May 10, 2019
In this Message:
- Elementary Task Force Recommendation Process
- Special Services Parent Advisory Committee Presents "Inclusive Education Award"
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Advisory Committee Meeting – May 13
- Science State Assessment Scores
- One Time Transfer Request for Oak Creek Resident Students
- LOSD Smart Start Checklist – 2019/2020
- LO Schools Foundation Seeks your Input
- Retirement Party for Christie Ford – May 29
- Incoming 6th Grade Teen Lounge Open House
- City of Lake Oswego Recruiting for City's Youth Leadership Council
- Seeking Youth Advisory Members for LO City Boards
- Register for the Bus for 2019-2020
- Subscribe to Lake Oswego Schools App
- What's New at Community School?
Elementary Task Force Recommendation Process
On Monday, May 20, the School Board will host the Elementary Task Force to hear and discuss their draft recommendation. To manage urgent capacity issues, the administration will also present their seven interim recommendations (listed below) during a Board work session. The work session will be located in the boardroom at Central Office at 6:00 p.m. Board members will review the recommendations, ask questions, solicit input, and refer the information to the Long Range Facilities Planning Committee and administration for further investigation. The administration will then be tasked with creating a strategy, in partnership with the community, on how best to move forward with task force draft recommendations. Please read more about the Task Force Recommendation Process here.
Special Services Parent Advisory Committee presents "Inclusive Education Award"
The nominee, through their classroom and teaching philosophy, should demonstrate INCLUSION in one or more of the following areas:
- Demonstrates inclusive practices and conduct towards others
- Inspires others to fully include ALL students in all manner of learning and activities
- Builds a sense of confidence, presumes competence, and fosters inclusivity in others
- Creates inclusive activities and/or lessons that leave a positive impact on all learners
Nominations must be received by 8:00 p.m. on Friday, May 17, 2019. Winners and the people who nominated them will be notified by mail.
Science State Assessment Scores
This year Oregon rolled out a new science state assessment, which is administered in grades 5, 8, and high school. Because the assessment is new, the state Department of Education will need time to review and validate the results. School districts will not receive students' scores until late fall 2019. The District will share results with parents after they become available during the 2019-20 school year. (Scores for other 2018-19 state assessments will be mailed home this summer.)
One Time Transfer Request for Oak Creek Resident Students
The Superintendent has provided a one-time opportunity for Oak Creek resident students to request a permanent transfer from Oak Creek to either Lake Grove or Forest Hills. This application opportunity is available between April 18, 2019 through June 20, 2019.
The temporary guidelines for allowing transfers from Oak Creek to Forest Hills or Lake Grove:
- Applications accepted between April 18, 2019 and June 20, 2019 and processed in order of receipt (Maximum 100 students.)
- The District will provide two stops in the Oak Creek attendance area to transport students to Lake Grove and/or Forest Hills. (Kindergarten students require a parent or guardian to meet the school bus at drop-off in order for the driver to release the student.)
- Once the request has been approved for the 2019-20 school year, it does not need to be renewed annually. The approved request is valid until the student completes grades offered at that school.
LOSD Smart Start Checklist – 2019/2020 School Year
LO Schools Foundation Seeks your Input
Tuesday, May 14 from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
The Foundation is focusing on building our endowment fund to help ensure a lasting legacy of
educational excellence for the students and community of Lake Oswego. We are seeking the
advice and input of parents and community residents to help hone the direction of the
endowment before we launch our endowment campaign.
Please join the Lake Oswego Schools Foundation for a participative focus group session
regarding the Foundation’s endowment. We ask you to relax, listen, and provide honest
feedback to our presentation. We do not want your money at these meetings – the “no ask”
rule will be in effect at the focus group meeting. Our sole objective is to listen to your feedback
about elements of our endowment plan.
Meetings will be tightly organized to begin and end on time. Consultant Tom Wilson of Major
Gift Fundraising, a North American nonprofit consulting firm, will facilitate our sessions.
To RSVP, you can register online by clicking here; reply to this email; or call us to let us know
you can make it. Focus groups are limited to 40 attendees. If you have any questions, please
feel free to call us at 503-534-2119 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retirement Party for Christie Ford – May 29
3:30 to 5:00 p.m.
Hallinan Elementary School – library
16800 Hawthorne Drive; LO
Christie has been a teacher at Lake Oswego since 1979. She has taught 2nd through 6th grade at multiple schools in the District. Rumor has it that she now holds the record for longest tenure at LOSD!
Incoming 6th Grade Teen Lounge Open House
The LO Teen Lounge is hosting an open house for all incoming 6th grade students and parents! Come chat with staff, tour the lounge and get a preview of Fall programs.
Held at the LO Teen Lounge, 1060 Chandler Rd.
Call 503-697-6589 with questions.
City of Lake Oswego Recruiting for City's Youth Leadership Council
Seeking Youth Advisory Members for LO City Boards
Positions are available to current Sophomores and Juniors who reside within the city limits of Lake Oswego. Terms of service are from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
Interested students should submit an application and a letter of recommendation from a faculty member from their school.
Interviews will be held on Saturday, June 8, with appointments made on July 2.
Register for the Bus for 2019-20
Registration is now open for bus transportation for the 2019-20 school year.
Please complete the registration form with as much detail as possible. This will help us create our routing schedule for the 2019-20 school year. Call the Transportation Department at 503-387-5078 with questions. Please note that this request does not guarantee transportation. Restrictions apply to students that are open enrolled or who live within the walk zone. Bus Registration Deadline is August 1, 2019.
If parents are ever concerned about a student’s well-being, feel free to reach out to your principal. It is important to keep your lines of communication open and maintain strong partnerships between students, families, staff, and other resources.
SafeOregon also is an effective way to report a tip regarding safety threats or potential acts of violence to our students or schools.
(Students should also know that intentionally providing a false report is a serious offense.)
What's New at Community School?
The LOSD Community School offers enrichment and athletic programs, and activities for students of all ages including robotics, STEM, arts, language, and theater.
You are receiving this message because you are the parent or guardian of a student in the Lake Oswego School District.
We hope you will assist us in our efforts to communicate efficiently and economically by continuing to receive these messages.
If you believe you have received this communication in error, or if you no longer wish to receive email communications from your school and the district, please contact:
Christine Moses, Communications Director at Christine.Moses@loswego.k12.or.us