Mrs. Dearmon's Rockin' Fourth Grade
January 4th - 8th, 2016
- Thank you again to all the parents who sent items in or volunteered at our winter party. It would not have happened without you!!
- Science test on the Animals unit is Friday. I will be having a morning review at 7:45 Friday morning for all students would like to attend.
- Now is a great time to restock supplies!!! The students are in need of pencils, pencil top erasers, glue, and dry erase markers.
- Reminder that students need to dress in layers. We go outside every day before noon so the temperatures are still chilly.
- Before our break, we had another STEAM challenge. The students had to get their elf up on the "roof". Many were successful and we all had lots of fun! See the pictures below of our engineering designs.
- How about those Redskins!!!! Hope you will join me in cheering them on during their play off game next week.
What is Going on This Week in Curriculum?
Mrs. Dearmon's Math Class
- Monday we begin our new unit on adding and subtracting decimals. We start with addition today. Much of our focus will be incorporating single and multi-step word problems with the decimals.
- Tuesday we move to subtraction of decimals.
- Wednesday our focus will be on word problems including decimals. Students will have to decide whether they need to add, subtract, or do both.
- Thursday we will continue working on word problems and reviewing addition and subtraction of decimals.
- Friday the students will have a 10 question quiz on the computer using IA. The quiz will include adding and subtracting decimals.
We will continue with our math workshop style of learning for this unit. The students really seem to enjoy the chance to review skills through games, work in smaller groups with the teacher and review their facts on the computer.
- Independent reading each day.
- Small groups will be working on problem and solution this week. We will begin with a whole group lesson and then will be reading stories in small groups. The students will be identifying the problems and solutions throughout a story.
- There will be a newspaper and Spectrum sheet this week.
- We begin work on our realistic fiction writing. I am going to be using lessons from the workshop I attended this summer in New York. The students will be choosing a "seed moment" to write about.
- Next, the students will be developing characters with internal and external traits.
- By the end of the week, the students will decide on the character(s) motivations and struggles and create a scene showing this.
- We are back to a full week of science this week, Monday to Friday.
- Monday through Wednesday, we will be going over ecosystems, habitats, populations, niches and human impacts on ecosystems.
- Thursday is a review day to prepare for the test. The students will have a review sheet to complete Wednesday night, so we can go over it Thursday before we play Jeopardy.
- I have added MANY review items to Edmodo for the students to view and play. Please have your child spend some time on these sites. It is a great way to review for the unit test on animals.
- No Virginia Studies this week.
Spring Run Elementary Room 500
Fourth Grade Teacher