- All organic.
- An MLM.
- Direct sales company.
- A network marketing company.
- Do not use the terms "non-toxic" or "pure."
Confused? Don't be. Call or text me!
We use natural and organic ingredients whenever possible, but our biggest priority is SAFETY AND PERFORMANCE. We use some synthetic ingredients when organic/natural aren't possible - but they are SAFE synthetic ingredients.
There is no such thing as chemical-free. WATER IS A CHEMICAL. Everything is a chemical. And, if there is water in a product, by law you have to use a preservative so that it won't mold (unless it's a product that will be refrigerated). We use the lowest amount of preservatives possible - at safe levels.
We are a direct retail brand, meaning that we sell through a variety of channels: person-to-person (through a consultant), online through Beautycounter.com, and through strategic partnerships such as those with J. Crew and Goop. This makes our products accessible to anyone - and subsequently helps us achieve our mission of getting safe products into the hands of everyone.
Gregg Renfrew: More on Brand....
Gregg spoke out protecting our brand, and she was pretty fired up about it!
A brand goes beyond the font, style or packaging of our products. It's also portrayed in the way we (consultants) promote and describe our business. Here are a few key points to keep in mind and follow so that we may maintain this stylish, classic and elegant brand.
- Beautycounter - NOT BeautyCounter, Beauty counter or beauty counter.
- When writing or speaking about Beautycounter, please use key terms such as safe, clean, effective and high-performing. Do NOT use organic, natural, non-toxic or preservative-free. Note: We ARE non-toxic. Gregg feels that the term "non-toxic" simply doesn't sound as appealing as the words clean, safe, effective and high-performing. Her statements were within a conversation about proper brand-positioning.
- Please do NOT create your own graphics, fonts or images for social media or any other channel of communication. Headquarters has worked extreamly hard to create beautiful, on brand marketing pieces for us to use (found BTC). If you would like something created please utilize the Print Shop.
- If you don't have the current email signature on your email please follow the instructions on the 'How to Create your Beautycounter Email Signature', found BTC.
Steve Raack, Head of Operations & Gina Murphy, Head of Sales. Key to Success: Consistent Activity!
Regardless of your ability to spend two hours a week on Beautycounter or 20, the key to growing your business is consistency. Create a HABIT. And, shoot for recruiting three new consultants over three months. He stressed that EVERYONE has some room for improvement on recruiting! Often the only thing standing in your way between you and the next promotion level is RECRUITING.
New Start Counting Program & Consultant Training Modules!
On October 1st, you'll hear about our new and improved Start Counting program, which encourages and rewards early activity by new consultants! Bonus: There is something in the new program for the mentor, too!
And, on November 1st, we'll have TRAINING TRACKS AND MODULES for EVERY consultant level! There will be short daily training bytes that a consultant can complete, to help ensure their success! We've been waiting for a defined training program to be implemented, and IT'S COMING!
Christy did complete makeup on one lucky consultant, and we got to watch every step live on the big screen! There were so many great tips and tricks, that there are really too many to write here. But, I would encourage you to spend some time watching Christy's videos on our YouTube channel so that you understand the most effective ways to use our products.
Don't worry - you don't have to be a makeup artist. I'm certainly not! But it's valuable to know things like using our Touchup Skin Concealer Pen as an eye primer; the effectiveness of pressing instead of swiping our brushes; patting oil in vs. rubbing it; using our Crease Eye Brush for our Mattify Skin Finishing Powder in the nostril area, etc.
We each received a new lip gloss that will be available during the holiday season. You'll LOVE it!!!!
ALSO: Here are some notes that Jen Schultz sent out regarding Christy's presentation and worth repeating:
Unlike other companies, we focus not just shoulders up but "toes up" - on the entire body. I loved this phrase and thought it would be fun to use at a social!
- To apply the Touchup Concealer, use either your finger or, for a better finish, the allover eye brush. Apply to the eyelid as a great primer, especially if your eyelids are extra oily.
- When applying eyeliner, lift your lid slightly at the corner of your brow to get as close to your lash line as possible.
- To give your eye that "baby bright" look, use the new Precision Brush to dot a tiny bit of Pearl (lighter complexion) or Champagne (darker complexion) in the very corner of your eye. Not too much.
- ALL foundations are made up of white, red, yellow, and black. (thought this was interesting!)
- The Precision Brush can also be used as a lip brush. It can also be used to apply a touch of concealer around the nostrils, on the chin - anywhere that is redness-prone.
- In lieu of a lip liner, which can produce a harsh line, use our Touchup Pen as a "reverse lipliner". Apply a thin line of Touchup along the top and bottom lip line, and then apply your sheer or gloss. It's amazing!
- The Color Pinch Cream Blush is intended for use on the apple of the cheek (and blended back with finger or brush), never back toward the ear.
You don't have to memorize all of our stats and facts to be effective. You just need to know two or three that you can use in conversation, emails, social media posts, etc. Here are a few that Mia mentioned during her presentation:
- Environmental health factors play a role in about 30% of learning and developmental disabilities in children.
- Sourcing: Organic = having been certified organic / ingredient has been grown a specific way. Natural = came from a plant or a mineral. Plant-based = came from a plant, but then went through a process. Synthetic = made in a lab.
- Lead is an example of something that is natural, but toxic. It can alter the IQ even at very low levels.
- Over 80% of Beautycounter's ingredients are natural or plant-based. ALL are SAFE.
- What really makes Beautycounter different, outside of The Never List, is our rigorous ingredient screening process.
- For naysayers who think that the EWG and/or Beautycounter "has an agenda," we DO. It's to get toxic chemicals out of our products!
- Use the Facts/Stats sheet in Behind the Counter. Don't post or repeat "facts" and stats from random sources, because many of them are inaccurate.
- Beautycounter provides safe, high-performing and clean products.
Next Year's Trip Incentive Starts Now!!
NEW PROMOTION! Almost 32% off of retail!
This is a great new promotion announced this morning! Send it to your clients today! If you are anything like me, I've never used better brushes than ours! ...and our NEW precision brush is awesome too!