Texas Women's University
The gardens began in 1930. It is a place for both a biology students who wants to study or simply a recreational center for any garden lovers. A shaded rock garden with benches and terraces of native woodbine sandstone was added in 1932. It continues to provide a quiet place for rest and relaxation. To the left of the rock garden is the Texas Pond. Not only is it shaped like a Lone Star State, it also have native vegetation.
The Little Chapel-in-the-Woods was named one of Texas’ most outstanding architectural achievements. It was built in 1939 and dedicated by Eleanor Roosevelt. The students at the University designed and created the building’s artwork, includes stained glass windows, lighting, woodwork and flooring. The windows includes scenes of women nursing, teaching, speech, literature, dance and music. The Chapel has seen many weddings. The TWU original bridal book contains thousands of names of couples who were married between the years 1939 and 1979 in the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods. The Bridal Book is on display at the Blagg-Huey Library.
Texas Women's Hall of Fame
The Governor's Commission for Women established the Texas Women's Hall of Fame in 1984. The building honors the State's most accomplished women. The people includes the first ladies, teachers, astronauts, and athletes. The Texas Women's Hall of Fame biennial awards ceremony recognizes the achievements of women. In March of 2003, the Governor's Commission for Women established the permanent Texas Women's Hall of Fame exhibit featuring the biographies and photographs of the 122 recipients. The exhibit is located inside Hubbard Hall on the campus of Texas Woman's University in Denton, Texas.