FAC Weekly Update
April 3, 2020
Good morning, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a wonderful week. The 1st ever FAC Virtual Spirit Week was an absolute blast! Thank you so much to all of our students who participated, and a HUGE thanks to Ms. Cotter and Ms. Poole for coming up with the idea and daily themes. We hope that this experience brought a little sunshine into the lives of our students throughout the week.
Here's the latest from the halls of the FAC...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
Quotes from Tim Ferriss' book, "Tribe of Mentors." The question posed to the interviewees was, "If you could have a gigantic billboard anywhere with anything on it, what would it say?"
- "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin
- "Learn More, Know Less." - Neal Strauss, NY Times best-selling author
- "Grudges are for those who insist that they are owed something; forgiveness, however, is for those who are substantial enough to move on." - Criss Jami, American poet
- "Hard choices, easy life. Easy choices, hard life." - Jerzy Gregorek, championship weightlifter
- "Ego is about who is right. Truth is about what is right." - Mike Maples, Jr., venture capitalist
Additional Scholarship Opportunities for Senior Students
- World Studio AIGA Art Scholarship: $2,000-$3,000 for basic scholarship; top award up to $5000. For underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students who are studying photography, illustration, and design disciplines in colleges and universities in the United States. Deadline: April 15, 2020. Application can be found on the Worldstudio AIGA website.
- J E Sirrine Scholarship: Students may apply for a $2,000 Sirrine Scholarship by visiting the Sirrine Scholarship Application website. All applications must be submitted online by April 15, 2020. Renewable for a maximum of three (3) years, provided the student maintains satisfactory progress toward the completion of his/her program of studies.
- FRED and MAMIE BOSTIC SCHOLARSHIP - Three $1,100 scholarships are available to African-American High School graduates. Eligibility: Minimum GPA 2.5. Requirements: Must submit three letters of recommendation (1. teacher, principal, counselor or coach 2. advisor or supervisor of a community work program or organization 3.Church official: pastor, youth advisor, Sunday school teacher etc.); Official high school transcript; Personal essay containing 500 words or more explaining why the applicant feels deserving of the scholarship and a completed AS-2 form.; Deadline: April 17, 2020. Submit materials to:
To: Fred and Mamie Bostic Scholarship Fund
201 Kennedy Drive
Greenville, SC 29605
Email: email@example.com Phone: 864-360-3548 (cell) or 864-277-2110
Roy Fluhrer Scholarship
Dr. Roy S. Fluhrer served as the Director of Greenville County School District’s Fine Arts Center from 1989 to 2017. Upon his retirement, a scholarship in his name was established and will be awarded to a graduating Senior on an annual basis. This needs-based scholarship will be awarded to students who demonstrate artistic excellence along with the intent to study the arts at the collegiate/university/conservatory level.
Students may apply via this Google Form - https://forms.gle/eG6DcFp5vWtB8GLV7 - with a deadline of Wednesday, May 6, 2020, to electronically submit the form. A committee will review all applications and the winner will be announced at the Fine Arts Center Commencement on Wednesday, May 20, 2020.
All applications should include two letters of recommendation - one from a teacher and one from a community member who is familiar with your artistic growth and drive for excellence. Please submit a hard copy of the letters to Mr. Popat by the May 6 deadline.
Scholarship Opportunities for Seniors
The scholarships listed below represent the remaining ones to date that the Greenville County School District has posted in Naviance. While there is only one that is specifically arts-related, there are several others to which our students may want to consider applying. Note the deadlines and any other requirements/stipulations. Please reach out to Ms. Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
- Bernice Barton – deadline 4/17 – 2 for $1000 and 2 for $500 – for female students
- Fred and Mamie Bostic Scholarship – deadline 4/17 - $1100 – African American – based on need and merit
- Hattie Mae Sims Memorial Scholarship – deadline 4/24 -$1000 – African American – based on need
- Greenville Tech Foundation Scholarship – deadline 5/1 – amount and criteria vary – 250+ scholarships awarded
- The South Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Education Foundation – deadline 5/1 – the amount varies
- B. Davis Scholarship – deadline 5/22 - $1000 – requires an essay on leadership
- Abbott and Fenner Scholarship – deadline 6/12 - $1000 – essay
- Chapman Foundation Scholarship – deadline 6/15 – amount not specified – minority student –based on merit and need
- Big Sun Scholarships – deadline 6/19 - $500 – sports involvement
- Spartanburg Methodist College – Scholar Program – deadline 6/30 - $31,500 – merit-based
New Online Store - Get Your FAC Gear!
Summer Arts Intensive Programs - Financial Assistance
The Fine Arts Center has set aside some funds to assist students who are applying to summer arts intensive programs. Please note the following guidelines:
- Any student applying for financial assistance must attend the Fine Arts Center for the 2020-2021 School Year.
- Applicants must complete the Google Form linked below. All applications must come with proof of acceptance into the summer intensive program(s), or proof of application if acceptance is pending.
- Selection criteria are as follows
- Financial Need as determined by a pupil's P.I.P. status. The Pupils in Poverty indicator is accessible to us via PowerSchool.
- Merit, based on Grade Point Average and Teacher Input
- Any special circumstances that are causing financial hardship to the family
The Google Form can be accessed here - https://forms.gle/SuQyN5a47ZAn7hhM9. Note that the form can be accessed by students only, via their GCS Google Account. Forms are due on Thursday, April 9, 2020.
Please feel free to contact our Main Office at (864) 355-2550 or email:
Ms. Erin Poole - Secretary to the Director - email@example.com
As of now, all events at the FAC have been postponed. We will release an updated calendar of events once we have more information.