Gas Laws & Environmental Justice
What is Enviromental Justice
- Definition :
- What is environmental racism?
Pollution in LA
LA Ozone Standard
- The City of Los Angeles has the highest concentration of Ozone in America.
- The city of Visalia-Porterville has the second highest concentration of particle pollution.
LA Ozone Standard
- Ozone forms when oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are in the air and sunlight is present.
- Ground level ozone is emitted from natural resources. But it is most harmful as it is emitted from industrial factors.
- The ozone standard implemented in 2008 set at a level of 0.075 ppm that was averaged over an 8-hour period.
PPM or parts per million is the dilute concentration of substances in the air, water, or ground
An air quality monitor measures this standard when a 3-year average of the annual fourth-highest daily maximum recording is less than or equal to 0.075 ppm.
Los Angeles County, average concentration zone contains 0.102 ppm.
This does not meet the national ozone standard of 0.075 ppm, and is among the worst in comparison to the national average of 0.07 ppm.
- Particle pollution also called part is the mixture of solid particles and liquid droplets found in the air.
- They are toxic and caused by emissions from vehicles, factories, and construction sites.
- Los Angeles has the 4th highest short term particle pollution.
- It is the 3rd in year round particle pollution
The Most Pollution
High Pollution Concentration
In these areas there is a large percent of residency and in result the people in these areas are imapcted.
Cause of Ozone and Particle Pollution
- Ground-level ozone,
- Carbon monoxide,
- Sulfur oxides,
- Nitrogen oxides,
Health Impacts of Ozone and Particle Pollution
Ozone or (O3) is commonly known as smog. We breath in Oxygen or (O2) which has one less atom of O3 smog. It exists in the same space as oxygen and makes its way through our bodies just as easy as air would.
It is the most dangerous pollutant in the U.S. yet is the most widespread.
It is invisible and harmful to breathe. Ozone aggressively attacks lung tissue by reacting chemically with it breaking its structure down or causing inflammation.
Particle pollution can increase the risk of heart disease, lung cancer and asthma.
It interferes with the growth and functions of the lungs and can ultimately cause death.
They are in forms of solid and liquid particles that our body naturally can fend off. But they can be in smaller sizes, as the name particles implies, and bypass our natural defenses with ease.
Ozone vs. Oxygen
Charles Law: The principle that the volume of a given mass of an ideal gas is proportional to its temperature as long as its pressure remains constant. Charles's law is a subcase of the ideal gas law.
Temperature and pressure are related to each other because they both react in accordance to their proportions. If temperatures decrease, the pressure also decreases and as the temperature increases, the pressure increases.
Pressure and Temperature
Inner city Los Angeles vs. Coastal Cities
We can fix it!