Mrs. Bertsche and Mrs. Gilbert
Newsletter Week of October 28, 2013
What we are learning
Reading –As we start reading we will be learning about the front cover, back cover, spine, title, author, and illustrator. Students are also encouraged to ask questions while reading. Students will also be learning he difference between a story and a poem. Students are working on being able to tell the characters in a story.
Math – Working on the number 9, the shape octagon, and counting out a certain number of objects.
Color Words – This week we will be working on the color white.
Letters – We will be reviewing upper and lower case letters from A-I. Please work with your child on all their letters and sounds.
Sight Words – Please practice the following sight words: I, am, little, the, a, to, have, is, we, my, like, he, for, red, yellow, blue, orange, green, black, brown, white, pink.
Writing - We will be working on putting spaces between words and ending each sentence with a period.
-Story ("The Pig") Please practice reading the story with your child. Wok with your child every night on this story so that your child can read it perfectly to me on Friday. Please practice reading the title of the story with your child too.
-Sight Words: Please make sure you have all flashcards for the following sight words: I, am, little, the, a, to, have, is, we, my, like, he, for, red, yellow, blue, orange, green, black, brown, white, pink. (If you need notecards please let me know; do not get rid of these; you will add to these every week.)
-Writing Worksheet: Please practice tracing the letters and then writing them on your own.
Other Classroom News
* Please make sure you are checking your child's rocket folder and behavior chart every night.
* Please make sure you are checking and signing your child's behavior chart every night.
* If you have any notes to send in, please put them in the rocket folder.
* If you are sending money in please put it in a sandwich bag or an envelope saying what the money is for and put it in the rocket folder.
* Please do not allow your child to bring toys to school unless it is for an assignment.
* Please work with your child on zipping up coats and jackets and tying their shoes. After winter break we will not be doing this for the children any more.
*If you are sending in birthday treats please make sure you are sending in enough for 24 students.
*Please make sure your child's binder is in order. The order is behavior chart, newsletter, homework, practice work, take home folder.
*Red Ribbon week is going to be October 23rd - October 31st. Your child will be bringing home a bracelet on the 23rd, please have them wear them the whole week.
*Our Halloween Part is on Thursday, October 31st. Your child may wear their costume to school. Students are not allowed to bring their costume here and get dressed. Please do not allow them to wear an face paint. If you could send in some kind of treat or drink for the party we would greatly appreciate it.
-October 25TH: Fall Festival 5:30-8:00
-October 31st: Halloween Party