For the week of October 4, 2021

Big picture
Big picture


Big picture
Big picture


Student Arrival:Car Drop Off

Families/Guardians please drop students off by entering the parking lot, driving around the back loop located near the E building, and dropping off at the crosswalk of the bus loop. As a reminder the bus loop will need to be clear and used for the safe arrival and departure of the buses. Thank you for supporting the buses for our amazing drivers to stay on a timely schedule supporting safe travel of the students. Thank you.

Student Dismissal: Walkers, Bus Riders, and Car Pick-Up

There will be two bells to stagger dismissal in support of physical distancing. The first bell will be at 3:05pm and it will be for Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade. The second bell will be at 3:10pm and it will be for 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade.

  • For dismissal, students riding the bus will walk through the front two doors of the school.

  • The students that are walkers will exit out of the black gate on the East side of the building to meet parents and guardians.

  • Students that are car riders will proceed through the gate located between D and E buildings and parents will pick them up in the loop on the west side of the building.

As a reminder, the bus loop will need to be clear and used for the safe arrival and departure of the buses. Thank you for supporting the buses for our amazing drivers to stay on a timely schedule supporting safe travel of the students. Thank you.
Big picture
Big picture

Upcoming Important Dates

October 8th: No School for Students - Teacher In Service Day

October 11th: Indigenous People Day

October 12th: Picture day

October 13th: Early Release at 2:10 pm

October 27th: Early Release at 2:10 pm

Big picture


If you child is going to be absent from school, please make sure you call the front office at 206-901-7700 to report the absence.

Did you know?

Too many absences - excused or unexcused - can keep students from succeeding in school and in life. How many are too many? 10% of the school year - that's 18 missed days or 2 days a month - can knock students off track.

Big picture
Big picture

Picture Day is October 12th

Big picture
Make sure to practice that fabulous smile because picture day is Tuesday October 12, 2021. Order forms are going home this week so Cougar parents, make sure to check backpacks for the forms.
Big picture
Big picture


Due to the public health emergency, USDA has given schools the flexibility to operate the Seamless Summer Option (SSO) in school year 2021-22. School/School District operating SSO will offer meals each school day at no charge to all students. In anticipation of a return to normal child nutrition program operations and the potential expansion of P-EBT into SY 21-22, we are encouraging families to complete and submit an application for free or reduced price meals.

Who should fill out an application?

Fill out the application if:

• Total household income is the SAME or LESS than the amount on the chart.

• You receive Basic Food, take part in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), or receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) for your children.

• You are applying for foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court. Turn in the application to: The Main office at your child’s school, District Office, of Food Service Department. Be sure to submit ONLY ONE application per household. We will notify you if the application is approved or denied. If any child you are applying for is homeless (McKinney-Vento), or migrant, check the appropriate box.

What counts as income?

Who is considered a member of my household? Look at the income chart below. Find your household size. Find your total household income. If members in the household are paid at different times during the month and you are unsure if your household is eligible, fill out an application and we will determine your income eligibility for you. The information you give will be used to determine your child's eligibility for free or reduced-price meals. Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals regardless of personal use income. If you have questions about applying for meal benefits for foster children, please contact us at 206-901-8068 or 206-901-8004.

Big picture

HOUSEHOLD is defined as all persons, including parents, children, grandparents, and all people related or unrelated who live in your home and share living expenses. If applying for a household with a foster child, you may include the foster child in the total household size.

HOUSEHOLD INCOME is considered to be the income each household member received before taxes. This includes wages, social security, pension, unemployment, welfare, child support, alimony, and any other cash income. If including a foster child as part of the household, you must also include the foster child’s personal income. Do not report foster payments as income.

What must be on the application?

A. For households not getting any assistance:

• Student name(s)

• Names of all household members

• Income by source for all household members

• Adult household member's signature

• Last 4 digits of social security number of the adult household member who signs the application (or if the adult signing does not have a social security number, check the associated box).

Complete Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5; Part 6 is optional.

B. For households with only foster child(ren)

• Student’s name

• Adult household member signature Complete Parts 1 and 5. Part 6 is optional.

You may also send the school a copy of the court documentation showing the foster child(ren) was/were placed with you instead of filling out an application form.

Last 4 digits of SSN are not required for B.

C. For a family getting Basic Food/TANF/FDPIR:

• List all student names

• Enter a case number

• Adult household member's signature Complete Parts 1, 2, 4, and 5. Part 6 is optional.

Last 4 digits of SSN are not required for C.

D. For household with a foster child(ren) and other children:

Apply as a household and include foster children. Follow the directions for “A. For households not getting any assistance:” and include the foster child’s personal use income.

National School Lunch Program/School Breakfast Program

2021-22 Letter to Households (SSO Schools)

What if I’m not receiving basic food dollars?

If you have been approved for Basic Food but do not actually receive Basic Food dollars, you may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. You must apply for meal benefits by filling out a meal application and returning it to your child’s school.

Do my children automatically qualify if they have a case number?

Yes. Children on TANF or Basic Food may get free meals and children receiving some Medicaid benefits may be eligible for free or reduced price meals without the household having to complete an application. These children are identified by the school using a data matching process. This matched list is then made available to your child’s school food service staff. The students on this list get free meals if their schools have the free and reduced-price breakfast and/or lunch program (not all schools do). Please contact us immediately if you feel your children should be receiving free meals and are not. If you do not want your child to participate in the free meal programs using this method, please notify the school.

If anyone in my household has a case number, will all children qualify for free meals?

Yes. If someone else in the household has a case number, other than a foster child, you must fill out an application and send it to your student’s school. Please contact us immediately if you feel other children in your household should be receiving free meals and are not.

Basic Food - Can I qualify for assistance in buying food?

Basic Food is the state’s food stamp program. It helps households make ends meet by providing monthly benefits to buy food. Getting Basic Food is easy! You can apply in person at the local DSHS Community Service Office, by mail, or online. There are other benefits too. You can learn about Basic Food by calling 1-877-501-2233 or by logging on to

We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?

Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one?

Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

What if some household members have no income to report?

Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

Health Coverage

To inquire about or apply for health care coverage for kids in your family, please visit or you may call Washington Health Plan Finder at 1-855-923-4633.

What if my child needs special foods?

If your child needs special foods, contact the school/district food service office.

Proof of Eligibility

The information you provide may be verified at any time. You may be asked to send additional information to prove your child is eligible to receive free and reduced-price meals.

Fair Hearing If you do not agree with the decision on your child's application or the process used to prove income eligibility, you may talk with Veronica Birdsong, the fair hearing official. You have the right to a fair hearing which may be arranged by calling the school/school district at this number 206- 901-8000.


You may apply for benefits any time during the school year. If you should have a decrease in household income, an increase in household size, or become unemployed, or receive Basic Food, TANF, or FDPIR, you may be eligible for benefits and may fill out an application at that time


Completed applications can be returned to Cascade View or emailed to the Office Manager, Angela Meyer, at
Big picture
Big picture



In a shelter or transitional housing

In a motel or campground / inadequate housing (lack of water, electricity, heat or overcrowded)

In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station

Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship or moving from place to place (couch surfing) / youth living with adult that is not a parent or legal guardian

Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.


  • Receive a free, appropriate public education.

  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.

  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.

  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference.

  • If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.

  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.

  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children's needs.

If you believe your children may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available. There also may supports available for your preschool-age children.

For help or questions, please contact:

Julie Herdt

Quality Engagement Specialist for Elementary Students and Families

Tukwila School District


If you need further assistance with your children's educational needs, contact the National Center for Homeless Education:


Big picture
Big picture



Every year The Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) puts out a report card on every district and school in the state. To view the report card for the district, please click on the link below.

To view the report card for Cascade View, please click on the link below.

Detailed instructions can be found here:

Big picture


Cascade View is a Title 1 School

Cascade View Elementary School receives federal money to fund a School-wide Title 1 program. Title 1 programs are intended to help ensure that all children have the opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach proficiency on challenging state academic standards and assessments. The program focuses on promoting reform in high-poverty schools (those with 40% or more students from low-income families) and ensures student access to scientifically-based instructional strategies and challenging academic content. Cascade View uses most of Title 1 funds to pay for important staff members, including highly qualified Instructional Assistants and our Literacy and Math Interventionists. Funds are also reserved for professional development for teachers that is designed to raise the achievement of low-achieving students by improving instruction throughout the entire school. If you have any questions about our Title 1 programs, please feel free to speak with Ms. Fremstad at 206-901-7700.

The Tukwila School District complies with all federal rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, color, national origin, or disability. This holds true for all district students, employees, and district employment and opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the school district’s title IX/RCW 28A.640 officer and/or Section 504/ADA coordinator located at 4640 S 144 Street, WA 98168: Aaron Draganov, Title IX/RCW28A.640 Officer (206.901.8005) and Jennifer Jones, Section 504/ADA Coordinator (206.901.8035) Cascade View Elementary is a Schoolwide Title I School

Title 1 Complaints Process

Here is an overview of the citizen complaint process described fully in Chapter 392-168 WAC, Special Service Programs—Citizen Complaint Procedure for Certain Categorical Federal Programs.

A citizen complaint is a written statement that alleges a violation of a federal rule, law or regulation or state regulation that applies to a federal program.

  • Anyone can file a citizen complaint.
  • There is no special form.
  • There is no need to know the law that governs a federal program to file a complaint.

Follow steps 1 through 5 to complete the citizen complaint process.

STEP 1 Use Your Local Process First

If you have followed the citizen complaint process of your school district, ESD or school service provider (subgrantee) and are unable to reach a satisfactory solution, use this citizen complaint process through OSPI.

STEP 2 File a Citizen Complaint Through OSPI

A citizen complaint must be in writing, signed by the person filing the complaint, and include:

  • Contact Information of the Person Filing the Complaint. Your name, address, telephone number and email, if you have one.
  • Optional: If someone is helping you to file this citizen complaint, include 1) their contact information, and 2) your relationship to them — for example, family member, a relative, friend or advocate.

  • Information About the School District, ESD or School Service Provider You Believe Committed This Violation. Name and address of the school district, ESD or school service provider (subgrantee) you think violated a federal rule, law or regulation or a state regulation that applies to a federal program.

  • The Facts — What, Who & When. Include a description of the facts and dates, in general, of when you think the alleged violation happened.

  1. What specific requirement has been violated?
  2. When did this violation occur?
  3. Who you believe is responsible: names of all the people, and the program or organization involved.

  • Optional: Did you file a written citizen complaint first with the school district, ESD or school service provider? Although not required by Chapter 392-168 WAC, it is helpful if we can review a copy of your citizen complaint and the results, if any.

  • The Resolution You Expect. A proposed solution, if you think you know or have ideas about how the issue can be resolved.

STEP 3 Mail or Fax Your Written Citizen Complaint to OSPI

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction

Attn: Citizen Complaint-Title I, Part A

P.O. Box 47200

Olympia, WA 98504

Fax: (360) 586-3305

STEP 4 OSPI Staff Process Your Complaint

Once federal program staff at OSPI receive your written complaint, here is what follows:

  1. OSPI sends a copy of your complaint to the school district, ESD or school service provider (subgrantee).
  2. The school district, ESD or school service provider begins a formal investigation led by a designated employee.
  3. The designated employee provides the written response of the investigation to OSPI — within 20 calendar days.
  4. OSPI staff will send you a copy of the results of the investigation conducted by the

school district, ESD or school provider (subgrantee).

Their response must clearly state one of two results:

  • Denial of the allegations in your complaint and the reason for denial.
  • Proposal of reasonable actions that will correct the violation.

If you need to provide more information about the allegations in the complaint, send that information to OSPI within 5 calendar days of the date of the response from the school district, ESD or school service provider (subgrantee).

STEP 5 Final Decision by OSPI

OSPI will send you the final decision in writing within 60 calendar days of the date federal program staff at OSPI received your written complaint — unless exceptional circumstances demand that this investigation take more time.

Here are the steps OSPI staff will follow to reach a final decision:

  1. Review all the information gathered related to your complaint. The review could include the results of an independent, on-site investigation.
  2. Decide independently whether or not the district, ESD or school service provider (subgrantee) violated a federal rule, law or regulation or a state regulation that applies to a federal program.
  3. Provide you with the final decision: Findings of fact, conclusions, and reasonable measures necessary to correct any violation.
  4. The district, ESD or school service provider (subgrantee) must take the corrective actions OSPI prescribes within 30 calendar days of the final decision.
  5. A citizen complaint is considered resolved when OSPI has issued a final written decision and corrective measures, if necessary, are complete.

Extend or Waive Timelines

If you as the complainant, and the school district, ESD or school service provider (subgrantee) named in your citizen complaint agree to extend the timelines, this agreement must be in writing and sent to OSPI within 10 calendar days of the date the school district, ESD or school service provider (subgrantee) received notification from OSPI.

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction

Attn: Citizen Complaint—Title I, Part A

P.O. Box 47200

Olympia, WA 98504